01 2500HD front hub bearings

Mattt

Ive read about the front hub bearing going bad on 2500HDs. Id like to make sure mine are good still. Do I just jack up the front end and try to move the tire/wheel/hub up & down, side to side?

Ive already got front end issues with a leaky steering box, and Im trying to eliminate any other front end problems. Seems like I read its all related, steering box, pitman arm wear, front bearing wear, especially when you go to larger tires. Ive got 285/75-16 which isnt much bigger, must be enough to cause problems. Ive got the Cognito pitman/idler support kit to install, but Id like to fix everything up first.

Well, that type of play in the wheels can also be caused by other things...Like ball joints. So I would say that the best way is to pull off the hubs and have a look-see.

But maybe somebody else has a better suggestion.

On the upside, the last couple sets of front end bearings I've done were fairly easy and relatively cheap.

With the method that you mentioned (pulling up/down and side to side on the tires) excessive movement could be a combination on items. Excessive up/down play could be either the wheel bearings or the upper and/or lower ball joints, or even the upper control arm bushings. Excessive side to side play could be the bearings, or the inner or outer tie rod ends, upper control arm bushings.

The good thing with that method, is that if everything is tight, you are 99% likely good to go. :chevy:

Mine made a thumping noise. I took off wheels to rebalance them (I thought wheel was out of balance) and I noticed that I could wiggle the wheel back and forth as I grabbed the top and bottom of tire. Hope this helps. BTW, the bearings and hubs come all as one unit with the bearings pressed into the hub. They cost $300-$350 each depending where you get them.

For the wheel bearing check you'll have to place your hands at 12 and 6. Rock the tire/wheel up and down by pushing in with one hand while pulling out with the other and vise versa. If the bearing is really bad you'll feel a notable freeplay. Ball joints usually require more effort and force to unload. Also with these hubs you can spin the wheel in air and after it's going a good speed just put your ear upto the center and listen. If you hear a constant bearing noise that's fine but it there's cycling difference in the sound you have a problem. Sometimes they have a quite spot and others have a grind spot. When they are on that spot the play will be greatest.

You can't look into the actual bearing/hub without taking them apart so taking the wheels off won't help you.

Vernon

Was the thumping noise when driving? Sometimes, mine makes a rattling noise when I go over bumps or dips in the road.  Im starting to wonder if its the wheel bearings.

Yeah the thumping noise was when driving at speeds of over about 25mph. I did the check like Haulin' 8.1 said and had very noticeable play in the wheel. If it is the bearing, you'd have the noise constantly.

Thanks guys for the pointers, Im going to check them out later today. Ive already put the front wheels in the air and spun the wheels/tires. Seemed like they didnt want to spin & stay in motion too long, I figured it was a combination of wheel/tire weight, drag from axles, CVs, etc.

Archived