I have been looking at these trucks a little on the web. With fuel prices the way they are, my wheels are starting to turn a little. I do have some questions though.

What kind of milage do you get out of the 4.3 with daily driving?

What rear end ratio does the truck have? Locking Diff?

I know the truck looks totally different on the outside, but what exactly is included with the ZR2 package?

What Tranny, Transfer Case and "Pumpkins" does the truck have?

I noticed that some models have a third door. What year did this start and is it a good design? Any water or air leaks? Does it rattle or squeek at all? Should I stay away from this option or is it great?

Are their any typical problems with the truck? I have not been around S-10 trucks for at least 15 years, so I am very unfamiliar with any "standard issues".

Thanks for all the input and advice! :chevy:

What kind of milage do you get out of the 4.3 with daily driving?My 96 got about 15.5 mpg. This was a regular cab and it still was 4400lbs. My 03 gets about a milemore per gallon.

What rear end ratio does the truck have? 3.73s

Locking Diff? G80

I know the truck looks totally different on the outside, but what exactly is included with the ZR2 package? The front a-arm mounting points are mounted 2" lower on the frame and pushed out about an inch in the front, giving the front the lift and wider track. The rear leaf spring mount is larger in the back, giving the rear it's lift. The larger mount drops the leaf spring down, kinda like putting a larger shackle, but it's stationary. The front of the ZR2 from is fully boxed. It comes with a 28 spline 8.5" 10 bolt, instead of the 7.5".

What Tranny, Transfer Case and "Pumpkins" does the truck have? Tranny-stock s-10 4L60, transfer case-stock-s10. Front diff- stock s10.

Most of the rest of the parts are stock s10 except for the trans/transfer case adapter is different and the front CV shafts are specific to the ZR2 because of increased track width.

IMO, I loved my ZR2. It was a fun little truck. I still have it and it still runs strong. I just like my 03 better and did I mention it's better on fuel. ZR2s could also use a little more power. The 4.3 is O.K. in that truck, but more power would be nice.

What kind of milage do you get out of the 4.3 with daily driving?My 96 ZR2 got about 15.5 mpg. This was a regular cab and it still was 4400lbs. My 03 silverado w/ a 5.3L gets about a mile more per gallon.

What rear end ratio does the truck have? 3.73s

Locking Diff? G80

I know the truck looks totally different on the outside, but what exactly is included with the ZR2 package? The front a-arm mounting points are mounted 2" lower on the frame and pushed out about an inch in the front, giving the front the lift and wider track. The rear leaf spring mount is larger in the back, giving the rear it's lift. The larger mount drops the leaf spring down, kinda like putting a larger shackle, but it's stationary. The front of the ZR2 frame is fully boxed. It comes with a 28 spline 8.5" 10 bolt rear axle, instead of the 7.5".

What Tranny, Transfer Case and "Pumpkins" does the truck have? Tranny-stock s-10 4L60, transfer case-stock-s10-Mine has a 231, but that's the manual shift. I'm not sure what the push button has. Front diff- stock s10- 7.2".

Most of the rest of the parts are stock s10 except for the trans/transfer case adapter is different and the front CV shafts are specific to the ZR2 because of increased track width.

The only regular problems I have with my truck are that it eats idler arms and the remote oil filter lines, which is a common problem on most s10s. I'm on my third set of lines and set number three is already leaking and my idler arms only last about 60K miles. It now is close to 150k miles

IMO, I loved my ZR2. It was a fun little truck. I still have it and it still runs strong. I just like my 03 better and did I mention it's better on fuel. ZR2s could also use a little more power. The 4.3 is O.K. in that truck, but more power would be nice.

I have a 99 S-10 ZR2 truck.

I would be VERY cautious on your decision to buy one. I have dumped ALOT of money into mine and I don't even beat on it or offroad it. I have spent $10,000 in repair shop work since I have owned it. I'm not at all mad about it because I really like my truck but most guys that post on ZR2.com say our trucks are problematic.

I loved my '94 ZR2 but didn't keep it long (11,400 miles) I needed more room than the regular cab had.(Thats when I started buying Full-Size Ext.Cabs)

Like Hecktorx said,The best I got with mileage was 15-16 back and forth to work and about 17-18 on the highway on long trips going to NASCAR races.

And yes the oil lines and also lower ball joints are always going bad,My lower ball joints were shot at 10,000 miles,And I lubed them every 2,500 miles when I changed oil.

Almost every one that comes in here at the dealership needs the oil lines for "seepage" and the lower ball joints always have excessive play in them.

I loved it,But the gas mileage and room (Or lack-there-of) just made the truck what I call a "bad decision to buy"

My brother had a '01 Ext.Cab S10 4x4 "NON-ZR2" with the 3.73 gears and P235/75R15 tires and the gas mileage on that thing was even worse,I mean he couldn't get better than 14 in town and on the couple trips him and his wife made he got 16-17.

The only advantage for him and the reason he bought it was price,It stickered for around $21,000 and a Full-Size was around $30,000.

I replaced most of my front end parts at 38,000 miles. I did the Upper and Lower ball joints, Idler Arm, And the Pitman arm. All parts were MOOG brand.

Right now I'm hitting 70,000 miles and I have greased everything on my truck myself and everything is tight like brand new.

I get 16 - 17mpg for daily driving on mine.

As far as the third door, they are extremely handy and well worth it. They were first available as a option in very late model '96 S-10's. They became standard around 2000.(don't know the exact year.) If they are seated right you have minimal rattle over rough road. The only time I have had water leakage was when my gasket seal needed replacing. Other than that it is a great feature.

Front suspension is the weakpoint on these trucks. It is barely adequate for stock ZR2 suspension and if you add any additional suspension lift/bigger tires it will increase you chance for breakage.

Last on the oil lines.. I have never had this problem on any of my ZR2's but I could just be lucky. I know others have.

The ZR2 is a unique looking truck that is usually very dependable and if you get a 5speed a joy to drive. :rolleyes:

I get 16 - 17mpg for daily driving on mine.

As far as the third door, they are extremely handy and well worth it.  They were first available as a option in very late model '96 S-10's. They became standard around 2000.(don't know the exact year.) If they are seated right you have minimal rattle over rough road. The only time I have had water leakage was when my gasket seal needed replacing. Other than that it is a great feature.

Front suspension is the weakpoint on these trucks. It is barely adequate for stock ZR2 suspension and if you add any additional suspension lift/bigger tires it will increase you chance for breakage.

Last on the oil lines.. I have never had this problem on any of my ZR2's but I could just be lucky. I know others have.

The ZR2 is a unique looking truck that is usually very dependable and if you get a 5speed a joy to drive. :rolleyes:

I can vouch for that 5 speed. I really have enjoyed having it vs the auto.

I've only had to do my oil lines once.

The only beef I have with the 3rd doors is the fact they rust out for some reason. Of course, I do live in the salt belt but the other two doors are rust free.

I got a 95 ext. cab zr2, I love it to death. It just rolled over 200k in july. The engine is still plenty strong-it is the CPI 4.3L though- and the 5spd is a blast- except when the engine mounts are blown- then the passenger tends to cuss at you in 4lo 1st gear :nopity: Gas mileage is 16 in town, 18 highway, not bad at all for a 4x4. The main problem I have with them is there is almost no aftermarket support for these things, so it makes it difficult to make the truck better without custom building it...

Would I buy it again? Definately. Good luck with your decision...

Tom

• 1 month later...

Archived