Heated Seats question

I know this has been asked before but I can't find a straightforward answer....does anyone have any firsthand experience installing seat heaters themselves ? I've seen JP Customs kit and I am wondering about that kit or any other one.....I've looked into having it done and they want $630....I've done lots of work myself, just never had seats apart before (they are cloth) and I feel a little intimidated with this...

Thanks !

I am an EE for the seat supplier on these trucks. My group is responsible for the integration of all electrical components in these seats(including the new 900 program). I've never seen the heated seat kits you mentioned, but what do you want to know?

I am an EE for the seat supplier on these trucks.  My group is responsible for the integration of all electrical components in these seats(including the new 900 program).  I've never seen the heated seat kits you mentioned, but what do you want to know?

I am looking to find out how difficult of an install it is to add seat heaters to cloth seats.

Thanks !

Sorry for the late response...

It is not hard wioth some of the kits I've seen, but some tools may be required. I can't remember if the trim is hogringed on or velcro. In the trenches of the seat foam, attachments are used to keep the trim in place. You'll have to find out which type. If it is hogringed, you'll need a hogring tool. Velcro - obviously not tools needed. Placing the heated seat mat - Make sure that it does not intrude into trenches and make sure there are no resistive element showing externally on the mat. Route the wires so that there are no interferences to any of the seat components. Not sure how you plan on tapping the power source, but I assume there is a module that will need to be wired in. Place the switch where you want it and follow any circuit diagrams that should be supplied with the heated seat kit.

To follow OEM heated seat requirements would be VERY involved including changing the body harness and seat harness. Holes in the door panel would need to be cut and the door and seat modules swapped.

Bottomline - Take your time. Either way it is fairly involved and probably best if the seat is removed from the vehicle. I cannot tell you how to do the power part, unless you went the OEM route. Good luck..

They're Velcro. The power seat adjuster is a real PITA to deal with. If you have power seats, I'd recomend against removing the seats, just take the bottom cushion out.

The manual seats are pretty simple. The only thing to watch out for there would be the integrated seat belt retractor in the backrest. It is somewhat difficult to work around.

They're Velcro. The power seat adjuster is a real PITA to deal with. If you have power seats, I'd recomend against removing the seats, just take the bottom cushion out.

The manual seats are pretty simple. The only thing to watch out for there would be the integrated seat belt retractor in the backrest. It is somewhat difficult to work around.

Hmmmm....OK....I do have a drivers side power seat so that's good to know.....I don't see any hog rings anywhere so that's good news.....anyone know how to remove the armrest ?

Thanks !

Archived