Door Hinges???

hate to say it but if you do that you will have a bunch of problems.

The replacment bushings do not last as long as the orignal ones, not sure why, but that is how it is.

Sorry, wrong truck:

Here is yours:

Document ID# 700419

2001 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy C Silverado - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Replacement - Front Door

The door hinge pins and bushings are not replaceable. If the hinge pins or bushings are damaged, replace the door hinge as an assembly. Refer to Hinge Replacement - Front Door - Door Side and Hinge Replacement - Front Door - Body Side .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 700419

2001 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy C Silverado - 2WD

funny, I was just getting ready to post about my door bushings, except I have a 2003 silverado.

Are the hinges in the 01's and the 03's the same?

I bought one of those "HELP!" door hinge bushing kits in the red box from the local auto parts store but I'm not sure how the heck to get the original pins and bushings out of the existing hinge plates, or how hard/easy it will be to get the replacement pins pressed into the hinge for that matter.

Are you saying that the door hinge bushing kits don't last very long either, mcreyaufmiller? I don't see how the replacement bushings could be much worse than the factory bushings personally. My truck is only 3 years old and the driver door already has a 1/4" or better slop and droop in the hinge. How can you get much worse than that?

on my 98, we installed new bushings and they lasted about 6 months before going out badly. I ended up buying a set of factory hinges and removing the bushings and installing them on my hinges. The bushings we installed first were from Chevy, I was told that the replacments are not made from the same material and will not last as long. The TSB above sataes that you should replace the whole hinge.

I replaced my 97's a year ago (bushings and pins) on the drivers side door 1 year ago with zero problems. I used GM parts. From what I could tell the replacement bushings we harder than the factory ones (they broke easy).

I did both front doors on my 2000 Jimmy absolutely zero trouble.

Reading that TSB GM wants to sell a high price hinge and not cheap bushings and pins.

on my 98, we installed new bushings and they lasted about 6 months before going out badly.  I ended up buying a set of factory hinges and removing the bushings and installing them on my hinges.  The bushings we installed first were from Chevy, I was told that the replacments are not made from the same material and will not last as long.  The TSB above sataes that you should replace the whole hinge.

I replaced my 97's a year ago (bushings and pins) on the drivers side door 1 year ago with zero problems. I used GM parts. From what I could tell the replacement bushings we harder than the factory ones (they broke easy).

Reading that TSB GM wants to sell a high price hinge and not cheap bushings and pins.

on my 98, we installed new bushings and they lasted about 6 months before going out badly.  I ended up buying a set of factory hinges and removing the bushings and installing them on my hinges.  The bushings we installed first were from Chevy, I was told that the replacments are not made from the same material and will not last as long.  The TSB above sataes that you should replace the whole hinge.

On the OBS trucks, the hinges were connected to the door frames and non replacable. Aparently, the new trucks have replacable hinges. Who knows.

On the OBS trucks, the hinges were connected to the door frames and non replacable. Aparently, the new trucks have replacable hinges. Who knows.

Thats the way mine are...welded on. I got the bushings and the pins from GM. While replacing the hinges wouldn't happen due to the construction, bushing replacement can occur.

Ok, somehow it seems this thread has got a bit off track.

I think we can agree that the 98 and older trucks allowed you to change the hinge bushings. I think we can also agree that the hinges on the 99+ trucks likely have, at the very least, a slightly different design than the pre-99 trucks. Then again, I may be wrong by assuming that they are different.

I'd really like to hear from anyone that has changed the hinge bushings or hinges, whatever the case may be, on the 99-06 body style trucks.

I bought the hinge bushing kit from the local auto parts store and now that I've looked both the new parts and the existing hinge over, I can't say that I know $.02 more about how to change the dam* hinges than I did before I ever had the idea to change them in the first place!! LOL

Has anyone tried repairing the door hinges/bushings yet?

Funny I didn't ask for you to moderate...

I was trying to find out where this other guy was comimg from in his post. Just because you may not have an intrest is NOT my problem.

Have a nice day

Ok, somehow it seems this thread has got a bit off track. 

I think we can agree that the 98 and older trucks allowed you to change the hinge bushings.  I think we can also agree that the hinges on the 99+ trucks likely have, at the very least, a slightly different design than the pre-99 trucks.  Then again, I may be wrong by assuming that they are different.

I'd really like to hear from anyone that has changed the hinge bushings or hinges, whatever the case may be, on the 99-06 body style trucks. 

I bought the hinge bushing kit from the local auto parts store and now that I've looked both the new parts and the existing hinge over, I can't say that I know $.02 more about how to change the dam* hinges than I did before I ever had the idea to change them in the first place!! LOL

Has anyone tried repairing the door hinges/bushings yet?

Archived