Photo
- - - - -

Quadrasteer Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 trip1230

trip1230

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:03 PM

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra Denali and the Quadrasteer and rear end was making a very loud grinding noise and squeel. I took it to my local dealer and they replaced the rear end and the steering unit and it worked great, for about 2500 miles. Then it started grinding and squeeling again.

Now, it's at the dealer again and they found metal shavings in the rear axle casing. The dealer came clean and told me that they used the wrong gear oil when they replaced the rear end the first time. Supposedly there is a special lube for quadrasteer rear axles and they used a synthetic, the same as all the other trucks. He claims that it wouldn't have caused this but I'm not entirely convinced.

Could this wrong lube cause the rear axle to fail again in 2500 miles?

#2 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:39 PM

First let me say that I've seen exactly ONE truck with quadrasteer, and it wasn't in for repairs, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

That said, I could find nothing in our service information that indicates the lube for the rear axle on a quadrasteer truck is any different than any other axle. I don't see why it would be any different. A differential is a differential. The fact that there's some steering mechanism hung on the outside and the wheels can pivot a bit shouldn't change that.

#3 trip1230

trip1230

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

First let me say that I've seen exactly ONE truck with quadrasteer, and it wasn't in for repairs, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

That said, I could find nothing in our service information that indicates the lube for the rear axle on a quadrasteer truck is any different than any other axle.  I don't see why it would be any different.  A differential is a differential.  The fact that there's some steering mechanism hung on the outside and the wheels can pivot a bit shouldn't change that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would tend to agree that there wouldn't be a difference but the dealers comment prompted me to do a little research myself. The following site states exactly what he told me...

Quadra Steer Lube

Note the part number that is recommended by GM. My repair invoice states that they used part number 89021677 to service it.

However, I don't know the scope of damage that could be done if you use the wrong lube. Any thoughts?

#4 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:02 AM

I'll look up those part numbers when I get to work.

#5 05Quadrasteer

05Quadrasteer

Enthusiast

• 243 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

You may also want to contact a MrQuadrasteer here on the site. He runs a seperate forum as well for Quadrasteer owners. I think I have seen some discusson over there as well about this issue.

quadrasteerclub.com

Have a nice day.

Bill
Posted Image

2005 Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 with Quadrasteer, 5.3L engine, 3.73 rear end gear

Add-ons
Wester's tune 89/93, Matched fuel injectors from Westers, 180 Thermostat, Airaid air intake, Dynatech Supermaxx headers and cats, Corsa dual side exit cat-back exhaust, 275/60/20 wheels, Factory fog-light kit, Chrome step up bars to allow wife and daughter to get in easier, Access roll-up tonneau cover