Quadrasteer Issues

trip1230

Question

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra Denali and the Quadrasteer and rear end was making a very loud grinding noise and squeel. I took it to my local dealer and they replaced the rear end and the steering unit and it worked great, for about 2500 miles. Then it started grinding and squeeling again.

Now, it's at the dealer again and they found metal shavings in the rear axle casing. The dealer came clean and told me that they used the wrong gear oil when they replaced the rear end the first time. Supposedly there is a special lube for quadrasteer rear axles and they used a synthetic, the same as all the other trucks. He claims that it wouldn't have caused this but I'm not entirely convinced.

Could this wrong lube cause the rear axle to fail again in 2500 miles?

0 answers to this question

First let me say that I've seen exactly ONE truck with quadrasteer, and it wasn't in for repairs, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

That said, I could find nothing in our service information that indicates the lube for the rear axle on a quadrasteer truck is any different than any other axle. I don't see why it would be any different. A differential is a differential. The fact that there's some steering mechanism hung on the outside and the wheels can pivot a bit shouldn't change that.

First let me say that I've seen exactly ONE truck with quadrasteer, and it wasn't in for repairs, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

That said, I could find nothing in our service information that indicates the lube for the rear axle on a quadrasteer truck is any different than any other axle.  I don't see why it would be any different.  A differential is a differential.  The fact that there's some steering mechanism hung on the outside and the wheels can pivot a bit shouldn't change that.

I would tend to agree that there wouldn't be a difference but the dealers comment prompted me to do a little research myself. The following site states exactly what he told me...

Quadra Steer Lube

Note the part number that is recommended by GM. My repair invoice states that they used part number 89021677 to service it.

However, I don't know the scope of damage that could be done if you use the wrong lube. Any thoughts?

Archived