2005 GMC Yukon Differential Fluid

The differential does not take the blue fluid, the blue Auto trac fluid is for the transfer case.

The factory differential fluid is more purple and it is very expensive ($25+/quart depending on dealer). I think the general consensus on this board is that any synthetic 75-90 gear oil will work fine.

The blue autotrac fluid is not that expensive, and it is the only thing that should be put in the Auto-Trac transfer case

Geeze, sorry about my bad info. I wasn't thinking. You are correct, the TRANSFER case takes the smurf fluid. Duhhh, lack of reading the post carefully..my bad.

OK, back to the question. IMHO, if you tow, I recommend changing with a fully synthetic, like M1 about every 15-20K miles. This could be overkill, but it does work in my situation.

I changed my rear diff fluid at 3000 miles then 15K, 30K, 45K and 60K. I also changed to M1 (synthetic) for the front diff also. Stock is dino fliud in the front and synth in the rear. It was explained to be that the front diff doesn't get used as much as the rear.

OK, for many, but my front diff gets a workout also.

Hope this is back on track!

Mibil 1 every 30K here. Don't forget if you tow, you are supposed to change it after your first 500 miles of towing. I tow a couple times a month so i change mine a little early. If not towing, stick to every 50K IMO.

DJ,

Wasn't trying to flame at all, I'm usually the one who has problems reading so i understand.

I'm planning to put M1 in both front and rear soon (23k on the clock now). Probably will change every 25k. Probably go ahead and do the t-case while i'm under there too.

I didn't know anything about the 500 mile thing for the first change, but i haven't done any heavy towing, so i'm assuming i'll be ok.

I don't have a drain plug in my rear diff, you guys use gasket sealer on your pumpkin gaskets or not? I've done both on previous trucks and they always seem to seep a little for me.

Archived