Best battery

Are Optima the best batteries out there ? My original is going on 4 years now and even though it's been trouble free I think I'll replace it before winter gets rolling here. I don't wanna find myself up at my camp this winter with a dead battery, I have a jumper thingy to take along but usually forget it.

Are Optima the best batteries out there ? My original is going on 4 years now and even though it's been trouble free I think I'll replace it before winter gets rolling here. I don't wanna find myself up at my camp this winter with a dead battery, I have a jumper thingy to take along but usually forget it.

Deka Batteries manufactured by East Penn are the best batteries going.

100% made and owned in the USA. Privately owned. Father and Son operation in 1946 is now over 600 million + company.

Individually tank-formed positive and negative plates. Consistent manufacturing. Extremely Reliable.

Quality Matters!!!

www.dekabatteries.com

Man bone,You sound just like a salesman! :D Welcome to the forum also :seeya:

I've always had great luck with AC-Delco,I forgot all about Deka,They do make darn good batteries.

Man bone,You sound just like a salesman! :lol: Welcome to the forum also :seeya:

I've always had great luck with AC-Delco,I forgot all about Deka,They do make darn good batteries.

Thanks for the welcome all...

Yeah, I am a salesman for the industrial side, huge mining and forklift batteries...1000 pounds and up. The production methods for every battery of same, from the small sport/utlity stuff (East Penn is the OEM and aftermarket manufaturer for Harley Davidson as of about 4 years ago.) to the locomotive and mining product. It is truly impressive, and I've been in this biz straight out of college 7 years now, and my experience with Deka has been amazing...currently 1/10th of 1% warranty rate...

Anyways sorry to sound all geeked up, but as long as people want to put a kick-ass, reliable, tough product on the market...think GM...I feel obliged to be beaking about it. :D Quack Quack.

I worked for one other outfit...Exide...I guess I can stop right there huh?

Let me just say working for a company that puts QUALITY MANUFACTURING ahead of EVERYTHING is a breath of fresh air.

Can't go wrong with another Delco, most of them last 5 years. The Optima in my Mustang is crap.

Dan

Mine sure went wrong... Pos post rotted right off, spilled acid all over my garage floor. Dealer service guy told me they replace them every day for that. Delco dosen't have a battery factory, others just slap the delco name on them. I think, dont know, that Delco specs out lower quality parameters to get a cheaper product. I would not buy another Delco.

Hey bone,Question.....Can you tell us who the major battery manufacturers are?

I thought at one time there were only like three or four,I'm thinking Exide,Delco and Deka but can't remember anymore.

I know most companies buy from one of these then put there name on them.

On a side note,My Dad had to mess with some of those heavy batteries,He was a coal miner for 34 years as a mainline motorman,He hauled all the slate outta' the mine. :seeya:

I thought at one time there were only like three or four,I'm thinking Exide,Delco and Deka but can't remember anymore.

On a side note,My Dad had to mess with some of those heavy batteries,He was a coal miner for 34 years as a mainline motorman,He hauled all the slate outta' the mine. :seeya:

Well, I always believed in Delco, till my `97 went thru 7 batteries in 5 years. All due to the positive post leaking or cracking. Our `02 TB ate thru one as well in one year. Went Optima, 2 years, no problems. My family even changed over from Die Hard.

Yes, I think there are only a few manufactuers- Interstate, Exide, just to name a few.- Just like the antifreeze thing, only 3 manufactures there also.

Well, I always believed in Delco, till my `97 went thru 7 batteries in 5 years. All due to the positive post leaking or cracking. Our `02 TB ate thru one as well in one year. Went Optima, 2 years, no problems. My family even changed over from Die Hard.

Yes, I think there are only a few manufactuers- Interstate, Exide, just to name a few.- Just like the antifreeze thing, only 3 manufactures there also.

Darnit,I forgot all about Interstate.

And yes,I work in parts at a GM dealer and the've had all kinds of problems with the terminal posts corroding off,It seems to have died down a bit now,We don't go through quite as many now like we did 2-3 years ago but we still see one every now and then.

On a side note,My Dad had to mess with some of those heavy batteries,He was a coal miner for 34 years as a mainline motorman,He hauled all the slate outta' the mine. :D

Well you got it about right with the major (automotive) manufacturers. There are : East-Penn (Deka), Exide Technologies, JCI Johnson Controls, and Delco. Douglas was a pretty decent size but recently got bought out by East Penn. For a while there was C&D and Yuasa...but I think they are non-factors in the USA anymore.

Exide was by far the worst. It was amazing that some of that crap that shipped out actually workrd, in other cases it was an anchor already. Missing spines on the grid, poor pasting, missing active material etc. Everybody who works with cars and trucks has at least one "Exide" story. They really had a bad name by word of mouth in the early-mid 90's

JCI, (a big supplier to Delco, BTW) recently started a lot of production in Mexico. :lol: Amazing some guys think a better idea is always "make it cheaper".

So next time your posi strap breaks off or you show 10.5 volts at the posts on your JCI-supplied battery, hold your tequila high and cry, VIVA MEXICO!

Then you have a handful of smaller guys across the country.

Yeah its also true about private-labeling. The Sears Die-Hard for example was made by many defferent companies for a while...you all remember the "used-battery" scandal with Exide and Die Hard? And even Delco has been known to buy a few batteries from their competitors to meet contract obligations.

The US market is being flooded right now with a lot of cheap Korean and Chinese product. Most of the auto-parts brands are of these type. Buyer beware.

Rant-OFF :lol:

Man, I feel for your Dad, that is some heavy-duty grind. I hope he's relaxing somewhere on a beach with an umbrella in his drink! :seeya:

Darnit,I forgot all about Interstate.

And yes,I work in parts at a GM dealer and the've had all kinds of problems with the terminal posts corroding off,It seems to have died down a bit now,We don't go through quite as many now like we did 2-3 years ago but we still see one every now and then.

INTERSTATE is interesting. They are HUGE in distribution. I know they are in Texas, seem like a solid company, but they don't talk about manufacturing much.

I don't believe they manufacture much if at all. I could be wrong.

I had to chuckle when I read about the company chaplain...that is so typical of the battery world...spinning off into things that have nothing to do with batteries. Wonder if the installation instructions are written by the Chaplain: 1. Install Battery, 2. Say Prayer, 3. Turn Key. HA! :D

I have to put my vote in for the Optimas. I took a short tour and also did some work in one of the Optima plants located here in Denver and they do a great job at producing them, as well as having high Quality Control standards.

Archived