1999 S-10 Dash Lights Not Working

Wilmero

Question

Hello, I'm glad I found this forum, and thanks to anyone who may be able to help me out. Heres my problem:

First off, I should add that I had a shop install an in-dash dvd player/stereo. I noticed a few months later that my instrument cluster lights and my climate control lights do not work. So basicly, my cab is dark inside at night except for the stereo screen and the digital odometer. I should also add that the ashtray light works, as well as the dome light, but the dome light cannot be turned on manualy, I have to open the door for it to go on, and then I can't turn it off with that little accesory button by the manual light switch on the left side. Also, the interior lights don't come on with the manual swittch either. So...pretty much, my lights don't work in the cab. Where should I begin to look? I checked the fuses..under the hood and on the side of the dash...all seem to be good. Is there something else I can try? It sucks to drive at night because I can't see my guages, or my heater controls... Good thing my headlights at least work! Any suggestions would be helpful... did a ground come loose somewhere or something?

0 answers to this question

Maybe I should have put this in the s-series forum... :seeya:

I can probably help, I just haven't had the time to sit down and look at the schematics for your vehicle and I don't want to spout off without knowing exactly what I'm talking about. There's nothing common that I could say, oh yeah, your problem is...

I'll try to look this afternoon, if not, then tomorrow.

Maybe I should have put this in the s-series forum... :D

I can probably help, I just haven't had the time to sit down and look at the schematics for your vehicle and I don't want to spout off without knowing exactly what I'm talking about. There's nothing common that I could say, oh yeah, your problem is...

I'll try to look this afternoon, if not, then tomorrow.

Thank You very much GM-Tech! I can wait till tomorrow or next week! Anything to save money on the outageous electrical diagnostic costs...possibly only to find out it's only a 30 dollar fix. :seeya:

Okay, I took a quick look. First of all, is it safe to assume your taillights, front park lights work?

If yes, then power from the park fuse is getting to the headlamp switch. This is important because this is where the dimmer for the interior dash, a/c control, etc., lighting gets power.

In the IP fuse block, there's a fuse labeled ILLUM. Put your headlights on, turn the dimmer to the brightest setting and see if you have power in and out of this fuse. If only one side has power, the fuse is blown. If neither side has power, the dimmer in the headlamp switch is not supplying power and you probably have a bad headlamp switch.

The lights in the various door switches (windows, locks, mirror) get their power from another direction and would not be affected by a dimmer problem.

Start there and if we need to go further, let me know.

Okay, I took a quick look.  First of all, is it safe to assume your taillights, front park lights work?

If yes, then power from the park fuse is getting to the headlamp switch.  This is important because this is where the dimmer for the interior dash, a/c control, etc., lighting gets power.

In the IP fuse block, there's a fuse labeled ILLUM.   Put your headlights on, turn the dimmer to the brightest setting and see if you have power  in and out of this fuse.  If only one side has power, the fuse is blown.  If neither side has power, the dimmer in the headlamp switch is not supplying power and you probably have a bad headlamp switch.

The lights in the various door switches (windows, locks, mirror) get their power from another direction and would not be affected by a dimmer problem.

Start there and if we need to go further, let me know.

Yes, the headlights DTRL Parking lights, and tail lights work, The IP fuse box is the one on the side of the dash right? Or is is the one under the hood?

The IP fuse box is the one on the side of the dash right? Or is is the one under the hood?

IP = Instrument Panel, so yes, it's the fuse box there.

Right On GM-Tech! I did as you asked and found that there was no power going to the switch, so then I proceeded to disassemble the dash bezel and found that the entire switch was "Unplugged"! So I plugged er in and Voila! I now have power back to all instruments! Thank You for your advise and patience. All Is well with the S-10 now.

Archived