Heater Hose Quick Disconnects 01 Silverado

n5xl

Question

Ok, 2001 5.3 ECSB 4WD Silverado...140,000 miles

Getting ready to do some PM'ing this weekend. Determined last week that the water pump is leaking on the passenger side where it bolts up to the block. No big deal, common problem from what I can tell in searching around the internet. Got the water pump and just waiting on the time to do it, besides, the miles made me think it was ready to go anyway. Even though the hoses look good, I'll change them out. No big deal...normal PM to me.

I see that the heater hoses have quick disconnects where they attach to the heater core (not to mention one has a plastic Y fitting in it where it hooks up to the water pump). I also notice that the quick disconnects are different colors. One is white and one is black. So I go to the dealer to pick up the quick disconnects and one is double the price of the other one. The dealer couldn't tell me the difference in the two, but did say that "these can go anytime after 100,000 miles. Its common enough that we keep a decent stock of them." While I didnt ask while I was there, I later found out that the dealer heater hose...the one with the plastic Y fitting, supposedly has the quick disconnect fitting already pre attached. The heater hoses that are aftermarket do not have the quick connector on them and you are supposed to either reuse the old ones or get new ones like I did.

So my question is, what is the difference between the two QD's? I have both parts in hand and besides the color, I cant tell any difference in them. Where the heater hose goes over the fittings, "mikes out" as 0.6265....standard 5/8 heater hose size. The ID of the hose fitting where the hose goes are both 0.4520". The seal inside the fitting that seals against the heater core is also the same ID on both. My caliper says that they are both 0.6870 with the caliper JUST TOUCHING the sealing face. I'm guessing that the heater core is probably 3/4 but I have not checked it yet to verify the exact size. So...why the difference in color and in price if they are both physically the same dimensions?

GM Part numbers 15151875 and 15032026

Dave

0 answers to this question

I stumbled accross this thread looking for some info on the fitting and found your pricing questions to be interesting something that is not uncommon in the replacement parts industry at both the aftermarket and more so the OEM level. I have been in the "DEALERSHIP" business at alot of different levels for pushing 30 years and found very often similar situations. This may not be the exact reason but its just one possibility that may shed some light.

While we can see that the parts are PHYSICALLY the same in every way there may be a very subtle difference in them, I recently had occasion to replace the fitting on the engine side, if you take a close look at the parts there is in fact an arrow that indicates the direction of FLOW on the part itself, otherwise the 2 parts are dimentionally identical, but the fact that the FLOW arrow on the opposite end will go in a different direction there are 2 Different part #'s. I think that we can all agree that, that is reasonable and easily understandable and at the Manufacturers level do make some sence.

The pricing difference however is most likely due ONLY to Demand for the parts. I am sure that the part on the engine side of the hose is replaced alot more often than the part on the heater core side, I wouldnt be suprised if there is a 10:1 ratio or even higher based on the parts location, obviously the engine is hot and nasty place to spend your life rather than on the fire wall.

The higher the demand, the more of a part that is produced the less expensive it becomes, and even though the parts are the same they are different enough that another part# needed to be made at the Manufacturing level and that has carried down into the replacement parts level.

This isnt uncommon in ALL manufacturers, I have seen absolutly Identical parts, with different OEM #'s with significantly different pricing.

This is another reason as well that the Aftermarket can charge less money. A GM Dealer would be expected to provide the part with the correct markings therefore needing to have 2 part #'s available, the aftermarket can cover BOTH parts because they can in this instance leave the markings off of an Aftermarket part.

Any thoughts on the technical reason for the two different connectors? ?

I visited 3 dealerships and called GM customer support. NOONE KNOWS the reason why they're different colors. I miked them out and they are identical. Upon closer inspection...they even have the SAME casting numbers. The only reason I can see for the different colors is so the guy putting then on at the assembly plant knows which one goes where. Go figure. This still doesn't explain the huge difference in price. The gray one is $37 and the black one is $19 at my local dealership.

I visited 3 dealerships and called GM customer support. NOONE KNOWS the reason why they're different colors. I miked them out and they are identical. Upon closer inspection...they even have the SAME casting numbers. The only reason I can see for the different colors is so the guy putting then on at the assembly plant knows which one goes where. Go figure. This still doesn't explain the huge difference in price. The gray one is $37 and the black one is $19 at my local dealership.

The Dorman part is only $3.91 on rockauto.com. It might be available locally too. Also Gates should make one as well

15151875 cost me 12.53

15032062 cost me 24.62

Both dealer prices

Called a buddy at a parts store that has connections and was quoted

18.47 and 9.40 respectively.

Other than the doubling of the price for one part vs the other, I guess I was more concerned about the technical aspects as to why there is a different part for the inlet and outlet of the heater core. If they both have the same dimension, then why not use the same piece on both inlet and outlet. It implied to me that there was a technical reason. Puzzling.

I realize the thread is old news now but I just researched both part #'s on Rock Auto's website and they were both listed for $4.88, this might help someone else like myself that's replacing their hoses

15151875 cost me 12.53

15032062 cost me 24.62

Both dealer prices

Called a buddy at a parts store that has connections and was quoted

18.47 and 9.40 respectively.

Other than the doubling of the price for one part vs the other, I guess I was more concerned about the technical aspects as to why there is a different part for the inlet and outlet of the heater core. If they both have the same dimension, then why not use the same piece on both inlet and outlet. It implied to me that there was a technical reason. Puzzling.

15151875 cost me 12.53

15032062 cost me 24.62

The list prices my parts department gave me:

15151875 - $12.53

15032026 - $2.60

Perhaps I need them to double check that second number because it's a whole lot less than you're saying.

Okay, I think I see what might be wrong. In your first post, you typed 15032026 but in later posts, 15032062.

I didn't have them check the number to see what it is, just punched in the number and gave me the price.

So which number is it really?

Okay, I think I see what might be wrong.  In your first post, you typed 15032026 but in later posts, 15032062.

I didn't have them check the number to see what it is, just punched in the number and gave me the price.

So which number is it really?

Dyslexic Dave should be my name...sorry about that.

15032062 is the right number...have the bag right in front of me....$24.62. I suspect this is the suggested retail price.

Hello how does the quick disconnects work, I need to replace mine because the one on the right hand side just broke off where the hose connect, without any warning no one touching it, but I couldn't get it off and I was stranded, so I just cut the fitting with a mini hack saw and connected just the hose and clamp to the heatercore nipple, is this okay until I get the quick disconects?

Archived