1997 Chev GMC Steering Wander Problem Fix

Tone

More payback:

The steering on my 97 Chev 1500 truck started wandering a bit from time to time while driving . It felt like my tires had suddenly caught a lip in the road and would veer off slightly. It was very unnerving. I thought maybe my tires were bad but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that in 1997 they started putting an Elctronic Variable Orifice (EVO) sensor on the steering shaft to determine how much power steering assist it should provide.

Anyway, the EVO is about $100Can. from the dealer and it takes about 20 minutes to install one. It looks like a really skinny black doughnut about 3 inches in diameter and the thickness of 3 quarters. Inside the truck near the bottom of the steering shaft is a nut and bolt for you to remove. Then push the bottom part of the steering linkage into the engine area. Up the shaft you will find the EVO with 3 clips holding it in. Unplug the EVO and lift the clips with a small screwdriver to release the EVO - Don't beaks the holding clips!. Then slide the EVO down the shaft and off. Install the new EVO using reverse order of these these instructions.

More payback:

The steering on my 97 Chev 1500 truck started wandering a bit from time to time while driving .  It felt like my tires had suddenly caught a lip in the road and would veer off slightly.  It was very unnerving.  I thought maybe my tires were bad but that wasn't the problem.  The problem was that in 1997 they started putting an Elctronic Variable Orifice (EVO) sensor on the steering shaft to determine how much power steering assist it should provide.

Anyway, the EVO is about $100Can. from the dealer and it takes about 20 minutes to install one.  It looks like a really skinny black doughnut about 3 inches in diameter and the thickness of 3 quarters.  Inside the truck near the bottom of the steering shaft is a nut and bolt for you to remove.  Then push the bottom part of the steering linkage into the engine area.  Up the shaft you will find the EVO with 3 clips holding it in.  Unplug the EVO and lift the clips with a small screwdriver to release the EVO - Don't beaks the holding clips!.  Then slide the EVO down the shaft and off.  Install the new EVO using reverse order of these these instructions.

And don't forget to slide the boot back up and connect it to the firewall like the local dealer who just did my father-in-law's EVO sensor. That's what you get with flat-rate...

• 10 months later...

97 Sierra 1/2 ton. I've had the same problem for about 3 years. The first time it happened I was on a California freeway doing about 75 just trying to keep up with traffic. It felt like my left front wheel was coming off the truck. The symptoms were very intermittant. Could go for weeks without ever doing it then when you'd least expect it!! I had a local garage look at it. They flushed out and replaced the steering fluid. The steering was fine for about another 3 months then it started again. This time they replaced the pump. Worked fine for at least 6 months then all of a sudden it started doing it again. Will definitely look into this sensor. :)

finally the answer ive been looking for... I have a 97 1/2 ton and have had this problem also...just never could figure out what it was... i knew there was some kind of speed sensor that is supposed to stiffin up the steering at higher speeds. Is this the one? Did any of your guys' trucks feel like the steering would give way when making a turn around 30 MPH or so ( like getting onto a interstate on ramp or something?)

My steering would do this at just about any speed. I would describe it as sort of a flat spot when just easing the wheel left or right of center. All of a sudden your truck wants to steer more than you are asking it too. I sure hope this cures the problem.

Archived