Photo
- - - - -

Transmission flush vs. normal filter change

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot2Thrill

Shoot2Thrill

Enthusiast

• 60 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

My dad has a 2001 Chevy Silverado with 4.8L V8 and automatic transmission. The truck has 58,000 miles on it and it has not had the transmission fluid/filter replaced or flushed. This truck has had a very easy life with no hauling. Is it better to flush the transmission rather than just the filter and fluid change? TIA, -Shoot2Thrill

#2 trever1t

trever1t

Enthusiast

• 325 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

Who's doing the flush? What was flushed right before your Dad's tranny? An old greasy one? Anwser depends. I would do the oil/filter only, unless i could be sure.

2005 SIERRA [email protected] CLICK PIC FOR MODS
Posted Image
566/613 My other ride is a '91 Electraglide custom.

#3 asilverblazer

asilverblazer

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,636 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:26 AM

Drop the pan and clean it, then replace filter top off with new fluid. I found a good article that explains the evils of a flush really well but can't find, I'll stick a link if I come acroos it soon.
1955 Chevrolet 4400 1 1/2ton Stake Bed
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab LT Z-71 5.3L 4x4 BLACK
Signal Mirrors, Chrome Covers, Chrome Door Handles, Painted Bow-Ties, Painted Mirror Housings, Painted Tailgate Handle Bezel, Chrome Tailgate Handle, Leveling Kit, Kenwood DDX616 Headunit, Infinity 6022i speakers powered by Alpine Amp, Alpine Subs powered by Alpine Amp, Tinted Windows, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Dale Jr. Cannons, Dueler A/T Revos

Posted Image

#4 ness5575

ness5575

Enthusiast

• 323 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

my tranny went out 1 week after i got a flush. I would only drop pan, change filter, and add new fluid.

thats what I will do on mine in the future...
2008 Chevy Suburban

#5 busta

busta

Enthusiast

• 199 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

I have known too many people that got a transmission flush and then a week or two down the road the tranny goes out. Like I have said before I am no expert but I would be very wary of a transmission flush.

#6 NWSilverado

NWSilverado

Enthusiast

• 443 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

I had my Tranny Serviced last year and had the filter and Flush done on mine. I was a little worried about it as from what I had read guys were having problems and gumming up was a problem. So, I planned on no long trips after it was serviced.
Pleasantly I was surprised, the Tranny shop even had it done in decent time not like a few of the other sleezy tranny shops around this area.
My truck had 120,000 Kms on it at the time of the service and it just rolled over 130,000 the other day....

Just my 2 bits worth.
Posted Image

1999 Silverado, 3 Door, Whistler/Blackcomb Special Edition,
AEM Brute Force CAI
Magnaflow Cat Back Single in Dual out Setup w/Flowmaster resonator
Modded Automatic Headlights, Modded High-Beams to come on with the low beams
Clifford Avital 2100 Alarm,
Silverstar 51 W Low beams, XENON High Beams
Blue LEDs behind HVAC Controls
Hella FF100 Driving Lights.

I AM Canadian!!

#7 jaslo

jaslo

Enthusiast

• 759 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:16 PM

So is there the idea that a transmission change is really bad for your truck? When I had the 01 pickup done, they said if I dont do it at 50,000 but wait until 100,000 miles that I shouldn't even do it, because it would cause more harm than good. I just got a quote from the local gm dealer, for $110. Is that a good price? That is just dropping the pan and changing out the filter, and they recommended that instead of the flush.

Edited by jaslo, 22 November 2005 - 06:15 PM.

Present truck-2001 Chevy silverado Z71-XCab LT, 5.3 V-8
Past truck-2001 Chevy silverado Z71, Shortbed Regular cab, 4.8 V-8, custom tune by Brian, K&N FIPK-sold

#8 willfxp

willfxp

Enthusiast

• 317 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:49 AM

The Chevy dealership in Long Beach, CA only does flushes. I can't remember the price, but it was VERY close to $75...

You hear a lot of people who say after a flush they have problems... How many people do you think has had the flush and no problems?

And why does it matter if the "guy before" had a bad transmission? What does the previous job have to do with any of this?

I've had the flush done, no problems. I bought my truck used at 60k, so I wanted to get all the critical fluids change. I'm at 110k and still no problems, strong as ever.
My Dream: '01 Silverado Extended Cab Z71

#9 asilverblazer

asilverblazer

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,636 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

As I understand if the machine isn't properly used the contaminants from the previous vehicle, which more than likely was some P.O.S. so the flush was done as a last ditch effort to save it. All of that will get injected into your transmission, also all the crud in your own that has settled will get stirred up and ran through as well. Think of it like getting a blood transfusion from somebody sicker than you are with a community needle.
1955 Chevrolet 4400 1 1/2ton Stake Bed
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab LT Z-71 5.3L 4x4 BLACK
Signal Mirrors, Chrome Covers, Chrome Door Handles, Painted Bow-Ties, Painted Mirror Housings, Painted Tailgate Handle Bezel, Chrome Tailgate Handle, Leveling Kit, Kenwood DDX616 Headunit, Infinity 6022i speakers powered by Alpine Amp, Alpine Subs powered by Alpine Amp, Tinted Windows, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Dale Jr. Cannons, Dueler A/T Revos

Posted Image

#10 trever1t

trever1t

Enthusiast

• 325 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:37 PM

:shakehead: :banghead: Yup!

#11 Tree_Hugger

Tree_Hugger

Enthusiast

• 63 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

:shakehead:  :banghead: Yup!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The flush is far superior, if it's done on time and regularly. If you leave it too long, you'll also need to clean the filter, but by then your transmission is dying anyway.

#12 marman

marman

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

:shakehead:  :banghead: Yup!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The flush is far superior, if it's done on time and regularly. If you leave it too long, you'll also need to clean the filter, but by then your transmission is dying anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there may be some misconception on the whole procedure. Nothing gets flushed! The fluid gets replaced. All that is done is the fluid that flows through the transmission line that connects to the radiator is rerouted to the 'machine'. The machine stores the old fluid and replaces the normal flow with the new fluid, which flows back to the transmission via the return line from the radiator. This is done with your own transmissions pump. There is little or no likelyhood of gunk getting kicked up, or crud from the last fluid replacement entering your transmission. With that said, it still is a good idea to drop the pan, change the filter, top off and then replace all the fluid. A new filter and all new fluid in the transmission and torque converter is a good thing. Enjoy your truck. I sure do enjoy mine. :fume:

Edited by marman, 23 November 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#13 Dusterman

Dusterman

Enthusiast

• 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:55 PM

I'm just going to drop the pan and change the filter/replace fluids.

It will save you some good money versus a flush. I know of many owners that just drop pan every 40k miles and have 150k+ on their rigs w/orig trans.

#14 Shoot2Thrill

Shoot2Thrill

Enthusiast

• 60 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:20 AM

I appreciate all the feedback to my question. I knew I had my fluid/filter replaced in my S10 at 40,000 miles. I didn't even consider flushing it due to cost. I'll let my dad know everybody's input so he can take care of his truck. Thanks.

#15 Aggiediver

Aggiediver

Enthusiast

• 162 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

Those that are having the pan dropped and filter replaced with a mechanic, what are they charging you?

I understand the filter itself is about $60.

My dealer wanted $119 i believe for a flush, didn't get the price for pan dropping/filter.
2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD
2004 Chevrolet Z71 Extended Cab