SPEED SENSOR RECALL

Took my 01 Sierra 1500 Z71 in for the speed sensor recall. When I got it back and started to drive out of the dealer lot the steering wheel was wobbling back and forth like the front wheels were going in two different directions and when I hit the brakes there was a very noticeable loud tick, tick, tick.

So I made a uie, all this within 1 tenth of a mile, and explained the situation to the service manager. He took it for a drive and agreed that 'something' is wrong. Duh. So the tech took the brakes apart again and the explanation was that there was some loose rust that was not supposed to be there. Yeah sure.

But whatever they did, when I left the second time, it seems like the truck is working as well as when I dropped it off the first time. Supposedly all they did was examine the sensor and apply some anti-rusting compound.

I'm going to take the wheels and brakes apart this morning to check things out for myself.

Never fails, it seems that whenever I take my vehicle into the dealer for work it always takes multiple trips to the dealer to have them get it right. Now I know why I do my own work whenever possible. At least I take my time and do it right the 1st time.

Okay here is a question and probabably a dumb one at that...What exactlky is a speed sensor and what is it for...I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 that I am pretty sure falls under that recall.

A speed sensor is a part of the transmission that lets the transmission know what gear to be in at a relitive speed and if I am not mistaken also drives the speedometer.

Okay here is a question and probabably a dumb one at that...What exactlky is a speed sensor and what is it for...I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 that I am pretty sure falls under that recall.

A speed sensor is a part of the transmission that lets the transmission know what gear to be in at a relitive speed and if I am not mistaken also drives the speedometer.

Not in this case,These wheel speed sensors are on the front knuckle asm. and are for the anti-lock braking system.They do just what the name implies,they measure the speed of the wheel/tire asm. and what if any pressure needs to be applied to activate the ABS.

I'm sure somebody else can explain it in more detail but thats the short story.

If the recall covers my truck is this something I should rush my truck in to get fixed??

Actually MS3DALE is on the right track, the recall indicates that the issue is with the speed sensor, and everyone else knows it as the 'ABS RECALL', both are 'the same'.

From what I know, the recall is being offered to 'rust' belt owners. I'm from CT and within the scope of the recall. It wouldn't hurt to stop off at your local dealer and see if your vehicle is included.

Good Luck

Recall was issued for us rust-belters because apparently the speed sensor was corroding and sending a signal to activate the ABS unnecessarily (I mean like clear, dry road....no need whatsoever) Picture yourself coming up to a red light starting to stand on your brakes and all of a sudden ABS engages and STAYS engaged.(all the way 'through' the intersection...whaa!)

Never experienced that myself but did have the recall done 1 month ago.

G

Archived