Fix for 4wd noise-T-case or front differential

Hi! I'm new to the site, and posted only once before. I have owned 7 pickups and 2 suv's in my life racking up plenty of miles and have never had a front differential noise from any of them until now. My first GM truck a 2006 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 5.3 V8. Two of my previous vehicles were all wheel drive/auto 4x4. This may drag out so sorry in advance. At about 800 miles started hearing a noise out of the front end, like a bad bearing. At this point I had not even given that a thought with such a new vehicle, mabye something loose? Took to the dealer who could hear nothing, and checked entire front end and found nothing. Drove some more, got louder and noticed bad out side tire wear. Took to dealer. Checked allignment, toe in out, they fixed and thought might have been noise. Drove some more, got louder. Took to dealer. They test drove, they heard!!! Replaced right front bearing. Drove some more. Bet you know where this is going! noise still there, noise gets louder. Took to dealer. They replaced left front wheel bearing incase they missed diagnosed. Asked me to pick up. I asked is noise gone? They said no, please drive so it gets louder. I said NO!!!!!!!! They graciously agreed. They opened the front differential and found the gears were not set up or shimmed properly. Damaging the ring and pinion. GM would only piece it back together instead of replacing. Not good judgement on a BRAND NEW TRUCK ($37,000) WITH NOW A TOTAL OF 3500 MILES. I protested but agreed. They fixed, I drove, not as bad but still have noise. Guess I am going back. Now instead at all speeds above 20 mph Now it starts it's roar and vib at 50mph where it was at it's worst before. All of this in 2wd not 4wd although the auto 4x4 is very course, which I to have mentioned to the dealer which they said is normal. Is this normal for CHEVY cause the box with wheels called an f-150, which by the way I traded in one(the better looking one) is starting to seem like it would have been a better IDEA! I love almost everything about this truck, accept it drives me nuts to drive with this noise. All the post I've seen mention being in 4wd, has any one had this problem in 2wd and had it resolved. Sorry for being so long winded, but I had to vent. :cheers: Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2002 Z71 did the front end growling. Determined it to be a bad driver side front diff bearing. What happens is the adjuster backed off and broke off and the shrapnel wasted the bearing. So growling starts as the gear lash becomes very loose with the adjuster gone.

To see how bad it is drop the skid plate and grab the axle shafts and check for play, If you have excessive play drain the oil in the Front Diff and see how much metal is on the drain plug. This will rule out if it is the Diff.

My Ring and pinion was fine because I caught it early, but the adjuster and the driver bearing were shot. The pinion and passenger bearing were pretty gauled up.

Happened at 50K miles when I really noticed the loud growling. Nice and smooth now.

The dealer has replaced everything inside the differential housing, 14 different parts according to the parts list, including the bearings. Since I posted last the noise has quickly become more noticeable as I decelerate, you hear the growl slow with the speed of the truck. Is it that difficult to properly set up the gears. I guess I am going to push for a completely new differintial factory assembled.

• 1 month later...
Hi! I'm new to the site, and posted only once before.  I have owned 7 pickups and 2 suv's in my life racking up plenty of miles and have never had a front differential noise from any of them until now.  My first GM truck a 2006 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 5.3 V8.  Two of my previous vehicles were all wheel drive/auto 4x4.  This may drag out so sorry in advance.  At about 800 miles started hearing a noise out of the front end, like a bad bearing.  At this point I had not even given that a thought with such a new vehicle, mabye something loose?  Took to the dealer who could hear nothing, and checked entire front end and found nothing.  Drove some more, got louder and noticed bad out side tire wear.  Took to dealer.  Checked allignment, toe in out, they fixed and thought might have been noise.  Drove some more, got louder.  Took to dealer.  They test drove, they heard!!!  Replaced right front bearing. Drove some more.  Bet you know where this is going!  noise still there, noise gets louder. Took to dealer.  They replaced left front wheel bearing incase they missed diagnosed. Asked me to pick up. I asked is noise gone? They said no, please drive so it gets louder. I said NO!!!!!!!!  They graciously agreed.  They opened the front differential and found the gears were not set up or shimmed properly. Damaging the ring and pinion. GM would only piece it back together instead of replacing.  Not good judgement on a BRAND NEW TRUCK ($37,000) WITH NOW A TOTAL OF 3500 MILES. I protested but agreed.  They fixed, I drove, not as bad but still have noise. Guess I am going back.  Now instead at all speeds above 20 mph Now it starts it's roar and vib at 50mph where it was at it's worst before.  All of this in 2wd not 4wd although the auto 4x4 is very course, which I to have mentioned to the dealer which they said is normal.  Is this normal for CHEVY cause the box with wheels called an f-150, which by the way I traded in one(the better looking one) is starting to seem like it would have been a better IDEA!  I love almost everything about this truck, accept it drives me nuts to drive with this noise.  All the post I've seen mention being in 4wd, has any one had this problem in 2wd and had it resolved.  Sorry for being so long winded, but I had to vent.  :chevy:  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

I also own a 2006 GMC 1500 crew cab 4x4 Z71 with the 5.3 liter engine. with 16,000 miles.

This one is long too, sorry. 2 issues popped up with this truck. A 50-70mph humming in 2wd mode (sometimes a solid hum, sometimes a hum...pause...hum...pause). Trk also developed over time heavy noise/moan/vibration in 4wd mode at low speeds off-road. I expect some noise, but this was too much!

In all attempts to get answers to my problem with the low spd vib in 4wd mode, I was told this is "normal", so the rest is about my high speed problems:

1st repair attempt: Bad bearings and lots of metal found in the front differential. Repair (not a replacement) of the diff made.

2nd attempt: GM mechanic that rebuilt front diff swears he did it right, dlr looks for other causes and replaces 2 mufflers figuring its exhaust related. Still humms at high speeds (50 to 70 mph)

3rd attempt: Dlr said they have had several 4x4s in with transfer case lube probs, dlr told me to push 4hi button at fwy speeds to see if hum goes away. It does! Transfer case torn apart, some lube kit installed. I get it back and it now hums intermittently. Better, but not gone.

4th attempt: Take back to dlr and I find out another vehicle ('05 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4wd) is in same day with identical probs. GM field rep is there, tears apart driveline on both cars (front and rear diff, trans, transfer case..everything) Finds one reversed bearing in both transfer cases. Got back, prob still exists. Dlr knows there is prob, GM won't do anything more for me. They have no clue what might be wrong! Sounds are driving me nuts!

Filed arbitration paperwork with the BBB the next day and negotiated a buyback and replacement from GM with some hassle before the hearing.

Lesson learned: Document everything well, keep pushing to get the prob resolved and if you don't...call the BBB.

I will be ordering a Z71 4wd Yukon when the become available hopefully in a few months!!!

• 5 months later...
I also own a 2006 GMC 1500 crew cab 4x4 Z71 with the 5.3 liter engine. with 16,000 miles.

This one is long too, sorry.  2 issues popped up with this truck.  A 50-70mph humming in 2wd mode (sometimes a solid hum, sometimes a hum...pause...hum...pause).  Trk also developed over time heavy noise/moan/vibration in 4wd mode at low speeds off-road.  I expect some noise, but this was too much!

In all attempts to get answers to my problem with the low spd vib in 4wd mode, I was told this is "normal", so the rest is about my high speed problems:

1st repair attempt: Bad bearings and lots of metal found in the front differential.  Repair (not a replacement) of the diff made.

2nd attempt: GM mechanic that rebuilt front diff swears he did it right, dlr looks for other causes and replaces 2 mufflers figuring its exhaust related.  Still humms at high speeds (50 to 70 mph)

3rd attempt: Dlr said they have had several 4x4s in with transfer case lube probs, dlr told me to push 4hi button at fwy speeds to see if hum goes away.  It does!  Transfer case torn apart, some lube kit installed.  I get it back and it now hums intermittently.  Better, but not gone. 

4th attempt: Take back to dlr and I find out another vehicle ('05 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4wd) is in same day with identical probs.  GM field rep is there, tears apart driveline on both cars (front and rear diff, trans, transfer case..everything)  Finds one reversed bearing in both transfer cases.  Got back, prob still exists.  Dlr knows there is prob, GM won't do anything more for me.  They have no clue what might be wrong!  Sounds are driving me nuts!

Filed arbitration paperwork with the BBB the next day and negotiated a buyback and replacement from GM with some hassle before the hearing.

Lesson learned: Document everything well, keep pushing to get the prob resolved and if you don't...call the BBB.

I will be ordering a Z71 4wd Yukon when the become available hopefully in a few months!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Curious where you are located and if we are dealing with the same moronic dealership. I have an 06 Sierra that is demonstrating the same symptoms as yours. Took it to the dlr (swanson in GlenBurnie, MD) today and was told it was an alignment issue (noticed tires feathering), they realigned and sent me on my way saying that the vibration was from the tires and that it should dissappear as the tires wear in correctly. What a load of BS, they did not even rotate the tires. I will be rotating the tires this weekend but I doubt that will change anything.

I will chalk it up to strike 1 for GM, they have three more tries before I get a new 07. Hopefully it won't come to that because I like my truck but if they can't fix it it's a lemon...

Curious where you are located and if we are dealing with the same moronic dealership. I have an 06 Sierra that is demonstrating the same symptoms as yours. Took it to the dlr (swanson in GlenBurnie, MD) today and was told it was an alignment issue (noticed tires feathering), they realigned and sent me on my way saying that the vibration was from the tires and that it should dissappear as the tires wear in correctly. What a load of BS, they did not even rotate the tires. I will be rotating the tires this weekend but I doubt that will change anything.

I will chalk it up to strike 1 for GM, they have three more tries before I get a new 07. Hopefully it won't come to that because I like my truck but if they can't fix it it's a lemon...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am in California. Keep pushing them to locate the cause if its not the tires. I think they tried rotating mine to see if it did anything so based on that I guess it could be possible that it is the cause. They should have rotated the tires!

In my case the dealership was trying their hardest to find the problem. GM actually stopped them from doing anymore warranty work because they had gone through everything.

I am the proud owner of a new '07 GMT-900 Z71 Crew Cab truck!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 01 Sierra 2500 Two years ago, I spun the pinion in my front diff which in turn pretty much destroyed the whole front end. The dealership here completely rebuilt it under warranty which saved me $3600. When I got it back, there was absolutley no sound what so ever. Less than a year later I started getting a growling noise at highway speed. I took it back to the dealer and after ripping the whole thing apart again, they found the front U-joint was seized. They also told me that there was a very slight differance in tire wear which was causing some moaning. I put new tires on a few weeks later and the noise disappeared. Funny how the slightest differance makes a huge concern.

• 1 month later...

I am in California. Keep pushing them to locate the cause if its not the tires. I think they tried rotating mine to see if it did anything so based on that I guess it could be possible that it is the cause. They should have rotated the tires!

In my case the dealership was trying their hardest to find the problem. GM actually stopped them from doing anymore warranty work because they had gone through everything.

I am the proud owner of a new '07 GMT-900 Z71 Crew Cab truck!!

:confused:

Strike 2 - Took it in and had the TSB for the diff case replacement performed. Noise is still there... I think I have found a dealership that is willing to work with me on this though so back to the dealership I go...

I had a similar issue with my 02 Yukon XL 4wd. Three trips to the dealer did nothing but frustrate me. I was very PO'd when they told me they took my transfer case out and opened it up. In my case it was very obvious it was coming from the front diff. I even had the service manager walk alongside the truck and listen to the grinding sounds. Finaly as a last ditch effort they checked the front diff and determined it was eating itself. :confused: After this fiasco, I traded to my 04 Silverado. No grinding or growling just power steering issues.

My dealership kept my '06 that was bought back for more than a month trying to figure out the problems before it went off to be auctioned as a buyback lemon.

They REPLACED the transfer case this time which is something they didn't do before. I was told that it didn't fix it either.

I guess there are some that can't be fixed :D

• 1 month later...

I have an '04 Z-71 short bed reg. cab I bought used last year. In 4WD Auto something did not seem right from the beggining, a little bit of noise and more drag than there should be. Now when deccelerating it has a loud groan, which then sounds like a grind, and below 5mph the noise just stops. My current mileage is 25K and warranty will last until late april. (I then have an extended warranty purchased through Ford for used cars) Monday the dealer worked on the truck (waterpump, rear driveshaft/transfer case seal) and gave me a runaround about this noise. The lady I spoke to gave me more than one story, therefor telling me that she is full of it.

Story 1- These noises are hard to find and GM does not authorize guesses

Story 2- I should only use 4wd Auto under most slippery conditions (I thought that was what 4 HI is for)

Story 3- They are not allowed to take my truck off-road to find the noise, they will not turn 4WD Auto w/o being off-road

Story 4- If will make some noise if is not in full slippery conditions

Story 5- Your truck is fine because we drove it in 2 Hi and there is no noise

I mentioned my search on this message board and she went off telling me that I should stay off the internet because that puts ideas in my head about what is wrong with my truck. I then reminded I searched about the noise only after hearing the noise. She then suggested that I take it to the dealer who sold the truck new.

I bought this truck used from a Ford dealer (Ramp Ford). When things needed repair they reminded me that the truck has factory warranty and sent me to Ramp Chevy. The reason I bought it at a Ford dealer was I was trading in a Mach 1 mustang that had just gotten a replacement engine on warranty. I cannot believe the amount of work this truck has needed under warranty, it has really had a lot.

I am now waiting on parts for the third attempt at fixing my noise (they are going to swap out the entire front diff).

rob, sounds like your ford and GM dealers are owned by the same people (ramp)? You might want to go back to the sales people at the ford dealership and explain your problem and that their GM dealer wont fix it.

Is there any truth to the claim that it will make noise if the pavement is not slippery enough? With the Ford used car extended warranty I have I may be able to make them fix it. Ford thinking from vehicles like the explorer Auto 4WD is always used. There is also another Chevy dealer which is next to my friends shop and he is very friendly with them. I think I'm going to pull off my skid plate and see if there is the play that someone else had at the axles. If there is any I will take a video of the movement. Monday the truck goes back to the dealer for another cluster.

It is normal to have some increased noise from the front end when in Auto4WD vs 2WD because the axle is engaged but the drive line is not engaged at the transfer case unless slippage is detected. My truck has some noise in Auto4wd but my concern is a cyclical noise/vibration between 50-70 mph that occurs in 2wd. It may be the same in Auto4WD but masked due to the rest of the driveline noise/vibration but most of the posters on here note that some noise in Auto4WD is normal for these trucks. There should not be any problem with running Auto4WD on dry surfaces but you will see decreased gas mileage if you use it regularly. There is a chance that what you are feeling/hearing is the same as almost everyone here experiences in 4auto and the GM dealer will say it is normal.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I haven't experienced that noise (knocking on wood) the noise i have occasionally is a clicking/tapping noise when backing up or at slow speeds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My '97 does exactly that. I'm like most everyone else, if it still works I'll have to live with it. I would love to know what that noise is though? If you ever figure it out, please post.

i would just like to say that the noise that comes from the transfer case is the transfer case. It is what occurs with all four wheel drive vehicles the transfer case is right under the cab of the truck and when engaged will make noise in order for the gears to put power to the front wheels. the reason the truck jerks or makes a clicking noise when turning is from one tire having to rotate more than the other while in four wheel drive.

Archived