Fix for 4wd noise-T-case or front differential

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem? It has been discussed on this site several times, but I have never found where anybody got a satisfactory resolution to the problem. Is it something everyone is just decding to live with? What a horrible sound to have to live with just because GM hasn't been willing to figure it out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My truck's out of warranty, so as long as it works, I'm going to have to live with it.

If I knew what a good solution was, I'd like to fix it, but the service manual doesn't really cover the innards of the T-Case and I'm not going to tear apart the entire drivetrain to try to figure it out.

I'd really like to know what causes the noise, but I just don't see how I could tell, other than taking it to a dealer and from what I've read, they're probably just going to throw (very expensive) parts at it.

Are there any TSBs out on it yet that include anything other than "replace the transfer case" or "replace the front differential"?

The noise is either in the front differential or the transfer case, and mine is a deep moaning sound accompanied by some vibration that occurs when in 4x4 whether turning or not. It also happens in 4wd Hi and Auto 4wd.

My truck is also out of warranty so I am likely to live with it also.

I had a 2001 Silverado that did that same thing while under warranty and I got them to replace everything, but it never got much quieter.

It just seems that it has been talked about alot on this site and nobody has figured it out yet. Likewise, this is a common complaint to GM service centers and they apparently haven't figured it out yet either. I just talked to a GM technician a few days ago and he said he just had one torn apart trying to resolve this same problem and couldn't find anything wrong. He put it back together and it still made the noise. At some point he rotated the tires front to back, and the noise is gone.

I just can't believe that customers of these vehicles have put up with this problem without getting a solution.

I must be one of the unlucky ones because I have owned two of these vehicles and they both made this noise. I have a friend that is on his fourth and he has never heard it.

The noise is either in the front differential or the transfer case, and mine is a deep moaning sound accompanied by some vibration that occurs when in 4x4 whether turning or not.  It also happens in 4wd Hi and Auto 4wd. 

My truck is also out of warranty so I am likely to live with it also.

I had a 2001 Silverado that did that same thing while under warranty and I got them to replace everything, but it never got much quieter. 

It just seems that it has been talked about alot on this site and nobody has figured it out yet.  Likewise, this is a common complaint to GM service centers and they apparently haven't figured it out yet either.  I just talked to a GM technician a few days ago and he said he just had one torn apart trying to resolve this same problem and couldn't find anything wrong.  He put it back together and it still made the noise.  At some point he rotated the tires front to back, and the noise is gone. 

I just can't believe that customers of these vehicles have put up with this problem without getting a solution. 

I must be one of the unlucky ones because I have owned two of these vehicles and they both made this noise.  I have a friend that is on his fourth and he has never heard it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we're talking about the same noise, although mine gets significantly louder when turning, regardless of how slippery the road conditions are.

I expect a degree of noise increase while in 4wd or auto, just because of the additional machinery that has to come into play, and all of that being right under or in front of the cab, but what I hear seems well out of what should be acceptable.

Problem is, how do you go about diagnosing it?

I changed my LH drive shaft and differential bearing last winter, because the joint seemed a little too sloppy, but that didn't help. The RH side seems OK.

Wheels seem nice and tight, so that pretty much rules out the hub. I changed the U-joint on the driveshaft to the front diff. My best guess is its internal to the front diff or the front xfer case, but there's no easy way to take the diagnosis further without disassembling either or both.

Well I haven't experienced that noise (knocking on wood) the noise i have occasionally is a clicking/tapping noise when backing up or at slow speeds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My '97 does exactly that. I'm like most everyone else, if it still works I'll have to live with it. I would love to know what that noise is though? If you ever figure it out, please post.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?  It has been discussed on this site several times, but I have never found where anybody got a satisfactory resolution to the problem.  Is it something everyone is just decding to live with?  What a horrible sound to have to live with just because GM hasn't been willing to figure it out.

You guys ever try this site for recalls and service bulletins?

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/

You will have to pay for your vehicle but its everything you want to know.

Take care :D

It may be a normal noise that all 4x4's make, but mine and some others apparently are much more pronounced.

My S-10 has it, but in the S-10 I don't have to crank the radio up just to drown out the souund of the front-end coming apart. I have been in a lot of other Silverados, Yukons, Tahoes, Sierras and don't hear the noise level that mine puts out.

• 2 months later...
Well I haven't experienced that noise (knocking on wood) the noise i have occasionally is a clicking/tapping noise when backing up or at slow speeds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My '97 does exactly that. I'm like most everyone else, if it still works I'll have to live with it. I would love to know what that noise is though? If you ever figure it out, please post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My 02 just started this when in reverse!!!! WHAT is it??

My 2000 Z71 does it............pretty much all of my past 4x4's have had this noise in 4 wheel drive to some degree............I beleive its the front diff binding a little...........one thing I have noticed with my Z71, is when its in 4WD its REALLY in 4WD. The front axel feels like it has a locker in it......which I like.......so I think that noise is really just the front diff locking up nice and tight......... :crazy:

Archived