Larger tire size?

Nope didn't have to do anything to hers, but hers is an 02. I really think they will fit. I pulled them off of my truck cuase I had 315/75/16 put on my truck, she was needing some new tires on her yukon. She had 265/75/16 on there already so I gave it a try and they worked fine. Didn't have to do anything to the yukon at all.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon XL2500 with the Quadrasteer package. I was wondering if I had to have the computer remapped to accommadate the 22" rims I just put on the truck. Someone in the mechanic shop i went to said that if the computer was not reprogrammed, that it could cause my transmission to labor and have problems.

I have a 2003 GMC Yukon XL2500 with the Quadrasteer package. I was wondering if I had to have the computer remapped to accommadate the 22" rims I just put on the truck. Someone in the mechanic shop i went to said that if the computer was not reprogrammed, that it could cause my transmission to labor and have problems.

Most handheld programmers (Predator, Hypertech, Superchips) can make the tire adjustment size change, although I do not know if that would apply to the quadrasteer package or not?

Stock size tires for that '99 should have been 245s I think. My '98 Yukon had 245s and I now have 265s on there. They rub frame when turned all the way. I have a friend that put 285s on his '98 Tahoe and had to crank torsion bars to clear everything....of course he wheels it, for a pavement only rig (or very light wheeler) might be just fine.

Stock size tires for that '99 should have been 245s I think.  My '98 Yukon had 245s and I now have 265s on there.  They rub frame when turned all the way.  I have a friend that put 285s on his '98 Tahoe and had to crank torsion bars to clear everything....of course he wheels it, for a pavement only rig (or very light wheeler) might be just fine.

I was under the impression that in a tire that is 285/75 R16 the 285 was the width of the tire. How wide the patch that contacts the road is. I though the 75 was the height of the sidewall. Am I wrong?

285 is the section width, 75 is the aspect ratio. The side wall height on a 285-75-16 would be 285*.75 or 213.75mm.

The overall height is the rim diameter plus 2x the side wall height.

16in X (25.4 mm/in) + 2(213.75mm) = 833.9mm = 32.8in This is the theoretical number, it varies between manufacturers.

Sorry the engineer kicked in.

285 is the section width, 75 is the aspect ratio.  The side wall height on a 285-75-16 would be 285*.75 or 213.75mm.

16in X (25.4 mm/in) + 2(213.75mm) = 833.9mm = 32.8in  This is the theoretical number, it varies between manufacturers.

Is this basically what someone would refer to as 33's? My truck is stock... what is the largest tire size I could go to? Also what would cranking the torsion bars do for me? Would that level the front and back?

285 is the section width, 75 is the aspect ratio.  The side wall height on a 285-75-16 would be 285*.75 or 213.75mm.

16in X (25.4 mm/in) + 2(213.75mm) = 833.9mm = 32.8in  This is the theoretical number, it varies between manufacturers.

Thank-You! Now I actually understand the whole thing!

Is this basically what someone would refer to as 33's? My truck is stock... what is the largest tire size I could go to? Also what would cranking the torsion bars do for me? Would that level the front and back?

Yeah 285 are "33s". IMO they are a little tight on any stock truck if your gonna wheel with it at all (after all isn't that what bigger tires are for???). When chassis and suspension start flexing they may hit.

Cranking torsion bars will bring front up to give more front tire clearence and level truck off. Many of these cheap 2" lift kits you see are simply 2" blocks for the rear leaf springs and instructions to crank on torsion bars. When you strt cranking them enough to gain 1"+ ride quality goes downhill real fast. I don't think the real harsh ride your gonna get is worth it.

Archived