Door Adjustment - How to do???

We have a 1999 Yukon that has a door adjustment problem. When the door is shut, you can still push it in about 1/4". This causes clunks when going over our dirt road and doesn't really leave me to think that if we get a good rain storm, that it will not leak.

I have looked at the striker bolt and there is no apparent adjustment (it just unscrews out with no slide. I also looked at the catch. It too does not appear to have any adjustment.

How do you adjust these doors so that they latch solid without any play left in them? This can't be a hinge issues as everything lines up without moving the door, etc when shut. It just doesn't shut tight.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had the same problem on my 98 Sierra. I have'nt seen a way to adjust them. But, The problem was actually in the door hinge pins. The pins and the bushings wore out. Try opening the door and lifting from the end, up. If there is some play the bushings and the pins mare bad(unless you have a cracked hinge). Another way to tell is that the striker bolt is worn at the top. ...Its $5.00 or so for the kit, but a real pain to get them off and back on. Hope this helps.

Archived