Avalanche vs GVWR vs trailer towing

The lease on the car is up in September and we are starting to look at replacement vehicles to buy. At the top of our list is an Av. At some point in the next year ot two we plan on getting a small trailer (around 18-21 feet) for camping. The question I have is regarding the GVWR on the 1500 Av.

The police are getting more stringent up here in Canada regarding overloading trucks pulling trailers, so I want to make sure I get the right size pickup.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the calculations here.

It seems like the GVWR of a 1500 4X4 Av is 7,000 lbs. The truck itself weighs right around 5,700 lbs (heavy). If you load it up with 4 occupants (600 lbs.) + 400 lbs. of cargo + the tongue weight of the trailer 400 lbs (this is an average of a few 21 foot trailers I have examined) I come up with a total weight on the truck of 7,100 lbs. According to this I would be overloaded on the Av. Does this seem right?? If this is the case then it wouldn't seem like the 1500 Av would be able to legally tow very much at all.

I know that on the GM website it says it has a towing capacity of over 6,000 lbs, but that doesn't really have a bearing on the GVWR. If my calculations are correct, the 1500 Av wouldn't tow much, and I would need to look at the 2500 Av instead. I am not keen on that idea mainly because of gas mileage concerns and the much stiffer suspension. We would only be towing the trailer 3-4 weeks a year, but if I get pulled over and am overweight, they force you to leave the trailer where it is until you can tow it with a proper vehicle (at least in one province up here in Canada).

Can anybody help clarify this for me at all, or point out the error in my calculations??

I am not talking about whether the truck has the power or not to pull the trailer, I am sure it does, I am interested in if I would be exceeding the legal weight limit  (GVWR) of the truck if I was pulling the trailer.

I have also posted this on another website but thought I would try here as well.

Stephen

Technically, you are correct.  I can't imagine you getting stopped, because the vehicle would carry itself well and wouldn't look over loaded.

However, most 1/2 ton pick-ups and all the Trailblazers and Explorers and Durangos are worse off yet!!!  I wonder how these people pull these huge trailers and boats behind those things!!!

I know in the states (PA anyways) you can register your license plates up one class.  If you can do that in Canada, you would be fine.

Here is mike b. reply:  (aka dmdbit)

It may not be easiest but you could put as much cargo in the trailer as possible.That may leave the av light enough to make it under the gvwr.

mike b

Here is mike b. reply:  (aka dmdbit)

It may not be easiest but you could put as much cargo in the trailer as possible.That may leave the av light enough to make it under the gvwr.

mike b

Thanks Shaners. I was thinking that as well, but it would still be cutting it real close. I am not sure if the weight GM lists for the Av by itself is full or empty in the gas tank. If the weight they give is with the gas tank empty, then that extra 26 gallons of gas (Cdn) would increase the weight accordingly. It seems kind of sad that a truck with such great capabilities, ability to haul 4 people in comfort, can only tow an extremely small travel trailer.

That does seem to be how it works out... most vehicles commonly used to tow can either tow a load or haul passengers but not both at the same time.  That's why the 2500 Av. and Suburbans exist, to be able to do both simultaneously.  That's also a big part of why I have a 2500HD and not a Yukon.

My church youth group last summer was leaving on a mission trip driving from Colorado to Kentucky to help build houses.  They loaded 14 kids + sponsor into a '93 Chevy G30 15 passenger van and loaded tools, clothes etc into a 6x12 enclosed single axle trailer.  I sugested as trip across a scale, one axle at a time, before they left...they were in on the combination weight, but 600# over on GVWR and 1100 pounds over on the rear axle (which required 80 psi in its 225/75R16 tires!)  A pickup truck accompanied them on the trip, towing the trailer and hauling 2 of the kids.

Stephen

The number you want to be looking for is the GCVWR, or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating.  The weight a vehicle can carry / tow is based on the number of axles.  By adding the trailer, you add axles, and increase the load capacity somewhat.

I don't have my Av reference material here, but the GM Canada site lists a trailer weight of 8100lb for a 1500 with 4.10's.  With the appropriate weight dist. hitch, you shouldn't have a problem towing anything up to that weight, as long as you don't exceed the GCVWR.

I am not sure what prov. you are in, I am in BC, and if you take your papers to a highway scale here, the Scalemaster will help you decipher the specifics.

The world as I understand it, hope it helps

Scott

Thanks Scott. it is actually BC that I am concerned about. I am in Alberta, but we do most of our camping in BC. I have heard horror stories about people having to leave their trailers behind because the vehicle itself has exceeded their GVWR, not their GCVWR, hence the reason I posed the question. Now I am a little confused as to which is the correct weight rating to worry about.

Hey Stephen

Here are a couple of numbers for you to try and call

ICBC Weigh Scales - Port Mann Westbound

ICBC Commercial Vehicle Services

One of these two offices should be able to give you the information you are after.  ICBC now handles the Motor Vehicle Branch issues here in BC, and these folks should be able to give you a diffinative answer.  My experience here is that unless you are grossly overloaded, you don't attract much attention.  But if you give these folks a call with some numbers in hand, they will be able to set the record straight for you, as these are the same that would tag you for overweight.

You also might have some success at www.ICBC.com

On the Av2500 issue, they turn out to not be as scarey as you might think.  Mine rides at least 50% better than my 99 K1500 Suburban, and is getting 12 city and 16-17 highway (canadian) out here on the wet coast.  I have the 8.1, 4.10's and a 12000 lb. tow capacity.  

Hope this helps

Scott

Saint,

Is it possible in Canada to register your license plates to a higher GVW?

I would think if you are willing to pay the higher registration costs, you would be legal.  More than likely the police are checking the GVW of your plates and not the vehicle.  Most pick-ups running around in PA are licensed for a higher GVW than what is listed by the manufacturer.

(i'm the opposite: I liscensed mine down about 1500 lbs and saved $75/year in fees)

Archived