Steering Wheel W/controls

Anyone know of a vendor that sells the steering wheel w/radio controls for the truck listed below in my sig.

Any help would be great.

I have the factory part #15188425, but gmpartsdirect doesn't have it on their web site.

Badgerman, I have one available with that exact part number. I just removed it from my 03 Silverado after getting a wood wheel for Xmas. It's in excellent condition with DIC controls, airbag mounts and harness included. It's leather. I'm looking to sell it.

Badgerman, I have one available with that exact part number. I just removed it from my 03 Silverado after getting a wood wheel for Xmas. It's in excellent condition with DIC controls, airbag mounts and harness included. It's leather. I'm looking to sell it.

So ... How great is the resell value of your truck without the air bag? Something smells fishy.

So ... How great is the resell value of your truck without the air bag? Something smells fishy.

Resell is better since you upgrade your wheel and just use your existing airbag in the switch. It's even cheaper than buying a new air bag when it's a straight swap.

with existing airbag swap :thumbs:

buying a new one you don't need :cheers:

You just can't swap out steering wheels. Unfortunately, the wire harnesses are completely different. My understanding is it also goes to the BCM. I tried doing this on my '04 and gave up.

Resell is better since you upgrade your wheel and just use your existing airbag in the switch. It's even cheaper than buying a new air bag when it's a straight swap.

with existing airbag swap :cheers:

buying a new one you don't need :bs:

You are correct. A couple of years ago(or was it last year ?) someone either here or on another board had instructions for converting a non-DIC/steering wheel truck to one that was. As I recall it was a quite a process and not one that the average shade tree could do easily.

• 4 weeks later...

I converted my 2005 Crew cab.

The process is the same for a 2003.

Besides the wheel you will need a new clockspring wire harness, about a 2 hour job.

If you have a light duty pickup, you will need part number 26101829 (they have 2 stage air bags). If you have a heavy duty truck, order part number 26101828 (This is a single stage air bag). You can take off your airbag and look to see if it has 1 or 2 pigtails connected to it. 1 for a single stage, 2 for a 2 stage. Make sure to disconnect your battery for at least 20 minutes prior to pulling your airbag. You don't want it to go off durring the process.

Here's a great tutorial for the removal/install proceedure. http://autowoods.com/installation_guide.htm

Then you will need to take your truck to the dealership and have them call GM techline and get new VCI numbers for the IPC and TBC (each has a separate number). Then they use the Tech 2 handheld programmer to upload the new codes into your truck.

This is the best mod I've done to my truck and I'll never buy one without these controls again!

Good luck!

Besides the wheel you will need a new clockspring wire harness, about a 2 hour job.

If you have a light duty pickup, you will need part number 26101829 (they have 2 stage air bags). If you have a heavy duty truck, order part number 26101828 (This is a single stage air bag). You can take off your airbag and look to see if it has 1 or 2 pigtails connected to it. 1 for a single stage, 2 for a 2 stage. Make sure to disconnect your battery for at least 20 minutes prior to pulling your airbag. You don't want it to go off durring the process.

Here's a great tutorial for the removal/install proceedure. http://autowoods.com/installation_guide.htm

Then you will need to take your truck to the dealership and have them call GM techline and get new VCI numbers for the IPC and TBC (each has a separate number). Then they use the Tech 2 handheld programmer to upload the new codes into your truck.

This is the best mod I've done to my truck and I'll never buy one without these controls again!

Good luck!

crowebar, You successfully installed a steering wheel without radio controls to one that does have radio controls and it works? If so I need some info! My truck has the non-steering wheel controls and I have been waiting one w/ radio controls for some time. Do the computer functions work also? THANKS!

Good luck!

crowebar, You successfully installed a steering wheel without radio controls to one that does have radio controls and it works? If so I need some info! My truck has the non-steering wheel controls and I have been waiting one w/ radio controls for some time. Do the computer functions work also? THANKS!

I have a 2001 HD 2500 Crew Cab and would like to add the steering wheel controls. I saw a 2001 Denali steering wheel with controls on e-bay for $50. Does anyone know how hard it is to change over to the steering wheel controls on the 2001 HD 2500? I wonder if my stock delco radio will work or do I have to change the radio as well. Anyone know part numbers etc? Can you order different color air bag covers (tan/balck) from GM or is the air bag cover and air bag one in the same.

Thanks!!!

That is correct.

My 2005 Crew cab 4x4 1500 did not come with steering wheel controls.

I bought a new steering wheel with controls off of ebay and bought a clockspring with harness from gm parts direct. Then I installed both. Unfortunatly it's not plug and play! I had to take my truck back to the dealership where they got new codes for the TBC and IPC. After that everything worked (computer DIC fuctions and Radio just as if I had ordered the truck with the buttons from the factory). What was interesting is that the computer had been keeping track of MPG and the other functions since the day it was new! I soon reset the 14.4 avg MPG and have been doing better ever since! Funny how I get better gas milage when the numbers are looking me right in the face!

I have more detailed information if you are interested.

Good Luck.

DC

Good luck!

I have a 2001 HD 2500 Crew Cab and would like to add the steering wheel controls. I saw a 2001 Denali steering wheel with controls on e-bay for $50. Does anyone know how hard it is to change over to the steering wheel controls on the 2001 HD 2500? I wonder if my stock delco radio will work or do I have to change the radio as well. Anyone know part numbers etc? Can you order different color air bag covers (tan/balck) from GM or is the air bag cover and air bag one in the same.

Thanks!!!

For 1999 to 2002 trucks the proceedure is different. I think Jason at JP customs will have everything you will need for your truck.

2003 to 2006 trucks are done the way I mentioned in my last post.

Hope this makes sence?

DC

That is correct.

My 2005 Crew cab 4x4 1500 did not come with steering wheel controls.

I bought a new steering wheel with controls off of ebay and bought a clockspring with harness from gm parts direct. Then I installed both. Unfortunatly it's not plug and play! I had to take my truck back to the dealership where they got new codes for the TBC and IPC.  After that everything worked (computer DIC fuctions and Radio just as if I had ordered the truck with the buttons from the factory). What was interesting is that the computer had been keeping track of MPG and the other functions since the day it was new! I soon reset the 14.4 avg MPG and have been doing better ever since! Funny how I get better gas milage when the numbers are looking me right in the face!

I have more detailed information if you are interested.

Good Luck.

DC

Yes I am very interested! How much did the whole setup cost you? What is the more detailed information? Thank You!!!

Who did you get your wheel from? I did a quick search on google and didn't come up with anything except the aftermarket wheels.

Archived