Hole in my Transfer Case

Landon T, If you will go to Dieselplace.com, you will find extensive info about "Pump Rub ". From the sounds of it, you have not done any damage to the transfer case yet. There is a fix provided by Eric Merchant (Vendor). He has a kit for $175 that will eliminate the problem. It is not just a patch. A vendor named Kennedy has a fix also. A company named Sonnax has a kit out also that some people on Dieselplace have used and it is only $65. This problem is so common it was included in a segment of "Truck U " on the Speed Channel. They used Eric Merchant's fix on their program. Check out these sources and I think you can do the repair and be OK from here on.

Im new to this forum.

But the last few days Ive been reseraching this issue quite heavilly.

My bad luck...

Purchased an 05 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6 TD with 142,900 kms.

Had 2 used vehichle inspections from 2 different certified GM dealers.

The one noticed the Tcase was low on fluid.

Looked for leaks and found nothing apparent (I was there and neither did I) and did a Tcase service and fill.

At 143,500 kms (One week after I bought the truck) I noticed spots in my garage under the Tcase.

Took it back to the dealer and we both looked at the Tcase again, I thought maybe they didnt tighten something up as the fluid was minimal while parked. (Normal)

(Same mechanic that did the nspection) We both noticed a tiny pinhole on the rear top half of the case. Told me the same story about the spring, pump, movment and wear issue. Quoted me 900$ + 5 hrs labour for the rear half of the casing (Assuming all the internals were good) or 2400$ for the full transfer case and 2 hrs labour.

I never got recomended the "Patch" solution but they made it quite clear that this is a known problem. too bad GM has done NOTHING to help us out on the out of pocket cost and repairs to whats a well known problem..

Long story short in reading through countless forums the general idea Im reading is around 140,000 kms (90,000 miles) these problems are occuring. and my Warrenty (5 year, 160k) expired 2 months ago...

Nice surprise cost for a truck that was just purchased, and 2 GM certified inspections were completed on.

• 3 weeks later...
Landon T, If you will go to Dieselplace.com, you will find extensive info about "Pump Rub ". From the sounds of it, you have not done any damage to the transfer case yet. There is a fix provided by Eric Merchant (Vendor). He has a kit for $175 that will eliminate the problem. It is not just a patch. A vendor named Kennedy has a fix also. A company named Sonnax has a kit out also that some people on Dieselplace have used and it is only $65. This problem is so common it was included in a segment of "Truck U " on the Speed Channel. They used Eric Merchant's fix on their program. Check out these sources and I think you can do the repair and be OK from here on.
youtube video of speed channel episode of truck U

I have the same thing going on. I've been looking for this leak for a while now. I saw the photo's on here and I'll be damned if there isn't a hole in the exact same place in my T/C. I've ordered the parts from Merchant Automotive, and I'll be fixing the problem as soon as they get here. I'm not at all happy with Chevy. How could they let a design flaw such as this continue for so long and not do anything about it all the while there are guys out there puking their T/C. I'm thinkin it's time to break out the poison pen, and build a letter to send off to Chevy. :dunno:

Edited by donniecfd32

Is this problem still unresolved in 2007+ new body style 4X4 trucks?

Is this problem still unresolved in 2007+ new body style 4X4 trucks?

Nobody knows? :sigh:

What, still no answer? :(

MS3DALE, are you there? We need an answer on this one!

Anybody home? :wtf:

:dunno:

:D

Sorry Pete,Its been over a year and I just now saw this :cheers: I don't look in the heavy-duty section much!

I actually don't know if they've resolved this issue with the GMT900 trucks or not,I would hope so,The GMT900's have been out for over three years now and we haven't seen any issues with the transfer cases on any of them at our place.

I see that one 1/2 ton driver has had a problem on this thread.

Are the t-cases the same across the GM truck line (1500-3500)?

Larry

No,Not always....Most GMT800 1/2-tons have either the NVG246 (AutoTrac) or NP261 (non-AutoTrac) Some also have the BW4481 or BW4482.

Most GMT800 3/4-1-tons have the NP263,although some do have the NP261.

You can look at your RPO codes to determine which one you have...

NP1 - NP263

NP2 - NP261

NP3 - NP149

NP8 - NVG246

NR3 - BW4481

NR4 - BW4482

BTW..."NP" stands for New-Process,"NVG" stands for New-Venture Gear,and "BW" stands for Borg-Warner.

Edited by MS3DALE

I can only assume unless NPG either installs more or a

different design wear clip or uses one of the aftermarket

anti rub devices (all pictured elsewhere in this thread)

and yes they are still using the same cases in the gmt-900

as the gmt-800s this problem will continue.............

They are NOT using the same transfer cases in the GMT900 trucks that they used in the GMT800's.

I have an '04 2500 LD CCSB 4X4 6.0, not an HD. What model of transfer case do I have in my truck?

You can look at your RPO codes to determine which transfer case you have...

NP1 - NP263

NP2 - NP261

NP3 - NP149

NP8 - NVG246

NR3 - BW4481

NR4 - BW4482

Edited by MS3DALE

Subject: Improved Oil, Fluid Wear Pump Clip

Models: 1998-2007 Light Duty Trucks and Utilities

Equipped with New Venture Gear Transfer Cases RPO NP1, NP2, NP3, NP4, NP8

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Oil pump wear clip P/N 12470559 is broken or out of position. This may cause the pump to wear a pin hole in the transfer case rear half. If the wear is severe the transfer case may be damaged due to lack of lubrication. The clip may fatigue and break. The clip may become loose and shift out of position.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A new clip design has been released. P/N 89059653 is available for both production and service. This new part totally cancels and supersedes the former P/N 12470559. Only the new clip will be available.

This new oil pump wear clip should be used whenever a transfer case is opened for any type of internal service.GMSPO currently has inventory of the new part.

Well, doody.

I have both NP4 and NP8 codes.

Sounds like a common problem. Anyone hazard a guess? 10%? 5%? More? less?

Does the t-case only lose fluid going down the road, or might I see it on the garage floor?

Larry

You better double check,You can't have both codes,I think you just have NP8.

NP4 is the code for the AWD transfer case in some of the SUV's and Denali pickups.

If you post the last 8 digits of your VIN I can run it and see which codes you have.

Edited by MS3DALE

Well, doody.

Sounds like a common problem. Anyone hazard a guess? 10%? 5%? More? less?

Does the t-case only lose fluid going down the road, or might I see it on the garage floor?

Larry

Could it be they installed two transfer cases in his truck by mistake? :dunno:

• 5 months later...

Add me to the list...noticed that the underside of my truck got hosed down with fluid yesterday...went looking for a bad seal to fix and found the dreaded pinhole in the transfer case.

I've ordered the replacement rear housing and oil pump upgrade kit from Merchant Automotive which will be here on Thursday. I'm just curious if anyone can point me to some tips or tricks that may help remove and reinstall the the transfer case on my 2002 2500HD 4X4 8.1 lt Allison?

I'd really like to not have to pull the cross member and front torsion bars...but that doesn't appear possible?

If I do have to pull the cross member, what all am I going to need tool wise to handle the torsion bars?

Thanks,

Lance

I'm going to go ahead and post these pictures in case it helps anyone else decide to go ahead and fix this before it wears through...

Okay, here we go...

Hole the Transfer case came out of

T-CaseFix1.jpg

Back half of the case removed

T-CaseFix2.jpg

Only parts removed from the Transfer case

T-CaseFix3.jpg

T-CaseFix10.jpg

The oil pump housing sitting in the back half of the case

T-CaseFix4.jpg

Look how sharp the edges of it are

T-CaseFix5.jpg

The spring clip (bandaid fix) New Process put in the cases to keep the oil pump from rubbing through the case

T-CaseFix6.jpg

The part of the clip that broke off

T-CaseFix7.jpg

That is the loose part that was stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the case.

Better picture of the hole wore through the case

T-CaseFix8.jpg

Where one of the other cogs of the oil pump was also wearing through the case.

T-CaseFix9.jpg

If you have a truck with a NP or NV transfer case and it has many miles on it at all, I'd highly suggest putting the Merchant Automotive $175 fix in it BEFORE it wears through and you chance destroying a $1500-2000 transfer case.

It really isn't that big of a job and it's cheap insurance.

Hopefully I'll get mine back together and back in the truck this afternoon after my new parts get here.