Instrument Control Panel problems

BillGriff1

Question

My 2003 Suburban began having intermittent instrument panel failures in July of 2005. While returning from vacation, the instrument panel did not work after starting the vehicle. Nothing on the panel worked at all. No speedometer, no gauges, no driver information center... not even an gear indicator. Radio, A/C, wipers, headlights, turn indicators worked properly.

As it was the weekend, I decided to continue driving home and take it in to the dealer on Monday. After driving an hour or so with no instruments, I heard a bell and the instrument panel cycled on and began working properly. I didn't take it in to the dealer since it was working properly, however, in a couple of weeks I had the same problem.

This time I took it to the dealer. The technician read the service code(s) and determined my instrument panel needed to be replace. While he was checking the codes, the panel began working properly again. With the significant cost of replacing the panel, I decided to wait on the repair.

I searched the Internet for information and found something that seemed to indicated the electrical system was highly sensitive to low voltage situations. I had my battery checked and found I had a dead cell. I replaced the battery and the problem seems to disappear.

Today the problem reappeared. When I entered the vehicle this morning, I noticed the driver's information center (DIC) was fully lit; each character position was fully illuminated... rectangles across the entire DIC. I started the vehicle without any problem... but the instrument panel is not working.

Any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated.

0 answers to this question

There's an updated calibration for the IPC that corrects and issue like this, but as I recall, it only affects the gauges, not the DIC or PRNDL.  Still, I'd want the latest calibration in there because it may fix it and it's an easy thing to do.

If it's not the calibration, then I'd lean towards an ignition switch. Need to do some voltage checks when the problem occurs.

Thanks for the reply. Where can I obtain more information on this "updated calibration" for the IPC? I'd like to know when it became available. Also, is this something the dealer must perform? My vehicle is now out of warranty; it was still under warranty when the problem first surfaced.

Also, regarding the ignition switch as a possible source of the problem; which voltages should be checked when the problem occurs?

Thanks in advance.

HMMM, Did everyone get their new replacement instrument cluster from their dealer? You guys know that all you have to do is tell the dealer you are having instrument panel issues and the dealer will replace the cluster free of charge, no mileage or time limit (at least for 03-04 gm pickups, denalis, yukon etc.) you may have to be firm with the dealer, but they will replace the cluster. this would be a good place to start, IMHO

Campaign - Instrument Cluster Warranty Extension

Bulletin No.: 07187A

Date: November 08, 2007

SPECIAL COVERAGE

Subject:

07187A - SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models:

2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

Supercede:

THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IN THIS BULLETIN HAS BEEN REVISED. IN A SMALL NUMBER OF VEHICLES, THE GAUGE SWEEP TEST MAY NOT ALWAYS CONFIRM THE CONDITION. PLEASE REVIEW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IMMEDIATELY.

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

HMMM, Did everyone get their new replacement instrument cluster from their dealer? You guys know that all you have to do is tell the dealer you are having instrument panel issues and the dealer will replace the cluster free of charge, no mileage or time limit (at least for 03-04 gm pickups, denalis, yukon etc.) you may have to be firm with the dealer, but they will replace the cluster. this would be a good place to start, IMHO

SPECIAL COVERAGE

Subject:

07187A - SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models:

Supercede:

THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IN THIS BULLETIN HAS BEEN REVISED. IN A SMALL NUMBER OF VEHICLES, THE GAUGE SWEEP TEST MAY NOT ALWAYS CONFIRM THE CONDITION. PLEASE REVIEW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IMMEDIATELY.

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

My 03 Tahoe has developed this issue in the last few months, unfortunately the car had over 85k miles when I bought it from a dealership and I did not purchase any kind of extended warranty. The TSB documentation available on the NHTSA website says only up to 7 years or 70k miles for free replacement. Does anyone know how much this would cost out of warranty?

Thanks.

There's an updated calibration for the IPC that corrects and issue like this, but as I recall, it only affects the gauges, not the DIC or PRNDL. Still, I'd want the latest calibration in there because it may fix it and it's an easy thing to do.

If it's not the calibration, then I'd lean towards an ignition switch. Need to do some voltage checks when the problem occurs.

I too have an intermittent instrument cluster. It fails upon startup. I originally had checked for a blown fuse or perhaps a relay going out but couldn't really pinpoint which fuse and/or relay served the cluster. Almost as mystereously as they quit they started working again. Now they are back out and I have noticed the eye in the battery does not show blue after the truck's been driven or even when placed on a charger overnight. Could it be a low battery and resultant volatge drop upon cranking the engine keeps the display from working? That's kind of weird. Once started why doesn't the display begin working again?

How is this calibration carried out? Anything I can do personally?

Thanks.

I recently was having a problem with the Instrument Panel Cluster in my 2003 GMC Yukon. Took it to the dealer and they said the IP Cluster intermittently will not display. They said they inspection and found an "internal failure with the instrument panle cluster." They said they replaced the IPC ($350). Picked up the car and the odometer reading is different by more than 20,000 miles.

So, does this mean they changed the odometer? Or, did they put a used board in?

Not sure where to go from here, but something sure isn't right.

Any suggestions?

SPECIAL COVERAGE

Subject:

Models:

Supercede:

Condition

My 03 Tahoe has developed this issue in the last few months, unfortunately the car had over 85k miles when I bought it from a dealership and I did not purchase any kind of extended warranty. The TSB documentation available on the NHTSA website says only up to 7 years or 70k miles for free replacement. Does anyone know how much this would cost out of warranty?

Thanks.

There's an updated calibration for the IPC that corrects and issue like this, but as I recall, it only affects the gauges, not the DIC or PRNDL. Still, I'd want the latest calibration in there because it may fix it and it's an easy thing to do.

Archived