Photo
- - - - -

2003 S10 high oil pressure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 dougs01gt

dougs01gt

Enthusiast

• 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

A guy i work with has a 03 s10 he is builing high oil pressure and its blowing by the oil filter. Any thoughts to what may cause this??

#2 JimsZR2

JimsZR2

Enthusiast

• 188 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

A guy i work with has a 03 s10 he is builing high oil pressure and its blowing by the oil filter. Any thoughts to what may cause this??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! That seems kinda scary! the only thing that would cause really high oil pressure is a pressure valve??

Edited by JimsZR2, 02 February 2006 - 11:07 PM.

#3 superbee

superbee

Enthusiast

• 468 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

There is a pressure regulator on the oil pump, essentially a spring loaded relief valve. If it fails it can cause presure to rise dramatically. Oil pumps are pd pumps, they'll pump till they break something without a relief valve. This is a pretty dangerous condition, high pressure can cause a cam bearing to spin. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Edited by superbee, 03 February 2006 - 10:17 AM.

2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 LBZ EC, LB, Line-X over the rail, Pro Comp 16x8s w/ 285 BFG TA KOs, Superchips Flashpaq
2003 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.0l 4.10, Bilsteins, 265 LTX MS on stock wheels (Wife's ride)

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

#4 beeg760

beeg760

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

:rolleyes: i have this same problem on a truck im working on a friend of mine says to check the oil pressure by pass valve wich is in the oil filter adapter at the engine block well maybe this is the problem ......just weird the way this done this one day everything was fine then next day he comes out of work and goes to start the truck and it stated puoring oil all over the graound pushing the oil past the seal on the filter....i do not beleive it is the check valve in the pump or i would like to beleive its not...im gonna go with the oil pressure by pass valve in the oil filter adapter if this works ill let you know...........good luck........ :D

#5 superbee

superbee

Enthusiast

• 468 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

You're right, I was thinking of that bypass but saying where the check is. Brain Fart. Sorry.
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 LBZ EC, LB, Line-X over the rail, Pro Comp 16x8s w/ 285 BFG TA KOs, Superchips Flashpaq
2003 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.0l 4.10, Bilsteins, 265 LTX MS on stock wheels (Wife's ride)

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764