Photo
- - - - -

Extended cab rear windows - wind noise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Green04

Green04

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

:rolleyes: I don't like the excessive wind noise from the pop-out windows on my extended cab. GM replaced the gaskets, and that seemed to help until it got cold. Now it's as bad as ever. (To add insult to injury, they really chipped up my paint around one of the windows and did a lousy job fixing the chips! :D )

BESIDES, gluing them shut, has anyone had these pop-out window seals replaced and gotten a significant reduction in noise?

#2 sablowme

sablowme

Enthusiast

• 488 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

Hey i also have the same issue with my ex-cab but just havent gotten around to fixing it. I work at a gm dealer here in maryland and just was online reading about this tsb, when i read your thread the tsb# is pit3787 and it looks like it is saying to adjust the rear quarter glass hinge so it pulls the glass tighter to the body of the truck. but if you can pull up that bullitan or see if some one has it and check it out

my garagehttp://www.gm-trucks...15662-sablowme/

2006 silverado crew 4x4 5.3l lt2: flowmaster 40, xtream throttle body spacer, 20% tint

1992 S10 2.5L (a) project...truck soon to be daily driver

#3 Buggle_96

Buggle_96

Enthusiast

• 288 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:13 PM

Got mine replaced within a month of having the truck. Have not had a problem since.
2005 ECSB Silverado 5.3L H.O.
Wait4me tune - Hot Tune 91+, with towing improvements.
Flowmaster Cat-back Kit #17362 - Love It!
aFe Stage II intake kit
Dual Aeroforce's on the pillar
DeeZee Black Powdercoated nerfs

Soon to come:
17" Weld Stonecrusher's wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG A/T KO's
Possible 4.10s.....?

#4 2000 GMC

2000 GMC

Enthusiast

• 321 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

I had both of mine replaced by the dealer and no problems since.

If I was you, I would take it back in and have both the window and chips fixed right.
"98% of all Ford trucks are still on the road. The other 2% made it home."

2000 GMC Sierra SLE, Ext cab, short bed, Z-71, 5.3 liter, Summit white, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow dual exhaust, Spray-in bedliner,  Access Roll-up Cover, Husky floor liners, stainless steel Smitybilt Nerf bars, Firestone Discovery LT 265/75R16

#5 cyclejerk

cyclejerk

Enthusiast

• 227 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

I had both of mine replaced by the dealer and no problems since.

If I was you, I would take it back in and have both the window and chips fixed right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They JACKED UP YOUR PAINT! THEY need to fix it, PERIOD! They have plenty-o-cash.
good luck w/ the windows too.
Michael V
Golden colorado
1999 Silverado Ext. cab, Sportside
5.3 Z71

#6 JCedar

JCedar

Enthusiast

• 125 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

tsb# is pit3787 and it looks like it is saying to adjust the rear quarter glass hinge so it pulls the glass tighter to the body of the truck

SO how do you adjust the hinge on that window???

Edited by JCedar, 17 February 2006 - 09:05 PM.

1999 GMC Sierra, NBS, Ext.Cab, Short Box, Z71 Color:Black
Dual Exhaust w/ NO mufflers, K&N Filter, BFG ATs

#7 regina_don

regina_don

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

d**n I have the same problem on my 1998 silverado but only on the 3rd door.
To me it looks like the latch isn't pulling the window in tight enough, I will be investigating the latch mechanism further to see if I can adjust it. :D

#8 2005 Z71

2005 Z71

Enthusiast

• 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Turn up your radio?
2005 Chevy 1500 Silverado
Crew Cab with Bose Sound System
MAGNAFLOW Performance 12259
VORTEC 5.3L 295HP IRON BLK V8
Z71 Off-Road with Heavy Duty Trailering Package
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

#9 larry arizona

larry arizona

Enthusiast

• 271 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

The hinges are not adjustable. The only way to fix is to pull the window and reset it deeper in the window pocket of the sheet metal. That means using less window adhesive. If that is not deep enough they will have to get another window assembly and hope that it is "tighter".

My dealer replaced the 1/4 windows in my 2000 Sierra for this conditon and the windows that came from the factory were both loose. They got new ones and set them with less adhesive and they were fine.

My 2002 had the driver side 1/4 window loose. Again the dealer replaced it but this time they reused the window with less adhesive.

Very common problem.

Yeah, get the dealer to repair the abuse to the paint. They will haunt you a couple years from now. It will rust and leak......

Give em hell!

#10 lawnscapes2

lawnscapes2

Enthusiast

• 48 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hi everyone i am new, and your site is awsome.

Anyway i have a 99 silverado ext cat with that wind noise problem and i heard about this replacement part that they sell on eBay i just bought it and havent gotten it to put it in yet.

here is the link:

Link

I will post an update on how it works but from what i heard it is the best $37 sopme people have spent in a long time.
1999 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 LT 5.3L - Medow Green Metallic

Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust, Volant cold air intake, Mobil 1 since new, Optima Red Top, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, Add a Leaf, 4 x Bilstein Hd's.

Black Go-Rhino grill guard, Billet Grill, Billet "Z71" 3rd brake cover, Custom Black Bow-Tie, Clear Corners, Silverstar hi/lo/fog, Black Bully nerf bars, 03' tail lights, Rhino lining, Black Diamondplate Weather Guard toolbox, New Z71 decals, removed all 4 badges, Sony Head Unit, and 1 x 12" JL Audio sub in a custom box. More to come...

#11 lerbud06

lerbud06

Enthusiast

• 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:11 PM

I am problems with my 2000 model and they replaced one of the windows and on the other they had some type of screw they added to tighten up the latch. Never had a problem with them after that.
Posted Image

2006 Crew Cab LT2 5.3L 2WD, Flex Fuel Engine,Wheatley 89 Tune, Volant Intake, Pace Edwards Bed Cover,Subthump Downfire Box, Kicker Subs, Billet Grille, Escalade Handles & dual exhaust

#12 Weasel

Weasel

Enthusiast

• 36 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

lawnscapes2: let us know as my 2000 has both windows making noise and I'd like a fix for them. Thanks

#13 toyoman28

toyoman28

Enthusiast

• 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:08 PM

Looks like they are still having probs with these windows. My 2005 GMC 1500 ext. cab has really bad windnoise on the passenger rear 1/4 window. They are replacing the whole window and frame assembly. Guess they get glued in wrong at the factory or something. The body shop manager said he sees quite a few of these and this is the only sure fire fix.

#14 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,498 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

There was a fix to stop the leak by adding the screw to the latch way back in 2000. It works well two of my business trucks have had it done.

#15 Jasonsupafly

Jasonsupafly

Enthusiast

• 393 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

Yeah let us know how it works...ive been wanting to do something about mine and for 37.00, id sure give it a try

Advertise Here