Extended cab rear windows - wind noise

:rolleyes: I don't like the excessive wind noise from the pop-out windows on my extended cab. GM replaced the gaskets, and that seemed to help until it got cold. Now it's as bad as ever. (To add insult to injury, they really chipped up my paint around one of the windows and did a lousy job fixing the chips! :D )

BESIDES, gluing them shut, has anyone had these pop-out window seals replaced and gotten a significant reduction in noise?

Hey i also have the same issue with my ex-cab but just havent gotten around to fixing it. I work at a gm dealer here in maryland and just was online reading about this tsb, when i read your thread the tsb# is pit3787 and it looks like it is saying to adjust the rear quarter glass hinge so it pulls the glass tighter to the body of the truck. but if you can pull up that bullitan or see if some one has it and check it out

• 1 month later...

The hinges are not adjustable. The only way to fix is to pull the window and reset it deeper in the window pocket of the sheet metal. That means using less window adhesive. If that is not deep enough they will have to get another window assembly and hope that it is "tighter".

My dealer replaced the 1/4 windows in my 2000 Sierra for this conditon and the windows that came from the factory were both loose. They got new ones and set them with less adhesive and they were fine.

My 2002 had the driver side 1/4 window loose. Again the dealer replaced it but this time they reused the window with less adhesive.

Very common problem.

Yeah, get the dealer to repair the abuse to the paint. They will haunt you a couple years from now. It will rust and leak......

Give em hell!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone i am new, and your site is awsome.

Anyway i have a 99 silverado ext cat with that wind noise problem and i heard about this replacement part that they sell on eBay i just bought it and havent gotten it to put it in yet.

here is the link:

Link

I will post an update on how it works but from what i heard it is the best $37 sopme people have spent in a long time.

I am problems with my 2000 model and they replaced one of the windows and on the other they had some type of screw they added to tighten up the latch. Never had a problem with them after that.

• 1 month later...

Looks like they are still having probs with these windows. My 2005 GMC 1500 ext. cab has really bad windnoise on the passenger rear 1/4 window. They are replacing the whole window and frame assembly. Guess they get glued in wrong at the factory or something. The body shop manager said he sees quite a few of these and this is the only sure fire fix.

Archived