Heater hoses-disconnect?

Hi.

This morning (0415) my 99 Silverado made some unusual noises when I turned the heater on. A few minutes later, the Low Coolant light came on and I got it home just in time to (hopefully) keep it from overheating and damaging anything.

I opened the hood and noticed that the right (facing the engine compartment from the front) heater hose nipple (where the heater hose goes into the firewall) was broken off in the hose...which is obviously where all of my coolant went.

I removed the other heater hose from it's "nipple" to see what it looks like intact. The whole assembly looks like a funnel of sorts with the "nipple" facing front and the bigger end fitting over another, larger "nipple" or something.

My question is...how do I remove the (now) broken piece? It spins (like it uncrews) but doesn't seem to be coming off. (in fact...both of the "funnels" spin-right and left).

I need to get this thing fixed as soon as I can...it's my commuter "car" and I drive 100 mles round trip to work... :jester:

It may be like the AC connections on some cars. You have to get this special compression remover thing. They sell them at autozone for a couple of bucks. If you go to orielly, I hate autozone, they may be able to tell you exactly what you need.

I managed to get mine disconnected with a small flat head screwdriver one side first then the other. You need to lightly pry the outside away where it stops the inside from sliding out. Tough to exlpain but it worked. WHen I replaced all the hoses, I replaced the quick disconnect as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived