Photo
- - - - -

transmission whine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,407 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

I have an '06 Z71 crew cab 1500 series pickup with about 1700 miles on it. The engine is 5.3 liter, differential gear ratio is 3.73:1, and it has the autotrac type transfer case. I have noticed that at very low speeds (1-15 MPH) I hear faint but distinct whine that appears to be coming from the transmission or transfer case. This whine is in first gear and also in 2nd gear at very low speeds. (It is very similar to whine a power steering pump makes when low on fluid, except it is not as loud.) When I accelerate to higher speeds, this whine dispapears. Is this normal in these vehicles or something I should be concerned about? I checked the transmission fluid level when I bought the truck and it was fine.

Edited by pm26, 15 February 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#2 mmmikkke

mmmikkke

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,355 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

Check to see if this whine is happening while the trans is in park. Maybe it's coming from the power steering pump.

I had heard somewhere that GM was going to hydraulic-boost power brakes on the 1500's, and maybe this is what happened, and if so, maybe the pump's vibrations are radiating through the firewall because of the hydraulic brake booster.
2005 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4
6.0L 4L80E Dark Grey Metallic, Toyo Open Country 285's, Pioneer DEH-9400MP, Infinity Basslink, Cobra 18WXST, Whelen Mini-Edge Strobe, WeatherGuard Cross Box

#3 gave20

gave20

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,772 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

I have the same whine too while in park. It must be the hydro boost brakes causing it. It's more annoying than anything; the power steering fluid is fine and it doesn't whine when you turn the wheels just when you rev the engine.

sometimes I pick up butterflys and wipe the dust off their wings so they can't fly. Then I stick them to my shirt and pretend they are there because they like me.

Posted Image Posted Image
2004 GMC 2500LD ext cab SLT
Mods: denali door handles, running boards, amber DRLs, Wait4me Blackbear tune

#4 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,407 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

I do not have hydraulic power brake booster on my truck. It is a classic vacuum booster. The whining noise appears to be coming from the transmission, possibly from torque converter. The noise is most noticeable when I place the truck in Drive and accelerate slowly. The noise does not increase in frequency when I turn the wheels, which leads me to believe that the power steering pump is not causing it.

#5 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,407 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:04 PM

I am beginning to think that the noise is coming from my alternator. I hear the noise most distinctly at nigh with all lights on with the alternator fully charging. When it is not charging, the noise seems to disappear. I experienced it this morning. Anybody had a noisy alternator like this?

Edited by pm26, 17 February 2006 - 11:43 PM.

#6 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,407 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:44 PM

It did not whine this evening even with the alernator charging. I turned the A/C on and off - no difference. Could it be intermittent transmission whining noise after all? Is so, what could cause it?

#7 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

I have not got a satisfactory answer to this: is it the transmission or something else?

#8 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:53 AM

is it the transmission or something else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. :banghead:

Come on now. No one that is hundreds or thousands of miles away and unable to hear what you're hearing can tell you what it is.

It is obviously under warranty. If you think there's a problem, take it in and let 'em check it out. If they say it's normal and you're not buyin' it, ask to drive a similar vehicle and let them show you that they all do it. Keep in mind that not every vehicle is 100% identical to every other. Some may be quieter, some noisier based on build variations.

#9 NorCal Patriot

NorCal Patriot

Enthusiast

• 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

I asked the same question about a month or so ago and had a similar response. I have a 2006 1500HD Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.0 and 4l80 tranny.

The sound is hard to replicate as its intermittent and normally only happens after the truck has been sitting overnight or for a few hours. Mostly apparent when the truck is cold. The noise started on mine at about 2500-3000 miles. I have a little over 5000 now.

Im going to end up having a passenger videotape while im driving so the cam's microphone picks up the noise and I can document it for the dealership. I was happy to see that they noted my remarks when I had them look at it while it was there for an oil change.. their notes actually showed up on my online gm service record... showing nothing found :mad:

Id be happy for GM to just come out and acknowledge there is an issue/problem and either fix it or provide some sort of compensation. I paid for my truck in full on the spot and expect service and a warranty thats "professional grade"

There are plenty of GMC and Chevy owners out there that are experiencing the same thing. I think "its like that on all of the models or similar vehicles" is a cop out. :flag:

rant over :banghead:

Edited by NorCal Patriot, 24 February 2006 - 03:35 PM.

#10 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

I asked the same question about a month or so ago and had a similar response.  I have a 2006 1500HD Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.0 and 4l80 tranny. 

I didn't get the impression he had a 4L80E, though it wasn't really said. That's a totally different animal.

#11 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,407 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

I asked the same question about a month or so ago and had a similar response.  I have a 2006 1500HD Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.0 and 4l80 tranny. 

I didn't get the impression he had a 4L80E, though it wasn't really said. That's a totally different animal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a 4L60E transmission. The whine is not very loud and it does not happen all the time so it is not a big concern at this time, however, I would like to understand where it is coming from and why does it come and go.

I have pretty much eliminated the alternator and power steering pump now as the source of the noise. I have not taken it to a dealership because I already know what the answer will be.

Edited by pm26, 24 February 2006 - 06:40 PM.

#12 KB06YUKONXL

KB06YUKONXL

Enthusiast

• 140 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

I am adding to this old thread to see if there was an answer to the trans whine. I have a 2006 Yukonxl Denali AWD (4800 mi) that does the same thing. Do you know what this was that caused it? I am taking it in for service next week. Thanks KB

#13 icecoldtexan

icecoldtexan

Enthusiast

• 138 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

I have the 4L80E in my '02 2500HD. I had a whine in the transmission when in 1st gear. I only noticed it when in line at a mcdonalds when the noise bounced off the wall and my window was down. I noticed that when I placed it into 2nd gear it stopped, and started whining again if I put it into drive or 1st. I took it to the dealer when it was under warranty and they replaced the torque converter. It still has the whine in 1st. I think it's just part of the beast. My '05 work van does the same thing, must be the transmission pump. I have 119000 miles on my '01 and the transmission is as strong as ever.
Try yopurs in 2nd gear and see if it stops.
'01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L
Diablo Predator tuner (much better than wait4me)
Smith & Wesson in the console

#14 KB06YUKONXL

KB06YUKONXL

Enthusiast

• 140 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

It whines in second when it shifts by itself but I'll try it tomorrow manually. How do I tell if I have the 4L60 or 4L80?

#15 icecoldtexan

icecoldtexan

Enthusiast

• 138 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

It whines in second when it shifts by itself but I'll try it tomorrow manually. How do I tell if I have the 4L60 or 4L80?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can tell by my RPO codes in the glove box. The code MT1 means 4L80E transmission.
'01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L
Diablo Predator tuner (much better than wait4me)
Smith & Wesson in the console