14 Bolt gear sizes

To the gear gurus on site, how does one determine which diameter ring gear thier truck is equiped with? Is there a standard chart or do you have to look up numbers?

Mine is an '01 2500HD 4x4 with the Allison. I think I have the 10.5", is that correct and why? Is 11.5" only for 3500's or just dual rear wheel axles? Does the tranny (auto or manual) make any difference.

Thanks,

Vernon

So it's the engine that determines gear size. Well that helps me out. Linda (I know you're a man and that's not your name but I can't remember it), I'm pretty sure that the 10.5" can come with semi-float rear axles but most are full floating. At least that's the choices when using www.car-part.com to look for them on our trucks. That web site has always been very accurate in my experience.

Thanks,

Vernon

• 3 weeks later...
Vernon,

Your dealer is incorrect.  If you have the big block or diesel in your '01 2500HD, it has the AAM 1150 rear axle, which is a full-floater.

Bluenote is right.

If you have a Vortec 8100 or Duramax you have the 11.50" Ring Gear. And to clarify the 10.50" and 11.50" are only Full-Floaters. The 9.5" 14-Bolt is a semi-Floater.

The Difference between the 10.50" and 11.50" axles are night and day. The entire 10.50" axle is big, but the 11.50" is HUGE!! Drive to the local GM Dealer and take a look.

The 10.50" is avialable on the 2500HD/3500 w/Vortec 6000 Engine. To see a greater difference, find a 1500HD or 2500 (LD) or a 1500 w/VortecMAX and you will see the smaller 9.5" 14-Bolt SF Axle.

Ditto with what bluenote and vhato said,All the 6.0's I've seen have been 10.50" ring gear full-floaters and the 8.1 and DMAX's have been the 11.50" ring gear full-floaters.

Another way to tell real quick is to look for the axle-lube fill plug,On the 10.50" its on the RH front side of the housing,On the 11.50" its located right on the axle housing cover itself.

As stated above, my '05 2500HD 6.0L has the 10.5" full floater. Apparently it's also an AAM axle, the 1050. AAM was a "spin off" from GM a while back. So I think some people refer to AAM axles as "corporate" axles.

Here are the specs from AAM's web site:

Axle / Gear / Capacity

1050 10.5 4545 kg (10,000 lbs)

1150 11.5 4900 kg (10,900 lbs)

I'm glad you guys are here because I needed to know how much to bid on these (check Ebay item# 8039400574). You guys said they fit and were right. I talked to the seller for about thirty minutes the day of the sale and he told me a ton about an 8.1 powered monster truck 2500HD they built for a customer. They installed the 4.56 gears for him then started an engine prodject that went from a month to nine before all was said and done. When the engine and tranny were done and sorted out 4.88's were just out so the 4.56's got pulled with only 300 miles test and tune on them. Lucky me they were listed obscurely and none of you other 8.1 builders saw them. $100 is a bargain, and they look like new.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Now I just need to find out how to make the PCM know it's got 4.56's and work the Allison right.

Vernon

Yea,All the DRW's have the 11.50" ring-gear no matter what engine/trans.combo. you have.

My answer was focused on the 2500HD's only,I wasn't thinking about the 3500's being offered in either SRW or DRW.

Archived