Static shocks

jhm

I am getting tired of getting a good shock every time I get out of my truck. I know sliding over the seat then touching the door is the problem, but I wonder why I dont get a shock getting out of my wifes car, also with fabric seats. Anybody try something like Static Guard? They advertise it on TV for clothes.

Here's an interesting observation: While on travel a few weeks ago, we had a Chevy TrailBlazer with cloth seats. I got to noticing every time I got out of it, I would get nailed hard! One of those snaps that makes you look around to see if any ladies are around before you let loose with the profanity!

Anyhow, I noticed one day I wasn't getting shocked. Hmmmm... What's different? The only difference I could come up with was that I had different jeans on. Same jacket each time, and similar shirt. Just the jeans. Well, a couple days later, I had yet another different pair of jeans on and whammo, I got nailed again!

When I was getting shocked, I was wearing stone-washed Levis that had been washed several times. When not, it was with plain blue Levis that had also been washed several times, and probably with the other jeans. Now, I ain't saying it was the jeans, but it might have been the load of laundry they were in, like with a sweater or something. I even called my wife and asked her if she had quit using fabric softener for some reason. She said nothing had changed, but she also said sometimes she forgets to put in a sheet.

I would suggest the antistatic spray and spray down the seat cushion and back and let it dry overnight. That, or maybe try a different pair of jeans? :(

I got leather in my 2500HD, so it isn't a problem for me!

One way to stop it from happening is to go get a box of the cling free dryer sheets. I get the ones that are scent free. Just take one sheet and rub it over the seat and seat back, then just tuck it down between the seatback and seat. Took care of my static problems. :( If you want that extra scent then get the fuu fuu smelly ones. :cheers:

One way to stop it from happening is to go get a box of the cling free dryer sheets. I get the ones that are scent free.  Just take one sheet and rub it over the seat and seat back, then just tuck it down between the seatback and seat.  Took care of my static problems.  :(  If you want that extra scent then get the fuu fuu smelly ones.  :cheers:

I've used that as well as the spray-on static guard. Both worked just fine.

P.S. I've used static guard on my CRT TV, and it takes 3 times as long for the dust to build up on it.

It's a combination of cold weather, low humidity, and the type of clothes you're wearing. Mine only does it if there is a length of time with no snow or rain. If you notice in your house you'll also get shocked more often if you don't have a humidifier or something going in the winter. I get shocked quite often in the house if I don't have a pot of water sitting on the fireplace and the humidifiers running.

Archived