What truck to get for towing 8,000 lbs

Im looking to get a new truck and am looking for advice. The truck will be a daily driver so i dont want anything bigger then it needs to be. I will need to be able to tow a trailer with a bobcat on it. The trailer weighs about 2,200 lbs and the bobcat weighs about 5,800 lbs bringing the total to about 8,000 lbs. I would like a reg cab shortbox preferably a GM 92 or newer, but am wondering what would be the best truck to get. From the looks of things i will need a 2500 of some kind, but is there any way i could get away with a 1500? From what ive seen you cant get reg cab short box 2500's. Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

Im looking to get a new truck and am looking for advice.  The truck will be a daily driver so i dont want anything bigger then it needs to be.  I will need to be able to tow a trailer with a bobcat on it.  The trailer weighs about 2,200 lbs and the bobcat weighs about 5,800 lbs bringing the total to about 8,000 lbs.  I would like a reg cab shortbox preferably a GM 92 or newer, but am wondering what would be the best truck to get.  From the looks of things i will need a 2500 of some kind, but is there any way i could get away with a 1500?  From what ive seen you cant get reg cab short box 2500's.  Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

I had an '82 chevy pick-up 454, 4.56 tail gears turbo 400 automatic, used to tow 28000 lbs gvw. factory tc had to be replaced with hughes low stall unit, other than that these vehicles were reliable.

Ken

My neighbor tows a Bobcat on a trailer (about 8500 lbs) with his 1500 Z71 extended cab with 3.73 gears. He says that he has to take it easy with the truck, as it is not as good a tow truck as the 2500 crew he traded in on this one because of loud piston slap which he could not stand. His 1500 has already developed somewhat annoying driveline clunk.

I would definitely recommend a 2500 series truck for this, preferably with at least 4.10 gears. And if you go to construction sites, you'll probably need a 4WD too.

My neighbor tows a Bobcat on a trailer (about 8500 lbs) with his 1500 Z71 extended cab with 3.73 gears.  He says that he has to take it easy with the truck, as it is not as good a tow truck as the 2500 crew he traded in on this one because of loud piston slap which he could not stand.  His 1500 has already developed somewhat annoying driveline clunk.

I would definitely recommend a 2500 series truck for this, preferably with at least 4.10 gears.  And if you go to construction sites, you'll probably need a 4WD too.

An update:

Just talked to my neighbor several minutes ago because I saw a new F250 in his driveway. He traded in his 2004 Z71 on a new Ford F250 because the Z71's transmission disintegrated at 35,600 miles, just before his warranty expired. Apparently it could not handle the weight of the trailer and Bobcat on it. He towed it only locally and very conservatively. It turns out that his Bobcat is a large one and weighs about 8000 lbs by itself (10,000 lbs with the trailer). So it looks like he went over the towing capacity about 2000 lbs. However, this happened in Florida, where there are no hills at all. His truck was equipped with the factory tow package and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. This disappoints me. I thought Chevy trucks were tougher than this.

I would think of it like this, why get the truck that will be at its max towing capacity, of course it is rated there but not exactly designed to be used all the time there. Get a 2500 or 1500 HD, then you will be in the middle of the towing limits. It will definalty last longer towing that load. The 4l80 is just better at larger loads like that than the 4l60, in fact the Allison would be even better. That is prolly why your friends Z71's trans blew. With the 5.3 and 3.73 I can tow 7800 (I think that is what the manual says) but I would probably not go over 6000, and 5000 if I was towing the load all the time.

Just talked to my neighbor several minutes ago because I saw a new F250 in his driveway. He traded in his 2004 Z71 on a new Ford F250 because the Z71's transmission disintegrated at 35,600 miles, just before his warranty expired. Apparently it could not handle the weight of the trailer and Bobcat on it. He towed it only locally and very conservatively. It turns out that his Bobcat is a large one and weighs about 8000 lbs by itself (10,000 lbs with the trailer). So it looks like he went over the towing capacity about 2000 lbs. However, this happened in Florida, where there are no hills at all. His truck was equipped with the factory tow package and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. This disappoints me. I thought Chevy trucks were tougher than this

He was not towing in tow/haul mode that happens when you dont tow with tow haul mode on because the tranny will shift to overdrive and over heat and deteriorate. People have been towing 7k pounds with their 1500 where i live (at least 4 trailers around here and they are around 7k pounds) only 1 has had a problem when he was towing he forgot to turn on tow haul and his tranny toasted, my friend hauls 6-7k pounds here and there and he has 64k miles and its with a 4.8 and he plows with it too.

You are absolutely right - he did not use the tow mode. I just verified this. This makes me feel better. I always use the tow mode on mine except when towing something light like a jet ski.

:banghead::cool: Dude, 8000 is a big load, I personally wouldn't do it with ANY 1/2 ton pickup - Chevy, Ford or Dodge (piss on the imports). That is very much 3/4 ton "hd" territory. A 2500HD with a Duramax would be HAPPY to pull that for you! If diesel isn't your bag, a 6.0 gasser would do okay, the 8.1 would be great.

tad

Just curious: The 2500 4X4 Avalanche comes standard with a big block 8.1 V8. Does it have the same running gear as a 2500 HD pickup? (transmission, rear end, transfer case, etc.) What is the tow rating for that vehicle?

Can you get the Allison transmission in it, or does it come standard with one?

Avalanche 2500: 8.1 4L80E, no Allison, no ZF6

You might be able to find a used one. Even if might be a little tight on funds or don't want to buy new, still look at the pricing on the remaining 2006 Avalanche 2500's.

There are ext cab short box 2500's. Other's chime in, a 2500 with 6.0L will disappoint you compared with getting better if not the same towing mileage as the 8.1L not to mention the "giddy-up" factor especially on hills.

If you didn't mind a regular cab, the ideal rig for the monies would be 2500 long bed (about the same bumper to bumper length of the Av) with 8.1L and ZF6.

I don't know how rare they are, as I have only seen two so far, is a 2500 ext cab short box with Duramax and Allison. It's just that the Dura/Alli combo is a $8K plus option when new, but sure is a nice combo.

Just talked to my neighbor several minutes ago because I saw a new F250 in his driveway. He traded in his 2004 Z71 on a new Ford F250 because the Z71's transmission disintegrated at 35,600 miles, just before his warranty expired. Apparently it could not handle the weight of the trailer and Bobcat on it. He towed it only locally and very conservatively. It turns out that his Bobcat is a large one and weighs about 8000 lbs by itself (10,000 lbs with the trailer). So it looks like he went over the towing capacity about 2000 lbs. However, this happened in Florida, where there are no hills at all. His truck was equipped with the factory tow package and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. This disappoints me. I thought Chevy trucks were tougher than this.>>>>>

I do believe the weight was too much for the 1/2 ton truck. I'd save the towing for the 2500 and 3500. I also want to say that I too have been dissapointed in the unreliability of Chevy/GMC trucks. Everyone on here knows it by now and I'm going to do my best to keep my mouth shut but given the choices, Ford, Dodge, or Chevy, I'll still go with a Chevy, with Ford just barely behind them and moving up. I just don't know anymore. GM doesn't build their trucks and solid and dependable as they used to. I am VERY confident in that.

Gm still builds a good truck for a 8 year platfor look at ford they built the f150 some member at our forum got to 12 thousand miles and they had problems with the tranfer cases and ring and pinion. A member in CTW did some mods to his tranny (shift kit servo and bigger cooler) he tows 10k pounds ocasionally with a z71 :o he said he drives at least 50-60 miles with that trailer hooked up. The avalanche will be over kill i think at least they can tow 12k pounds easy too much money also. You can get a vortec max it tows 9900 in crew cab configuration and over 10k with extended cab.

Im looking to get a new truck and am looking for advice.  The truck will be a daily driver so i dont want anything bigger then it needs to be.  I will need to be able to tow a trailer with a bobcat on it.  The trailer weighs about 2,200 lbs and the bobcat weighs about 5,800 lbs bringing the total to about 8,000 lbs.  I would like a reg cab shortbox preferably a GM 92 or newer, but am wondering what would be the best truck to get.  From the looks of things i will need a 2500 of some kind, but is there any way i could get away with a 1500?  From what ive seen you cant get reg cab short box 2500's.  Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

There is only one truck I can think of that would do this easily....

Get yourself a 2500HD Duramax, with an Allison tranny.....will pull a trailer with no wheels on it.

Had one when we pulled our 2-horse slant with a dressing room and it felt like it had nothing behind us with 2 1200 pound quarter horse's , tack, hay, clothes etc...

:thumbs:

Archived