Cutting Headliner

GatorFan

I just picked up an overhead console (w/map lights) and I want to install it but am hesitant about cutting my headliner. Anyone got any info/instructions on how to cut the headliner?

Thanks for any help or info.

I just picked up an overhead console (w/map lights) and I want to install it but am hesitant about cutting my headliner. Anyone got any info/instructions on how to cut the headliner?

I have a 2000 but it's an extra cab - I replaced the smaller console with a full one that goes further back and has compartments for sunglasses, garagedoor opener, cds, etc - it's pretty easy - a couple of screws in front, hold up the console against the roof and outline the headliner around the console with a pencil or something light, and then cut (I used a very sharp box cutter) some small holes well inside the outline (it's always easy to cut more, but once you cut too much, it's too late). On mine, you want to cut back until you find the slot that the tab from the back of the console goes into. There's a post on this at fullsizechevy on someone else who has done this.

Good luck!

I have a 2000 but it's an extra cab - I replaced the smaller console with a full one that goes further back and has compartments for sunglasses, garagedoor opener, cds, etc - it's pretty easy - a couple of screws in front, hold up the console against the roof and outline the headliner around the console with a pencil or something light, and then cut (I used a very sharp box cutter) some small holes well inside the outline (it's always easy to cut more, but once you cut too much, it's too late). On mine, you want to cut back until you find the slot that the tab from the back of the console goes into. There's a post on this at fullsizechevy on someone else who has done this.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I have a buddy with a 2004 Silverado w/ the overhead console and we are going to use his headliner as a template. BTW, my truck didn't have the roof bracket but I was able to purchase one so we will be installing that at the same time. I am planning on taking some pics and posting it in here when we start on it.

Thanks for the help.

sounds neat, where could I find this large console you guys speak of?

Hey Scrapy,

Try your local junk yard for the console. The longer consoles came in the Yukon and Tahoe. I found the smaller console at a pick-n-pull for around $30.

If you already have a small overhead console in your truck, you have no worries concerning the installation. As for me, my truck never came with a console so I had to find the roof bracket as well. The bracket cost me around $16 at my local dealer. If you need a part # for the bracket, let me know.

Good luck

I just did this yesterday.

I put the smaller LONG overhead console in. It only has the two map reading lights up front. I tried to put the longer LONG console in, it is out of a S-Blazer and has the map reading lights, computer and dome light in it, but it was too long. I think it would have fit, but I had already put in a new rear dome light that has two map reading lights in it and cut the headliner. Since I cut the headliner for this new dome light, the longer console was too narrow to cover this mod.

Putting in the console was a breeze. I took down the stock very small console and mounted up the console with the front screw. Then I marked the tab location on the headliner. Once I dropped the console back down, I cut the slots. It was right where there is a bracket for the tabs to hook on.

I put my CD changer control up in the console and routed the wire up over the headliner and back down to the changer.

The whole install took about 25 minutes to do.

Real easy, looks like it should have always been there. Now I need to put something in the blank plate that a rear ac control goes. Looking at a small GPS, as I want to change out the whole radio for XM. Trying to talk the Chief of Staff into the new radio and GPS.

Got the console installed. Was pretty easy. The guys at my local dealer hooked me up with the needed retainers and I had my buddy do the cutting of the headliner (where I could blame him if he screwed it up). I will take a few pics when the sun comes out. If any of you guys out there need the part # for the bracket I had to add to my truck (to make the console work), let me know and I can add it in here.

Got the console installed. Was pretty easy. The guys at my local dealer hooked me up with the needed retainers and I had my buddy do the cutting of the headliner (where I could blame him if he screwed it up). I will take a few pics when the sun comes out. If any of you guys out there need the part # for the bracket I had to add to my truck (to make the console work), let me know and I can add it in here.

The part number for the bracket I had to use was GM # 15711473. The parts guy did not know the number for the retainer but I took a picture of the place in the front of my roof where the screw goes and he asked one of the GM body repairmen. Once that happened I was able to get the right retainer. Don't try to use license plate retainers (I tried more than one size and they were all too small). If you can find one approximately 1/2" in diameter that might work but you might have to drill out the console to accomodate for the size of the screw you would need to use.

Check out my Car Domain page to see the pics of the console...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2254522/2

Archived