Photo
- - - - -

Bad miss or hesitation in overdrive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Goldburb

Goldburb

Enthusiast

• 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

I have a 2000 Suburban 4X4 with the 5.3. When I'm going down the highway at 65 with the cruise set I noticed that as I go up a hill and the RPM's drop it feels like the engine developes a bad miss until it shifts out of overdrive.

I can also make it happen at lower speeds. As long as the truck is in OD I can give it some gas and at a certain point the miss or surge develops until the truck downshifts or I let off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 Rookie

Rookie

Enthusiast

• 461 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

sounds like the converter is not locking up. very common in older trucks not so much the newer ones. At least i havent heard of it yet. Just my .02
*****Rookie

98 Yukon 1500
5.7 Vortec HD Towing & Cooling
Powertrax in the Rear
Magnaflow Down-under
Hella 500 & Painless Hi-4 Conversion Up front
Mickey Thompson Classic II 16x 8
Riding on LT265/75-16's Geolander AT+II
Cranked T-Bars and 2.5 inch block in the rear
KNN Fipk Kit and Airaid spacer

#3 swilliams1005

swilliams1005

Enthusiast

• 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

Have you changed plugs and wires before,, had similar problem on my 95 gmc sierra 5.7 and i had cracked a plug all the areas your talking it would feel like it was missing.
Posted Image
2000 GMC Classic Sierra (OBS) K2500 4X4
7.4L 454 Vortec
Crew Cab with 4:10 gears
Mods
K&N Filter
High Flow Cats
UP FORSALE SOON!!!

#4 e.p.

e.p.

Enthusiast

• 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:21 AM

Hi;
I had the same problem with my 2000 4.8 Silverado. Changed the plugs and wires and all is well again.

#5 Goldburb

Goldburb

Enthusiast

• 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

I just changed plugs in the Fall so they should be good. I tried some Crane wires, but they turned out to be junk, so they went back to Summit and the original OEM wires went back on. The only other work I've had to do on the truck was a fuel pressure regulator swap.

The funny thing is, it only seemed to happen in Overdrive and when I load the throttle at low RPM.

I'm starting to suspect a fuel issue. I noticed tonight that when I rev the motor it stumbles off idle if I give it a little too much gas.

I dumped a can of Valvoline Synpower injector cleaner in tonight. I have about 400 miles of highway driving to do tomorrow, so it should get to do it's job.

Thanks!

Edited by Goldburb, 22 March 2006 - 09:59 PM.