Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob G.

High Capacity Air Cleaner

My truck came with the High Capacity Air Cleaner option that is part of the Towing Package. Does anyone know what the difference is between the "high capacity" filter and the "regular capacity" filter? And how does it compare to aftermarket air filtrations systems? Thanks.

My truck came with the High Capacity Air Cleaner option that is part of the Towing Package. Does anyone know what the difference is between the "high capacity" filter and the "regular capacity" filter? And how does it compare to aftermarket air filtrations systems? Thanks.

It's just a thicker filter that has more pleats to catch more dirt, good if you're off road alot I guess, my truck came with one too. I thought it was an intake with more performance or something, I got kind of ticked when I realized I paid an extra $25 for a thicker filter.

Jim

Y2K is correct.  It is just a larger filter.  I believe it is part of the towing package, and I think it is part of the Z71 package too, otherwise it is a $25 option.

I doubt it adds any performance to your truck and it is more likely to rob a little because it would restrict the intake air flow more.

The heavy duty air cleaner is part of the Z-71 package

or more commonly referred to in order to confuse the consumer as off-road Chassis Equip Package.

This package includes:

. Skid Plates

. High Capacity Air Cleaner

. Gas Shocks

All the best!

autotech.gif

3dflag.gif

The part #'s are only off by 1...ones something 18...and the other is 19.  Not sure what type of price difference there is.  I've had both in my 99 and can't really say either was different performance-wise.  I'm in Ohio, so there's no real dust issue.

Just an FYI/Opinion:  My 2001 came with the heavy-duty filter.  At about 5000 miles, I removed it in favor of a K&N drop-in filter which in theory allows better air flow than stock filters.  The reason I did this was that I hoped it would help my towing mileage a little bit.  Believe it or not, I think it did improve my mpg a small amount-less than 0.5 mpg.  There was definitely no perciveable power increase that I can see.

Now, after using the K&N for almost 15,000 miles, I am considering putting the old filter back in due to all the bad stories I'm hearing about the K&Ns allowing too much dirt into the engine?   :D  What to do?  You hear good stuff-you hear bad stuff....

I too think that the k-n's allow more dirt to your motor, if it allows more air, it has to allow more dirt, right? If you allow more power, you'll use more gas. I had a k-n in a 97 diesel ford and I really feel it did take away some power. I will not spend any more money on these filters.

• Popular Now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.