Photo
- - - - -

High Capacity Air Cleaner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob G.

Bob G.

Enthusiast

• 151 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:18 PM

My truck came with the High Capacity Air Cleaner option that is part of the Towing Package. Does anyone know what the difference is between the "high capacity" filter and the "regular capacity" filter? And how does it compare to aftermarket air filtrations systems? Thanks.

#2 Y2K Silverado

Y2K Silverado

Enthusiast

• 122 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:58 PM

My truck came with the High Capacity Air Cleaner option that is part of the Towing Package. Does anyone know what the difference is between the "high capacity" filter and the "regular capacity" filter? And how does it compare to aftermarket air filtrations systems? Thanks.

It's just a thicker filter that has more pleats to catch more dirt, good if you're off road alot I guess, my truck came with one too. I thought it was an intake with more performance or something, I got kind of ticked when I realized I paid an extra $25 for a thicker filter.
Jim
00 Carmine Red Metallic ext cab Silverado
5.3L, auto trans & 3.73 gears, Gibson headers, Dynomax exhaust, Ported oem airbox, K&N filter, Volant intake tube, Predator, NGK tr55's, ASP pulleys, Yank 2400 TC, LT1 fans & 180* stat , Front clear corners, Street Scene grill, Escalade rims w/ 275/60R17 tires, 2" Bell Tech lowering shackles in rear.
Best 1/4 ever: 14.76 @ 92.23 mph with a 2.09 60'

#3 Shaners

Shaners

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 04:19 AM

Y2K is correct.  It is just a larger filter.  I believe it is part of the towing package, and I think it is part of the Z71 package too, otherwise it is a $25 option.

I doubt it adds any performance to your truck and it is more likely to rob a little because it would restrict the intake air flow more.

2013 Avalanche LTZ. White Diamond Tricoat paint w/Ebony leather. (mine)  In person tune by Justin from BlackBear Performance

2005 BMW 645Ci convertible w/only 21k miles

2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid (hers)

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

#4 ClipperSkipper

ClipperSkipper

Enthusiast

• 329 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 05:58 PM

The heavy duty air cleaner is part of the Z-71 package
or more commonly referred to in order to confuse the consumer as off-road Chassis Equip Package.
This package includes:
. Skid Plates
. High Capacity Air Cleaner
. Gas Shocks

All the best!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 99silveradoz71

99silveradoz71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 10,928 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 07:22 PM

The part #'s are only off by 1...ones something 18...and the other is 19.  Not sure what type of price difference there is.  I've had both in my 99 and can't really say either was different performance-wise.  I'm in Ohio, so there's no real dust issue.
Posted Image
2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 3.73 Blue Granite

#6 HillHound

HillHound

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,472 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 07:50 PM

Just an FYI/Opinion:  My 2001 came with the heavy-duty filter.  At about 5000 miles, I removed it in favor of a K&N drop-in filter which in theory allows better air flow than stock filters.  The reason I did this was that I hoped it would help my towing mileage a little bit.  Believe it or not, I think it did improve my mpg a small amount-less than 0.5 mpg.  There was definitely no perciveable power increase that I can see.

Now, after using the K&N for almost 15,000 miles, I am considering putting the old filter back in due to all the bad stories I'm hearing about the K&Ns allowing too much dirt into the engine?   :D  What to do?  You hear good stuff-you hear bad stuff....
Photo of:2003 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab 4wd 6.8L Triton V10
Photo of:2005 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4wd 5.4L Triton V8
Photo of:2002 Honda Rancher S 4wd 350cc
Photo of:2003 Honda Foreman S 2wd/4wd 450cc
Photo of:2005 John Deere 3320 4wd 1.6L I3 diesel

#7 jd hauler

jd hauler

Enthusiast

• 90 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 07:21 AM

I too think that the k-n's allow more dirt to your motor, if it allows more air, it has to allow more dirt, right? If you allow more power, you'll use more gas. I had a k-n in a 97 diesel ford and I really feel it did take away some power. I will not spend any more money on these filters.