Does this door chime have to be this loud?

Eric03

Question

I have an '03 Suburban, and love everything about it except for one thing. (Well besidse the gas mileage) The problem I have with it is the warning chime.

My door chime is unusually loud and annoying, and goes off at everything. It goes crazy when the you turn the key to the acc position w/o a seatbelt, when you open the door, when you turn on the headlights w/o the key, etc. Now I know this is unusual because I have several friends with different year Tahoes, Yukon, and a Denali. They have commented how fast and loud my warning chimes are.

I am not a clueless soccer mom who needs to be yelled at by my car so I don't forget something!

At this point, I would do anything to completely get rid of all warning alarms in my truck. I've been told that replacing the stock stereo w/ aftermarket would eliminate the alarm. But I'm not sure if it's actually possible.

GM technicians... I know you hate to hear someone wanting to remove all warning chimes. (At least the local guys gave me the legal issue concerns along with ZERO help.) But I can't stand this anymore. Is there at least a way to at least change the pitch, volume or frequency of these alarms?

Please help! Thanks in advance!!!

Too loud? How about 'why the hell do I want the chime anyway?'

I sit in the car and put the key in, like you do, to "start the engine"... "BONG...BONG...BONG... YOU HAVE PLACED A KEY IN THE IGNITION OF YOUR CAR, BONG... BONG... BONG..."

Yes, I know, I am trying to start it...

I turn the key... BONG,BONG,BONG,BONG,BONG,BONG YOU ARE SITTING IN A CAR WITHOUT YOUR SEATBELT ON BONG,BONG,BONG...

Yes, I know, I am not moving yet...

Later I stop and wait for my girlfriend to go into a store, I think I will listen to the radio...

"Ro-xanne, BONG, BONG, you don't have to BONG BONG put on the re-d light BONG BONG you don't have to seeeee BONG BONG eellll your body to the Nig- BONG BONG -t, Ro-xanne...."

I think I will just turn it off and sit in silence.

Seriously, GMC, if you read this STOP TREATING ME AND EVERYONE ELSE LIKE A RETARD. I wear my belt, I know where my key is at all times and I am clever enough not to leave my headlights on... except for the fact that I actually cannot turn them off because of another useful Canadian mod that you have made. Now I live in the US the armed guard at the control point where I work thanks you for that particular piece of genius as I burn his retinas out every time I am on nights.

Bottom line is, read the post above from a few years ago and follow the pictures about cutting the wire. Then, instead of cutting anything actually take off the silver plate that guards the steering column, unplug all 3 of the connectors on that flat black box, pull it out, open it, remove the chime entirely by use of a $20 soldering iron, reassemble. 20 minutes; quiet as a mouse. My car is now a mute. Hooray!

Reeeelaaax.

I love the rest of my Yukon. Anyone wanna help me kill the auto-lights system?

Rant over :)

Boycie

Where is the post with the pictures on disconnecting the chimes off?????

I seriously flip out whenever that damned thing starts dinging. SO FRIGGIN LOUD!!! Drives me absolutely insane. Good thing is, I just pull the key 1/2 way out and stick it back in, and it stops ... for a while, anyway.

If there's a simple, and FREE cure for it, I'm all ears.

When listening to the radio with the doors open, you have to flip the door latch manually so the door thinks it's shut - then all that annoyance stops. Just have to remember to pull the handle before you slam the door ...

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

I seriously flip out whenever that damned thing starts dinging. SO FRIGGIN LOUD!!! Drives me absolutely insane. Good thing is, I just pull the key 1/2 way out and stick it back in, and it stops ... for a while, anyway.

If there's a simple, and FREE cure for it, I'm all ears.

When listening to the radio with the doors open, you have to flip the door latch manually so the door thinks it's shut - then all that annoyance stops. Just have to remember to pull the handle before you slam the door ...

Jsdirt, like your location quote. I live in Acton, MA - home of the colonialists but now home to PC freaks...

• Like 1

We have come a long way since Bunker Hill and Breed's hill battles in 1775. Can just imagine the patriots of that time turning over in their graves over what we allow from government these days.

• Like 1

I had the same issue and the annoying chime comes through the speakers and if you have a rear entertainment tv and a center console that powers the rear tv all you have to do is turn the power on for the rear radio and the chime disables but you will have to do this procedure each time you start the suv but it works