Photo
- - - - -

Why so few trucks with sunroofs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 smujd

smujd

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Why do so few dealers stock trucks with sunroofs? I test drove a truck identical to the one I ordered except that it didn't have a sunroof. The dealer didn't have a truck with a sunroof and the options I wanted and couldn't find one anywhere in the US. Apparently the day I ordered my truck (with a sunroof), another guy stopped by the dealership looking for a truck with a sunroof.

It seems to be a fairly popular feature--why do so few dealers stock them? :D

Bill

#2 ZZebes

ZZebes

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,013 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

most people don't want a sunroof in a pickup
2006 GMC Sierra
Posted Image
Currently under the knife for a 370, 4l80e and turbo kit
384 RWHP/389 RWTQ

#3 smujd

smujd

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

most people don't want a sunroof in a pickup

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That certainly appears to be the case. Does anybody know (or will speculate) why?

Bill

#4 dewfpo

dewfpo

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,774 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

It weakens the stiffness of the cab. GM doesn't want you plowing with a truck equipped with a sun roof. They explicitly state that.

Plus, it costs about $1,250 more. I can put a lot of fun stuff on my rig for $1,250.

We own 3 cars that have sun roofs, and they are closed 99.9% of the time. When open they are too noisy, you can't hear the back seat passengers talk, at certain speeds you get annoying air buffeting, and around here, it lets in too much dust and the sun cooks the inside of the car. The only reason it's on those 3 cars is because we had no choice when be bought them. We explicitly did not want to pay the extra money for the sunroofs but the cars did not come without them. We would have had to special order them. Go figure.

Besides.......it's a truck, not a car or an SUV.

Just my 1 cent.

DEWFPO

Edited by dewfpo, 20 April 2006 - 12:58 PM.

2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#5 921500Z71

921500Z71

Enthusiast

• 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:03 PM

I thought the sunroof was for the tall people (like me) to stick their heads out of? At least that has been the case for me with the vehicles we have that have sunroofs :D . On a more serious note dewfpo is exactly right about weakining the cab. GM probably only makes the trucks with a sunroof when ordered to do so.
2004 GMC 2500HD DMax: 22,4xx and counting (Stock for a couple weeks, stupid truck payments)
1992 Chevy 1500 Z71: 227,xxx and counting
1971 Chevy Cheyenne: 170,xxx and counting

#6 Daubs

Daubs

Enthusiast

• 535 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

For one, they are prone to leak. And when we purchased my wife's 03 Burban and ordered my 04 CC, you couldn't get the sunroof with the DVD player. And with daughters 7 & 5, you can bet I'm going for the DVD player!
2004 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 8.1/Allison
2007 Yukon XL Denali (Wife's ride)
1972 K-20 4x4 350/4 spd.

#7 sstimothy

sstimothy

Enthusiast

• 826 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:40 PM

It weakens the stiffness of the cab.  GM doesn't want you plowing with a truck equipped with a sun roof. They explicitly state that.

Plus, it costs about $1,250 more.  I can put a lot of fun stuff on my rig for $1,250.

We own 3 cars that have sun roofs, and they are closed 99.9% of the time. When open they are too noisy, you can't hear the back seat passengers talk, at certain speeds you get annoying air buffeting, and around here, it lets in too much dust and the sun cooks the inside of the car. The only reason it's on those 3 cars is because we had no choice when be bought them.  We explicitly did not want to pay the extra money for the sunroofs but the cars did not come without them.  We would have had to special order them. Go figure.

Besides.......it's a truck, not a car or an SUV.

Just my 1 cent.

DEWFPO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. Our car has a sunroof and it was a novelty for about 1 day. Now it just stays shut because the kids are watching the DVD in the back seat and the sun is in their eyes. DEWFPO is right. For that much money I could by EDGE JUICE W/ATTITUDE and a bedliner and put a good down payment on a pipe from BIG ROLLING POWER.

2015GMC2.jpg
2015' GMC Crew Cab, SLT, Dmax/Allison, 4X4
Onyx Black w/Cocoa Dune
G80, skid plate package, driver alert package, DVD/BluRay, camper mirrors, 5th wheel wiring, winter covers, too many option to name on one page, etc...etc...

#8 Haulin' 8.1

Haulin' 8.1

Enthusiast

• 670 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

I dug this out of an older post, no offence meant. If you like them then you'll like them.

Sunroofs are now availiable in the trucks and some seem to think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. To me these are a PITA, a definate waste of time and money. I've had several vehicles over the years with sun roofs, T-tops, convertables, and just plain old hard tops. Of all the choices the sunroof is the worst one.
Convertables are the next best thing to a motorcycle for open air motoring pleasure and worth the noise and maintainence associated with it's presence.
T-tops are rugged and offer a large reduction in roof on the occasions when that is preferred with the lowest maintainence and problems (at least on the newer stuff).
Sunroofs offer very little in open air pleasure with all of the drawbacks. They all produce higher interior temperatures on sunny days. A/Cs aren't what they used to be. They generate more wind noise in the cabin that increases with speed. They all eventually jam up and stick, usually at the worst possible time like when it's raining and you're dressed up. The repairs must be preformed by a professional and it's costly and time consuming.
Hard tops are just that solid metal, and since this will be a truck I can't think of anything better than that for a roof over my head. Like I'm driving around looking straight up and seeing anything when I do.

Vernon
2001 Siverado HD 2500 SBCC in Black
GM Vortec 8100, Allison, 3.73, 4X4
Mods: Goodmark SS cowl hood, Ranch Hand bumpers, black toolbox, custom bed cover, full tint, Volant with home made ram air, BBK 80mm TB, Granetelli MAF, Marine Injectors, Hypertech, Champion RS12YC plugs, Magnaflow 3" dual in X-path dual out muffler and tail pipes, Fuzion XTi 265's, Velvet Rides, Pioneer 10" subs, amps, you know the usual stuff.
Coming soon: 4.56 gears, Autorotor supercharger by Whipple with Duramax intercooler, and GM HP3 cylinder heads.
If you've modded your 8.1's timing and run hard try Champion RS12YC plugs gapped at 0.055". Less knock, more power. Yes you have to change them more often (25K), but this is a performance mod. Besides they're cheap and easy to do.

Yea though I drive the the valley of the shadow of Diesel,
I will fear no turbo;
For your horsepower art with me;
Your bore and stroke, they comfort me.

#9 smujd

smujd

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised so many people don't like sunroofs--I probably have mine open 80% of the time I'm driving. Also, it seems to facilitate cigar smoke removal from the vehicle. :D

Bill

#10 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,924 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

I wanted a sunroof but they were not available in the pickups until '05. :( :shakehead: :wtf:

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#11 jeffster

jeffster

Enthusiast

• 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

I guess I am in the minority in this one. I have an 06 LBZ I just bought a couple weeks ago, and it had the sunroof (LT3 package with sunroof and RSE DVD). When the kids are in the truck, they are usually watching a DVD and the sunroof is closed. However, when I am driving by myself, which is most of the time, I have the sunroof open. I just prefer it. Now, would I have ordered the truck with a sunroof? Probably not. But, now that I have it, I am finding that I like it a lot. :shakehead:

Of course, maybe in a year I'll hate it. I won't admit it though. :wtf:

Cheers!
-Jeff

#12 pknowles

pknowles

Enthusiast

• 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

Does the sunroof have the ability to just raise the back portion of the roof or does it only side front to back? In my wifes Civic I tilt the back of the roof up so you get some airflow through the car.
Phil K.
01 1500HD crew cab 4x4 6.0L 4L80E

#13 jeffster

jeffster

Enthusiast

• 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

Yes you can just raise the rear of it. In fact, it is fairly sunny today, so I just popped open the rear of it to let the heat out. It can be kinda noisy with it all the way open at highway speeds, so just lifting the rear is a nice compromise.

hope this helps,
-Jeff