Cost of Crank Sensor Replacement

I just took my 2001 2500 HD 8.1 Allison into the dealer to get my crank sensor replaced. I have seen the cost for this as being about $200-$250. It appears that this is going to cost me nearly $400. Does this sound a little high? I know they are charging to hook it up to the diagnostic machine and this price still doesn't include the tax. I thought that the dealer had set costs for specific work like this. I was just a little concerned about this price. Anyone have an idea on the cost of this service at the dealership?

Thanks

Dang that's twice as much as I would have charged you and I'd have done a relearn afterwards. The dealers around here don't know how I clean up rough idles on new trucks so I doubt many do crankshaft relearns very often.

Vernon

Dang that's twice as much as I would have charged you and I'd have done a relearn afterwards.  The dealers around here don't know how I clean up rough idles on new trucks so I doubt many do crankshaft relearns very often.

Vernon

Haulin,

I know you've posted the How To on this subject, but I have not found it on this site! Can you Repost? Please?

I'm sure lots of us would appreciate it!

Early 8.1's had the crank sensor at the rear of the block. Difficult to get at it. I think the trick is to unbolt the transmission mount, and jack up the transmission up until you have enough clearance between the firewall and back of the engine to get it out.

Dang that's twice as much as I would have charged you and I'd have done a relearn afterwards.  The dealers around here don't know how I clean up rough idles on new trucks so I doubt many do crankshaft relearns very often.

Vernon

Haulin'--

You live in TX and I live in ND, not too cost effective to have you do the work for me, right?

As far as the relearn, I had no problems with the way my truck ran after the repair was done. :D

Guys, It's time for me to thank you. I replaced my Crank Shift Sensor, just as you suggested. The Truck runs perfectly. The replacement was pretty easy. It took about 45 mins to remove the sensor and about 20 to replace it.

Just an FYI for you guys looking to replace yours... I bought it online for $59.00(AC Delco). It is located just behind the Driver's side head. I used a shortly wrench, and came in from the top side of the motor. You can see it and get to it from the bottom side, but I found it easier from the top. As for removing the sensors from the block. I tried to pull it out with my hands, but had no luck. I rapped a small rope around the base of the sensor. This made it very easy to pull the sensor out.

Archived