Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 aeroweapons

aeroweapons

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi all,
Anyone have directions on changing a fuel filter on a 2003 chevy tahoe? Thanks in advance
S

#2 Ape0r

Ape0r

Enthusiast

• 466 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hi all,
Anyone have directions on changing a fuel filter on a 2003 chevy tahoe?  Thanks in advance
S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Crawl under 'hoe, follow fuel lines until you find the filter.
2. Remove filter.
3. Install new filter.
4. Walk around your house until your wife starts yelling at you for stinking like gas :cheers:
'04 Silv. 4x4 5.3 LB
Posted Image

#3 gave20

gave20

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,772 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

I thought the fuel filter is IN the gas tank on the newer models.

sometimes I pick up butterflys and wipe the dust off their wings so they can't fly. Then I stick them to my shirt and pretend they are there because they like me.

Posted Image Posted Image
2004 GMC 2500LD ext cab SLT
Mods: denali door handles, running boards, amber DRLs, Wait4me Blackbear tune

#4 Ape0r

Ape0r

Enthusiast

• 466 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

I thought the fuel filter is IN the gas tank on the newer models.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that was implemented in '04. Could be off a year though.
'04 Silv. 4x4 5.3 LB
Posted Image

#5 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

My '02 Yukon XL has the FF in the line just inside the frame rail under the driver's door. Mine is threaded on one end and has a quick release on the other. You will need a special tool to release the quick release end. It is not all that hard but the small plastic clip that you are releasing is common to break. If you plan to attempt this at home, when you buy the tool, tell the Counterman at the parts store you want the retaining clip also. It will likely come in a pack of 3 or 4.

If you do not release the pressure on the fuel line, you will get a stream of gas when you first loosen the nut. The tool will slide into the end with the QR and slide up inside the line. It will release the plastic retainer clip and the line will slide off the filter.

I hear a lot of Techs talkig about doing this job in the shop after someone has attempted it at home. You may want to go spend th money to let a Tech do it if you are not comfortable with it.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#6 ScottieBoy

ScottieBoy

Enthusiast

• 908 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

I just changed the fuel filter on my 01 suburban yesterday. Its on the frame rail under the drivers door. But not like the 02 you just described. Both ends have threded fittings two open end wrenches is all it took to undo it. But to releive the pressure, unplug the fuel pump relay(under the hood) while the engine is running. The engine will continue to run for about 9 or 10 seconds until the line is depressurized. Then undo the fuel filter. It will still leak out gas, but not nearly as bad. I put an oil drain pan under it and it only leaked out about enough fuel to fill the filter itself.
Posted Image
2001 Chevy Suburban, 04 Denali leather seats, Autopage RS860 2-way alarm/remote starter,
20% Window tint, 6000k HID lowbeams, 6000k fogs, 06 Suburban LTZ Air Dam and fogs, Blue LED AC panel and interior switches,
polished T-Rex billet grille, Stainless Steel step bars , Corvette servo, Blackbear Tune, 09 GMC Sierra 17's, Ebay clear corners, Rolling so hard that hoes get pregnant when I drive by.

#7 99silveradoz71

99silveradoz71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 10,782 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

I'd suggest the use of flare nut wrenches to avoid stripping the fittings too.
Posted Image
2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 3.73 Blue Granite

#8 jake1530

jake1530

Enthusiast

• 233 posts
  • Name:Jim Leahy
  • Drives:2005 GMC Sierra

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:18 AM

I would pay head to HATEKATRINA regarding relieving the pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter. I learned the hard way replacing the one on my 94 Grand Cherokee without running the motor till out of fuel. Good advice Hatekatrina.
When the wolf arrives at your door..... Pull him in and eat him!

#9 03blackburb

03blackburb

Enthusiast

• 167 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like your tahoe is a flex fuel with the filter threaded on one end and a quick release on the other.
You can do it without the special GM tool by following these steps:
Unscrew the threaded end of the filter to the fuel line.
Unscrew the clamp holding the filter to the frame rail.
Disconnect the short piece of flex fuel line from the filter to the fuel block in front of the cross member. No tool require as this has the straddle clip that you can jut pry of and disconnect the line.
Slide the filter and short piece of fule line out.
Take this assembly over to the bench and use a hack saw and cut the quick release nipple (with the line attached) off of the filter.
Use a standard QD tool and remove the nipple from the line.
Install in reverse order.

#10 Chris-AFD256

Chris-AFD256

Enthusiast

• 261 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

I just changed the fuel filter on my 01 suburban yesterday. Its on the frame rail under the drivers door. But not like the 02 you just described. Both ends have threded fittings two open end wrenches is all it took to undo it. But to releive the pressure, unplug the fuel pump relay(under the hood) while the engine is running. The engine will continue to run for about 9 or 10 seconds until the line is depressurized. Then undo the fuel filter. It will still leak out gas, but not nearly as bad. I put an oil drain pan under it and it only leaked out about enough fuel to fill the filter itself.

I know this is an old thread but................Is that an okay way to relieve pressure to the fuel system? Will it do any damage to the engine? I know there is a valve under the hood to do the samething with a special tool.

#11 Chris-AFD256

Chris-AFD256

Enthusiast

• 261 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Anybody?

#12 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 17,972 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

I have changed mine 3 times and each time I just open the gas cap to relieve pressure. Havent had any problems worked fine. Wear some glasses because some gas will leak out.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg