Fuel Filter

aeroweapons

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

Anyone have directions on changing a fuel filter on a 2003 chevy tahoe?  Thanks in advance

S

1. Crawl under 'hoe, follow fuel lines until you find the filter.

2. Remove filter.

3. Install new filter.

4. Walk around your house until your wife starts yelling at you for stinking like gas :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

My '02 Yukon XL has the FF in the line just inside the frame rail under the driver's door. Mine is threaded on one end and has a quick release on the other. You will need a special tool to release the quick release end. It is not all that hard but the small plastic clip that you are releasing is common to break. If you plan to attempt this at home, when you buy the tool, tell the Counterman at the parts store you want the retaining clip also. It will likely come in a pack of 3 or 4.

If you do not release the pressure on the fuel line, you will get a stream of gas when you first loosen the nut. The tool will slide into the end with the QR and slide up inside the line. It will release the plastic retainer clip and the line will slide off the filter.

I hear a lot of Techs talkig about doing this job in the shop after someone has attempted it at home. You may want to go spend th money to let a Tech do it if you are not comfortable with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed the fuel filter on my 01 suburban yesterday. Its on the frame rail under the drivers door. But not like the 02 you just described. Both ends have threded fittings two open end wrenches is all it took to undo it. But to releive the pressure, unplug the fuel pump relay(under the hood) while the engine is running. The engine will continue to run for about 9 or 10 seconds until the line is depressurized. Then undo the fuel filter. It will still leak out gas, but not nearly as bad. I put an oil drain pan under it and it only leaked out about enough fuel to fill the filter itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I would pay head to HATEKATRINA regarding relieving the pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter. I learned the hard way replacing the one on my 94 Grand Cherokee without running the motor till out of fuel. Good advice Hatekatrina.

Sounds like your tahoe is a flex fuel with the filter threaded on one end and a quick release on the other.

You can do it without the special GM tool by following these steps:

Unscrew the threaded end of the filter to the fuel line.

Unscrew the clamp holding the filter to the frame rail.

Disconnect the short piece of flex fuel line from the filter to the fuel block in front of the cross member. No tool require as this has the straddle clip that you can jut pry of and disconnect the line.

Slide the filter and short piece of fule line out.

Take this assembly over to the bench and use a hack saw and cut the quick release nipple (with the line attached) off of the filter.

Use a standard QD tool and remove the nipple from the line.

Install in reverse order.

• 10 months later...
I just changed the fuel filter on my 01 suburban yesterday. Its on the frame rail under the drivers door. But not like the 02 you just described. Both ends have threded fittings two open end wrenches is all it took to undo it. But to releive the pressure, unplug the fuel pump relay(under the hood) while the engine is running. The engine will continue to run for about 9 or 10 seconds until the line is depressurized. Then undo the fuel filter. It will still leak out gas, but not nearly as bad. I put an oil drain pan under it and it only leaked out about enough fuel to fill the filter itself.

I know this is an old thread but................Is that an okay way to relieve pressure to the fuel system? Will it do any damage to the engine? I know there is a valve under the hood to do the samething with a special tool.

I have changed mine 3 times and each time I just open the gas cap to relieve pressure. Havent had any problems worked fine. Wear some glasses because some gas will leak out.

Archived