i have a 2000 z71 and i have tried a number of remedies. a loud rattle that can be heard inside the cab comes from the rear of my truck whenever i hit a bump. i have taken down the spare tire, romoved my bed cover, and removed the tailgate but the noise is still there. aside from paying a small neighborhood kid to ride under the truck for me and listen, i dont know how i can make the truck rattle sitting in the driveway.

i have read posts about a nickel plated slip yolk replacement but i am pretty sure that is not the case. i am familiar with that clunking sound and i have had my driveline lubed before to eliminate the noise.

any suggestions?

oy yeah...i have checked all mounting hardware, it is not the bed falling off of my frame. :tear:

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i have a 2000 z71 and i have tried a number of remedies. a loud rattle that can be heard inside the cab comes from the rear of my truck whenever i hit a bump. i have taken down the spare tire, romoved my bed cover, and removed the tailgate but the noise is still there. aside from paying a small neighborhood kid to ride under the truck for me and listen, i dont know how i can make the truck rattle sitting in the driveway.

i have read posts about a nickel plated slip yolk replacement but i am pretty sure that is not the case. i am familiar with that clunking sound and i have had my driveline lubed before to eliminate the noise.

any suggestions?

oy yeah...i have checked all mounting hardware, it is not the bed falling off of my frame.    :)

thanks

I had the same clunk in my '97 Z71 and now in my '01 2500HD. My clunk is the little round rubber bumper that attaches to the bottom leaf spring. It has been chewed up and is no longer there. The leaf springs clunk when they hit each other. I had the ones in my Z71 replaced under warranty but it only took a few months for them to get chewed up again. Must be some type of sliding movement when the leaf springs hit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Leaf springs rattling maybe?  Maybe of the muffler/tailpipe supports are broken?

I could be the shocks to as I have had that happen to me.

I had a buddy ride in the bed of my truck because the noise was really annoying. He said it appeared to be coming from the rear shock area (driver's side). When we got back I checked the shock and the rubber bushing on the lower part of the shock was basically worthless. The noise I kept hearing was due (hopefully) to the shock but I haven't replaced it yet. I need to go back to the 4WD drive shop I bought them at and have it replaced. If that fixes it, I'll post it. If not, I might have to pay my bud to ride under the truck to check (neighborhood kids want too much) :cheers:

• 3 years later...

any suggestions?

oy yeah...i have checked all mounting hardware, it is not the bed falling off of my frame. :thumbs:

thanks

Z71jobert,

I have a 2003 GMC sierra Z71 and I have been having a similar issue. The first thing that I would make sure is that you don't feel the rattling in the steering wheel because this would tell you that there is an issue with the drive shaft which i'm sure you probably know... With mine this is not the case. i have narrowed it down slightly however, when it made the rattling noise i pushed the emergency parking break down slightly and the noise stopped instantly. So with the help of a greaser buddy of mine we pulled apart the rear end and noticed that there was a gasket that was leaking break fluid onto the wheel hub (as you can probably tell by the way that I'm talking my buddy is more of the expert and the one that recognized the issue and knows more detail) so we replaced the gasket and the fluids, this stopped the noise for about a week. Then it came back, now i was told that i can check to make sure the brake is adjusted properly to the hub because it apparently can be lose which could possibly cause the rattle. I'm going to do that this weekend and i'll let you know if that takes care of it as well as more details on what exactly I did, but im also looking for other suggestions as well. its driving me nuts and im sick of people telling me the muffler mounts are loose, thats the first place i checked. Hopefully we can struggle through this together and figure it out.

Beau

• 2 years later...

Check the e-brake shoes. I bet this is your problem. They get worn and start to rattle against the rotor. Very common with chevy/ gmc trucks.

Also, This may tell you if its the shoes or not- this dosen't always work but it does most of the time, Put the e- brake on, just a little, enough to stop the truck from rolling on a slight incline, Now drive it like that over the same bumps or pot holes that made your truck make the sound. If the sound is gone, then this is, 99% of the time, your problem, change the shoes, it's cheap and easy.

Archived