Slide in campers or trailer

Hey guys, I just bought a 2500 HD crewcab longbed with a 6.0L and 4.10 as my F150 expired on me. I was wondering if I should get a slide in (so that i can tow my boat) or a trailer camper. Have any of you all have slide in campers and what brands do you all have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I just bought a 2500 HD crewcab longbed with a 6.0L and 4.10 as my F150 expired on me.  I was wondering if I should get a slide in (so that i can tow my boat) or a trailer camper.  Have any of you all have slide in campers and what brands do you all have?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mannymach1, I tow a camper and have been to many of camp grounds. The truck campers I see look so unstable. I remember my last trip out watching this Dodge 2500 with a slide in bed camper and it was bobbing all around and I just couldnt imagine driving that thing on the highway and having to swerve to miss an obstacle. Now mind you it was a Dodge and not a GMC/Chevy :D:cheers:... I'm sure someone will chime in that may have a slide in but good luck on what ever choice you make.

Father In Law has a 8' Lance Slide in unit. It has the queen bed in the overhang and fits his crew crab perfectly (2500 HD, Crew, D-Max, 4x4). His truck is perfectly stable and will haul the 2500 lb camper (loaded) and pull the 4500 boat/trailer combo at 65-70 with no problems. Up the Utah and Colorado passes he slows down, but not that much. That said, he can not run a slalom course with the combo, but pulling an trailer is not going to allow you to do that.

It really comes down to your and in reality, your families comfort, as well as your use. Example, if you are just using the camper for a bunkhouse while you are at the lake, and you spend most all of your time outside, then a slide in would be great. However, if all you do is fish from 5:00a.m.-9:00a.m., come back to camp and hang out in the camper, then hit the lake for 4 more hours, and then come back and hang out in the camper, then you are going to want something with a lot more room.

In the case of my in-laws, it is just the two of them and their dogs. The dogs (big labs) sleep in the truck cab at night (dogs choice, they have a pass thru between the camper and the truck). They spend the day on the boat, or at camp outside. So their unit works great for them. Even when it is raining, there is plenty of room for the two of them.

Hey Mannymach1 - Welcome !

I've got a Northstar 850SC slide-in and it's awesome. It's a popup style camper so it's a lot more stable on the road (especialy in the wind), it's got a lower center of gravity as compared to a regular slide-in, and it's lighter. It's also a very well respected brand - super quality materials and great fit & finish. Another nice thing about the popups is that they're better suited for light offroading. Comes in handy when you want to 'boondock camp'. Plus, you don't have to worry about pulling anything behind you. My Northstar has 36 gallons of water, hot water heater, 2 showers (one inside & one out), furnace, stainless sink, 3 cubic foot fridge, stove, built-in toilet, dual batteries, solar panel, etc..... Oh yeah, and a queen bed with a real mattress!

Can you tell I like mine?

http://www.northstarcampers.com/850SC.asp

The 2500HD hauls this camper just fine - Upgraded shocks are a must though. Also, if you have your bars cranked, your front end will be high enough that you'll need to adjust your headlights.

:cheers:

I have a sun-lite 8 foot pop-up mounted on my short box 2500LD and it's very very stable. Actually the truck rides soo much nicer with the camper on it. Pulls the boat great too. If you do go the truck camper route I highly recommend the TorkLift frame mounted tie downs...a bit more expensive but they sure work great and protect your truck too.

Good Luck!!

Lance

Archived