Is There A Chip In The Key??

strange thing about those keys..

I think the 99's do have em because when the shop installed the remote start with my viper we had to order an extra key because the unit has to have the key set in a box so that it can pick up the signal and allow the remote start to work.

nope, no chip , but without the right cut the passlock sensor in the lock cylinder wont let the fuel pump turn on, as for the bypass box for remote starts im not sure on the trucks , but kinow they need them on some of the cars

From GM's site:

Anti-Theft Systems

PASS-key theft-deterrent system

To reduce the risk of car theft, many GM vehicles feature the patented PASS-key theft-deterrent system. Each ignition key has a black, coded resistor pellet embedded in the key. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it, the system reads the resistor. If the system doesn't get the correct code, the car won't start.

PASSlock theft-deterrent system

Similar to PASS-key is the PASSlock theft-deterrent system. With PASSlock, when you turn the ignition lock, a sensor in the lock sends a resistance code to the on-board computer. If the code isn't correct, the computer shuts off the fuel to the vehicle's engine. PASSlock doesn't require a coded resistor pellet in the key.

Both systems have been incredibly successful in limiting theft of GM vehicles. In fact in 1984, before this system was developed, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that 13 of the top 20 stolen cars were GM models. By 1995, no GM vehicles were on the top 20 list.

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra and installed a remote starter, so I got pretty familiar with the PassLock systems. The PassLock is in the full size trucks at least up to 2000, I don't know about anything over that because I don't have one - but the idea is when you turn the key the lock sends the resistor value through to the computer and the computer starts the fuel pump. If you don't have a passlock bypass module for the remote start, and the key doesn't physically turn in the lock, the code isn't send and the engine won't start.

The moral of the story is: You can go get a spare key made and not worry. As long as it turns in the lock the code will be sent and the engine will start.

Hope that helps  :)

I am a commercial locksmith . but i keep up somewhat with auto locks. mostly with whatever vehicle im driving. The keys for our trucks DO NOT have chips or resistors of any type in the key(such as the V.A.T.S. system used in the camaros and some other G.M. vehicles) They are standard key blanks.

as a matter of fact for those of you who dont like the large round-ish head. the blanks from the old body style 99s(remember the small thick rectangle head?) are the same blank with a different head(plastic part).   and if you dont want the plastic head altogether, Ilco makes a blank that is all metal(nickle/brass) which is ideal for putting in magnetic key hiders and for those people who like to keep keys in there wallets.

Alittle advice concerning keys: always try to keep one of your original keys in a safe place to use as a key for copies to b e made from. in other words, when you get a new vehicle make a copy of one of the factory keys and then put the factory key away,  and give  your wife the copy. while you use the other factory key for your self. over the years your keys will wear,and somewhere down the line you will need a new key cut. and you will have a nice new non worn key to copy from. also helps when its time to sell the vehicle and the person test driving sees a set of nice sharp keys rather then worn keys with rounded nubs.

Archived