evap emission canister location??

Finally found it! The EVAP vent solenoid on my Extended Cab/Short bed is on top of the truck frame, driver's side, right below the edge of the Cab, pressed up against to the gas tank. Not much room to work around it. To get access to that part it might have been easier to drop the tank, but did not feel comfortable doing that. But after a while (almost an hour), I managed to wiggle it out of that tight space. Slowing me down were wire looms in the way, the old solenoid was big for that tight space, couldn't remove the big bracket from the solenoid, was taking my time to ensure I don't destroy anything, etc.

Using AC Delco part 214-2082, I installed the more compact vent solenoid in the old location. The Filter Box Assembly was installed underneath the center of the truck, against the gas tank. 5/8" heater hose connects filter box to the solenoid, and the solenoid to the truck.

Paid about $100 for parts (including hose, clamps and zip ties), $12 to rent the lift at the military base. Saved myself the $600 a mechanic quoted me to do the job. Hopefully the attached pictures help.

For starters take the generic Chilton's and throw it in the circular file and get a real manual the OEM FSM with the correct info. No you do not have to remove the tank it can be accessed from underneath or by lifting off the box.

Does anyone know if you must remove the fuel tank in order to change the vent valve solenoid? I have the new part in hand (#19152345), but I don't see how to access the solenoid. Any ideas? Oh, this is on a 2002 Silverado Z71 5.3L. Thanks.

were you able to find a fix to this? if so, you mind sharing the how to's?

Can anyone help me out, and be specific where you found your vent valve solenoid? I have an '06 Silverado 1500 5.3 Extended Cab Short Bed. I looked around the bottom of my truck, near the tank, and I can't seem to find it. Is is inside a box, or behind something?

I did searches on this forum. I even have a Chilton's shop book for my truck. None of there resources helped me. Looks like Chevy installed this solenoid in a "non-standard" location for this certain truck.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

post-39641-1249575890_thumb.jpg

post-39641-1249576005_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
2001 Yukon 5.3 wondering where the evap emission canister is located. throwing code 446. Flunky parts guy at deealer said it was located above the fuel tank or right inside the tank which doesn't sound right to me. Any thoughts on it location or where I could find a diagram on line? thanks TB

I just went through this with my Tahoe, the Yukon and Tahoe locations are not the same as the trucks. The Charcoal canister is located on the passenger side of the fuel tank.

The EVAP vent is mounted above the rear differential at the back of the fuel tank, it is mounted to the frame. You can follow the vent hose from the Charcoal canister all the way along the top of the gas tank to the EVAP vent.

This is the larger of the three hoses.

• 4 months later...

I just spent 15 minutes pumping 10 gallons of gas into my 2004 QS Denali. Pump a few cents of gas and the nozzle shuts off. Would this bad selonoide cause this? I have the same obd code, p0466 on and off for the last 3 weeks and problems putting fuel in the truck at any gas station.

Thanks for any help.

• 8 months later...

Dusting off this post...

03 Sierra 1500 (5.3) with same P0446 code. Truck is tough to start when warm weather arrived. Cranks w/out starting, then when I try again...she starts right up. Fuel Pressure Regulator has been changed and didn't help. Could it be the solenoid for the EVAP is stuck?

... P0446 code. Truck is tough to start when warm weather arrived. Cranks w/out starting, then when I try again...she starts right up. Fuel Pressure Regulator has been changed and didn't help. Could it be the solenoid for the EVAP is stuck?
Welcome boomerang

If vent is stuck closed, and if fuel tank is under negative pressure, it could cause fuel delivery problems.

Loosen gas cap to vent, see if it cures hard start problem.

That said, I'd remove vent valve, blow out, bench test for proper operation

• 3 months later...

that dosent really tell us where it is located. i think i see it where the space between the bed and the cab come together you can see it held on by 2 bolts and one has a ground attached. is this the part? if not please let me know where to look - do we need to remove the bed or the tank?

...do we need to remove the bed or the tank?
No. It is between cab and bed, about the size of a pack of smokes with a bracket. Trace evap hoses. One will lead to evap vent solenoid.

• 4 months later...

Archived