Photo
- - - - -

dex cool coolant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 garyhmb

garyhmb

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

i got my coolant flushed out of my 2002 silverado at a local shop and they replaced it with the green type of coolant instead of the the dex cool coolant that it came with from the factory. by the way it had 60,000 miles when this service was done. will using the green coolant damage my truck in any way or should i replace it with the dex cool coolant asap.

#2 overkill

overkill

Enthusiast

• 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

Well..... I have read on other forums where it IS ok to put the green stuff in and some people have even recommended doing it. At the same time there are those that will say "GM designed it to use brand X and thats all you should use".

My question is what did the shop say their reasoning was for putting the green stuff in and not the pink stuff like they took out. They are supposed to return it to you with whatever is factory recomended, for warrenty purposes. You wouldnt put 85w-140 lube in the rearend if it calls for 85w-90. Or non synthetic if it specifies synthetic.

Anyway, I'd call them back and ask WTF? Maybe even call the dealer. If there is a good reason for the green being installed, then fine. The new guy must have done it isnt a good reason. Otherwise, they need to change it again at NO CHARGE!
2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel 4wd
AMSOIL fluids, air filter
Tonneau cover, Step bars

#3 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Senior Enthusiast

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,911 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

I would want the DEX-COOL put back in ASAP!!! :cheers:

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#4 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:17 PM

The truck came with DexCool and that is what should be back in it. I do not think the green af will "hurt" anything but it is not the same technology as DexCool. DexCool is less "abbrasive" on the system and is designed to be more compatible with all the materials that is must travel through, ie. alum, plastic, iron, rubber etc etc.

I would also suggest you add a bottle of Lubegard's Kool it. You can check it out on their website but it is recommended by Modine and an excellent additive for reducing Electrolisis which is a real enemy to any modern cooling system.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#5 454ss

454ss

Enthusiast

• 215 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:50 AM

keep the green stuff, ive seen and heard from both mechanics and individuals that the dex-crap seems to be the cause for the early failure of intake gaskets and water pumps, and it corroads worse than normal antifreeze, both my 97 and my 02 use to get a lot of pinkish/white crusty crap around the radiator cap but after switching to the old green stuff it went away. just flush it more often like you use to do and all will be fine, ive been running the old green stuff in my 97 since 99 when the intake gaskets went and i put it in my 02 as soon as the warranty was up.

#6 GM-Tech

GM-Tech

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:52 AM

i got my coolant flushed out of my 2002 silverado at a local shop and they replaced it with the green type of coolant instead of the the dex cool coolant that it came with from the factory.

The green coolant will be fine. The only difference is now you need to flush the system every two years/30,000 miles instead of 5/150,000.

#7 TEE

TEE

Enthusiast

• 355 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

Well my dexcool on my 04' Sierra has 30k on it and the sludge is building up in the tank! :cheers:

#8 diverlloyd

diverlloyd

Enthusiast

• 68 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

Well my dexcool on my 04' Sierra has 30k on it and the sludge is building up in the tank!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should get that checked out. The coolant sludging up is supposed to be an indication of an air leak somewhere; air is coming in contact with the coolant like through a gasket.

#9 Buggle_96

Buggle_96

Enthusiast

• 288 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

I have heard nothing but nightmares about the dex-cool stuff.
2005 ECSB Silverado 5.3L H.O.
Wait4me tune - Hot Tune 91+, with towing improvements.
Flowmaster Cat-back Kit #17362 - Love It!
aFe Stage II intake kit
Dual Aeroforce's on the pillar
DeeZee Black Powdercoated nerfs

Soon to come:
17" Weld Stonecrusher's wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG A/T KO's
Possible 4.10s.....?

#10 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

I still cannot understand the comments on the DexCool. I have used it in the past 3 Dodge Caravans that I drive for work with no issues at all. I would flush the factory AF at 50K and run the vans to approx 130K with no sludge and no issues. I also ran it in my Wife's Intrepid from 30K to 125K before selling it with no problems. It is now in my 02 Yukon and when I flushed it a couple of months ago the factory AF looked great. I do not doubt there has been issues but I am just asking were they really caused by the Dexcool or some other reason?

By the way, I work in the Auto Parts Industy and sell thousands of gallons of Dexcool each year through our Distribution Centers and stores and I know of not even one complaint or issue that we have ever had.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#11 GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat

Enthusiast

• 650 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

Almost every Dex-cool problem people talk about are coincidental. Dex-cool gets blamed for many things that are unrelated, but happened about the same time. For example, intake gasket leaks. People blame Dex-cool, but the fact is GM started switching away from the cardboard intake gaskets to plastic & rubber intake gaskets sometime in the mid-90's close to the time GM switched to Dex-cool. Dex gets blamed for that a LOT, but most people don't realize that engines with that type gasket had leaks even with green coolant.
A lot of the brown sludge people found in the cooling systems happened to be residue from factory-installed sealing tabs (there are TSBs on this).

There are several other things as well. IMO, Dex is just as safe as the green stuff.
Shawn
Posted Image

#12 Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Enthusiast

• 519 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:48 AM

C & A s Dad and GnatGoSplat are right. This silliness is like a virus all over the net on how evil Dexcool is. One day someone might actually post facts instead of conjecture.

#13 GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat

Enthusiast

• 650 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

One problem is that mechanics are fueling the fire.
My brother-in-law needed a lot of work on his late-90's Monte Carlo w/3100 V6 because the lower intake manifold gasket leaked. The mechanic told him the cause was Dex-cool and to switch over to green coolant.

I KNOW that wasn't true, because GM switched the 60-degree V6's over to rubber+plastic lower intake manifolds in 94. GM switched those engines to Dex-cool in 96. The 94 and 95's have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Since those engines were more widely used 96-on, people have incorrectly connected Dex-cool to the leaky LIM problem when it was actually a design or materials defect with the LIM. In the mid-90's, GM switched to that style gasket across the board. They recognized its problems and made improvements to the design, I believe in 2002.
Shawn
Posted Image

#14 454ss

454ss

Enthusiast

• 215 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:48 AM

use what ever makes you happy but i know for a fact my trucks cooling systems have stayed cleaner inside with the old green stuff. i would rather flush the system more often anyway, just good maintenence in my opinion.

#15 Z-Factor

Z-Factor

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:40 PM

C & A s Dad and GnatGoSplat are right. This silliness is like a virus all over the net on how evil Dexcool is. One day someone might actually post facts instead of conjecture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.noln.net/...s/feature3.html

http://www.consumera...gm_dexcool.html