quick disconnects on heater hoses

Hey everyone,

Changing my coolant in my 2000 Z71 one of my heater hoses decided to snap off where they go into the heater core at the fire wall. I had to 'mcguiver' a fix using a larger diametre hose over the quick disconnect, then a reducer fitting to fit the heater hose, a couple of clamps and off I go.

I can't figure out how the quick disconnects work.....do they just work like air hose disconnects or is there some kind of trick to realease the hoses? I don't want to get too rough with them incase I break them off.

Any help would be appreciated and better yet.....if someone has some pics of releasing the hoses from the disconnects, that would be awesome!!

Thanks......... :cheers:

I had the same thing happen to mine. I just took a hack saw blade and cut that stupid plastic disconnect off and just slid the hose over the aluminium heater core opening and clamped it down. It's been working for a couple of years now like that with out one single problem with the heater. Why waste the $$$ on replacing a stupid piece of plastic? :cheers:

I had the same thing happen to mine.  I just took a hack saw blade and cut that stupid plastic disconnect off and just slid the hose over the aluminium heater core opening and clamped it down.  It's been working for a couple of years now like that with out one single problem with the heater.  Why waste the $$$ on replacing a stupid peice of plastic?  :cheers:

Thats sounds like a great solution. Im all over that!!

How the heck did you get a hack saw in there?

So the disconnect is attached to an aluminum heater core pipe?

When my heater hose broke off it was connected to a plastic pipe.......thats what broke.

I can just imagine the $$$$ involved to replace the heater core if I screw up taking the disconnects off.

:P

I had the same thing happen to mine.  I just took a hack saw blade and cut that stupid plastic disconnect off and just slid the hose over the aluminium heater core opening and clamped it down.  It's been working for a couple of years now like that with out one single problem with the heater.  Why waste the $$$ on replacing a stupid peice of plastic?   :cheers:

Thats sounds like a great solution. Im all over that!!

How the heck did you get a hack saw in there?

So the disconnect is attached to an aluminum heater core pipe?

When my heater hose broke off it was connected to a plastic pipe.......thats what broke.

I can just imagine the $$$$ involved to replace the heater core if I screw up taking the disconnects off.

:P

I took the blade off the saw and that gave me plenty of room.

If you look closely near the firewall you will see 2 aluminum pipes comming out of the wall. These are what the plastic disconects are attached to. I'll try to take a picture of mine and email it to you if you want so you can see what I am talking about. I truly can't see what the d**n purpose was to using those cheep plastic connectors in the first place.

I took the blade off the saw and that gave me plenty of room.

If you look closely near the firewall you will see 2 aluminum pipes comming out of the wall. These are what the plastic disconects are attached to. I'll try to take a picture of mine and email it to you if you want so you can see what I am talking about. I truly can't see what the d**n purpose was to using those cheep plastic connectors in the first place.

Awesome...........thanks for the clarification.

If you could send me a pic that would be perfect.

My email is [email protected]

I certainly agree that those disconnects are a completed retarded ideas.........wouldn't be so bad if they simply disconnected like air hoses.

Thanks again!!........... :cheers:

Archived