ECM B Fuse keeps blowing

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 ex cab 4.8.

In the fuse box under the hood the 20a ECM B fuse keeps blowing. When it does it shows the gas gauge as empty and the engine turns over but does not fire. It has blown 3 times. Today it blew again, I replaced it with a 25a as that is all I had as a spare. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

TIA

That could be a tough one. There's something shorting out in the PCM harness, BCM, dash or the ignition circuit. There are litterly 100's of connections on that circuit.  Unlikley it's the PCM itself.

This one may take some pro help!

Is it possible that my XM unit that is plugged into one of the three outlets is doing it? Or is that on an entirly different thing? Are those outlets in any way connected to something that could blow that fuse?

maybe I'm mistaken but the A and B fuse  is mostly the injector drivers and such on the engine.

If so, unplug injector harnesses on engine and go from there.

I believe the fuse is for the fuel pump and what I think is going on is that the fuel pump is drawing to many Amps and causeing the fuse to blow, my advice replace the fuel pump. Also its not a good idea to replace a fuse with a larger fuse as damage to wirring and other componets could result.

• 4 years later...

i had the same problem, changed the fuel pump and everything was fine. my old pump still worked but the sock/filter/screen on the bottom of the pump was so dirty the pump was pulling too many amps and blowing my ecmB fuse. because i had already dropped the tank and all i put a new fuel pump assembly in. first check for shorts in the wiring...just giggle the wire from engine to tank and see if anything changes. i checked my fuel pressure which was 5lbs low 50lbs instead of 55-60lbs, also when removing the pressure regulator hose the pressure jumped up 5lbs which meant that was ok as well. all that was left was the fuel pump and it WAS the problem. hope this helps people in the future.

Will

• 6 months later...
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 ex cab 4.8.

In the fuse box under the hood the 20a ECM B fuse keeps blowing. When it does it shows the gas gauge as empty and the engine turns over but does not fire. It has blown 3 times. Today it blew again, I replaced it with a 25a as that is all I had as a spare. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

TIA

I just had this same problem yesterday (2000 Silverado 4.8L). After tracing the electrical schematic in the ol' Haynes manual, it turns out the ECM B fuse leads only to the fuel pump and fuel level sensor. So then begins the elimination process: Is it the pump, sensor, or a electrical short? With key off and a good 20amp fuse in place, I reached around to the top of the tank and pulled the pump power connector (the flat one). Turning the key on resulted in a blown fuse, meaning one good thing: not a faulty fuel pump. Key off, another good fuse, and again reaching around the tank, I pulled the fuel level sensor connector (the square one). Key on, and another blown fuse leads to one conclusion: a short somewhere between the underhood fuse center and the connectors. In my case, it was a dirty and corroded connector. It was nice not having to replace the pump, but with 90k miles on it, it could go at any time.

Archived