Photo
- - - - -

Lifter noise?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doozer

Doozer

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

My 2002 Siverado with 5.33 liter engine has 48.000 miles, but lately, on start up, it will make a tapping sound that goes away after a few seconds. It sounds like lifters to me, can anything be added to the oil to quiet it?
Thanks,
Rich

#2 ken1mod

ken1mod

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,150 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Get used to it, it doesn't seem to hurt anything. mine has 112000 miles on it. Many call it piston slap but it seems to go away too fast for that. I guess I am with you on the lifter thing.

Ken

#3 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:33 AM

Rich, this subject comes up a lot. I am in the auto parts business and have been for 25 + years. I would recommend Rislone. Change your oil, leave out one qt of oil and add one qt of Rislone. It is a 10W 30 oil based product and has been around for years. It in not a "mechanic in a can" but if you have a weak lifter or one that is being affectecd by gum and varnish, it will likely cure your problem. You can leave it in there until your next change or change early if you would like. It will not hurt a thing. I have sold hundreds of bottles and it usually works.

Will you have to use it again? Maybe but maybe not. If it does work, I would question your motor oil or frequency of service because if the oil is doing it's job and you service it well, there should be no gum or varnish build up.

We have always told customers: "If it does not fix your lifter problem, you can get out your wrenches".

Remember, there are thousands of chemicals produced for cars, many are made to sell, only few are made to use. IMO, Rislone is one of the good ones.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#4 asepgrad98

asepgrad98

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,284 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

another shade tree method its put a qt of ATF in the oil and let it run for a 5 mins before you change the oil.
2002 Silverado 5.3L 2WD Ext. cab
Escalade door handles
Amber DRLs
15.61@87mph stock

#5 ken1mod

ken1mod

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,150 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

My brother just bought a new clk430 Mercedes Benz. 75000 dollars. It has amazing clicking noise for a solid 30 seconds and the dealer calls it normal. His is definitely piston slap.

I lean towards judging an engine at operating temperature and accept reasonable mechanical noises for the first few seconds until design parameters of the engine are reached i.e. temperature and oil pressure. Proper clearances are with a hot engine, not ice cold. Mine has a slight click for maybe 3 seconds, then wonderful silence. A lifter leaking down overnight is not cause for alarm as long as it settles down quickly.

My genuine recomendation is light noises that go away almost instantly are unimportant and not worth wrenching around with. Turn the stereo up louder.

Ken

#6 BOBCAT5544

BOBCAT5544

Enthusiast

• 913 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

Document ID# 1206539
2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace O-Ring) #02-06-01-038 - (12/02/2002)
Models: 2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette
2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2003 GMC Sierra
with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause
The O-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction
Inspect the O-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts
Part Number Description Qty
12563963 Seal-O/Pmp (O-ring) 1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Automotive Back Ground ASE Certified Master Tech, GM Certified Master Tech, GM Certified Advance Master Engine Proformance, GM Certified Advance Master Electronics and Programing

Posted Image
2002 Silverado 2500hd 496 8.1L 4x4 Custom fit Magna Charger and Costum tune done my self, 5 speed Allison 1000 stage 4 ATS Billet Transmission with ATS CoPilot Electronic Transmission Controller, 3 inch lift. Super Swamper LTB Tires 33 x 13.50 on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Rims 16x10, Westin wheel to wheel step bars and brush guard, double roll single kicker roll bars. 4 kc lights on brush guard and 8 kc lights on the roll bar

Posted Image
1978 VETTE With ZZ383 Crate Engine, Weiland 6-71 Blower, 2 Holley 750 Carbs, 9 Ford 40 Spline, Strange Spool, 40 Spline Axels, Gun Drilled, Strange Alum Center Section, Big Pinion, 4.11 Richmond Pro Gear

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ME
JONESY'S MYSPACE PAGE

#7 Doozer

Doozer

Enthusiast

• 23 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't think this noise comes back after it has been running as the service bulletin suggests. It seems to be present (and not even always) at start up and up to about 3 seconds later only. I have had the truck for a few years, since about 24,000 miles and have changed oil and filter every 3,000 miles, sometimes stretching to 4,000 or 4,500 mile intervals. I will try the Rislone at my next oil change.
Thanks again,
Rich