Stock 2500 HD Rim Offset / Backspacing

Hey all...new to this forum...

Can't seem to find any info on my stock rims' offset / back spacing (16x6.5). I know I can remove the tire and measure it myself, but was hoping to avoid that.

Does anyone know what it is?

It's for a 2004 Sierra 2500 HD SLE Crew/4x4...it was equipped with the forged alloy wheels that are normally only available on the SLT.

Basically, I may want to do the Fabtech 9" Coilover Conversion w/Uniball, and need to pick out new rims that won't rub w/37" tires.

I was told by Discount Tires that I'd need something between a -6 to a +12 offset for 33's or 305's, but wondering what I'd need for 37's.

Is there a calculator out there anywhere where I can key in the make/model/tire size to determine optimal rim offset?

Thanks in advance

4.5" bs would work im thinking ?

Thanks CHevyHD4x4,

I had heard somewhere else that it might be closer to 5" for my truck with a 10"-wide wheel.

Also found the formula:

offset = (backspace - (Rim Width in inches / 2)) * 25.4 (to convert inches to mm)

So assuming the formula is correct, that'd give me:

-12.7mm offset on a M/T Classic II or Procomp 1079 16x10 rim with BS of 4.5, or

0mm offset on the M/T Classic II 17x9 w/BS of 5", or

-6.35mm on the Procomp 1079 17x9 w/BS of 4.75"

Still wondering whether that'd clear all the brake/suspension hardware since my current wheel is only 6.5" wide (assuming it had 0 offset, that'd only put the inner rim edge 3.25" back from center toward the brake, whereas a 10" rim w/0 offset puts it back 5", so a difference of almost 2 inches).

Does that sound right?

So, that's why I'm wondering what the actual offset is on the stock 6.5" rim; it'll tell me if it's more or less than 3.25 BS and give me a better idea on how much room I have to play with on the wider rim.

Thanks,

I think you may be right. I had another look (just eyeballing it), and it seemed that the bolt plane was only about an inch or inch-and-a-half back from the front of the rim.

So a 4.5 bs (or there abouts) should work.

Hey all...new to this forum...

Can't seem to find any info on my stock rims' offset / back spacing (16x6.5).  I know I can remove the tire and measure it myself, but was hoping to avoid that.

Does anyone know what it is?

It's for a 2004 Sierra 2500 HD SLE Crew/4x4...it was equipped with the forged alloy wheels that are normally only available on the SLT.

Basically, I may want to do the Fabtech 9" Coilover Conversion w/Uniball, and need to pick out new rims that won't rub w/37" tires.

I was told by Discount Tires that I'd need something between a -6 to a +12 offset for 33's or 305's, but wondering what I'd need for 37's.

Is there a calculator out there anywhere where I can key in the make/model/tire size to determine optimal rim offset?

Thanks in advance

If you have the stock factory Aluminum wheels which by the way are not forged, you will have 5" BS. These wheels only have a load rating of about 2400lbs per wheel.

Archived