Photo
- - - - -

Exhaust leak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 clm7214

clm7214

Enthusiast

• 236 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Ive got an exhaust leak but cant find it. Are there gaskets on the collectors? I cant find it and really dont wanna take off the headers. It goes away when it warms up, but just knowing its leaking drives me nuts. Thanks
Black 09 Sierra 2500HD Duramax, CCSB, SLT, 4x4. Every option except sunroof.

04 2500HD 6.0 152,000mi (SOLD)

#2 KICK

KICK

Enthusiast

• 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

better reason for fixin it might be that you ould be poisoning yourself.

#3 95Sierra2500

95Sierra2500

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,046 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:07 AM

If it goes away when it warms up, that sounds like one of your donut gaskets, or a gasket between the cat and one of the pipes is shot. Get up under there and find it and your truck will sound 100% better.
1995 Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 - ext. cab, long box, 350, auto, power everything...beater for the winter

1998 Grand Prix GTP - Just a V6, but it'll hang with most V8s..whoops a bunch too with exhaust, intake, and a smaller pulley

1968 Firebird - work in progress, looking for 11's all motor

1999 GMC Jimmy - The wifey's ride

#4 Jimmy J

Jimmy J

Enthusiast

• 211 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

I'd be looking for a faulty gasket. I'd replace any that may be leaking. And here's a great tip courtesy of my local mechanic, (not a STEALER)...a guy I'd trust with my life.

When tightening your bolts whether it be to a specific torque spec or not, once you've reched the desired tightness, back it just a hair, then retighten it again. This helps to better seat the nuts & bolts due to variations in their manufacturing i.e., burrs and such. This will help prevent loosening over time. A great tip for any exhaust related issues and the tightening of nuts & bolts in general!

Edited by Jimmy J, 08 September 2006 - 06:35 AM.

Black '06 Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.0L 4L80E 4x4
Click Here for pics
Insured by: GLOCK .40 S&W
Mods: K&N Air Charger, MSD Super Conductor Wires, BullHide Spray On Bed Liner, Peragon Bed Cover, TruckTec Steps, Vette Red Brake Calipers, Tekonsha TBC, 7" Dual Screen Dvd, Curt Front Mount Hitch (for SNOWSPORT Plow).

#5 slowpokebanshee

slowpokebanshee

Enthusiast

• 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

check the driver side exhaust manifold for the furthest bolt back, maybe broke the head off the bolt and leaking there.....seen a hundred of them on 6.0 litres

#6 ZZ327

ZZ327

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,322 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

does it kind of sound like a rattling sometimes when you first start it especially when you back up?

then in driving you get a Tingting ting ting ping ping. ??? Ive got the same prob, I think. What the hell is that? Ive only got 13000 miles on my 05!!

ive only noticed it when cold, and since it came back from the dealer for warranty work and alignment

Edited by ZZ327, 30 September 2006 - 11:09 PM.

#7 whmayhew

whmayhew

Enthusiast

• 127 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:25 AM

check the driver side exhaust manifold for the furthest bolt back, maybe broke the head off the bolt and leaking there.....seen a hundred of them on 6.0 litres

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought a 99 GMC 2500 recently off a wholesale lot and I have that ticking also. Replaced the round steel gasket but still made that ticking. I got to checking the exhaust manifold and there were only 3 bolts there. Took the exhaust manifold off and 2 of the bolts were broke off even with the head. The other one was sticking out enough to get it with vice grips. Both of the end ones are the ones that are broke off even with the head. I will put it back together this morning with 4 new updated bolts and a new gasket. Hoping this works. Does anyone have any ideas (easy) to get the other bolts out? :)
2007 Chevrolet Crewcab LTZ Vortec MAX 4.10 gears. She's going to pull good next year. No mods yet.

#8 clm7214

clm7214

Enthusiast

• 236 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:01 PM

I checked the exhaust manifolds this weekend and a bunch of the bolts were loose. I hate exhaust gaskets!!! Those of you who put new exhaust manifold gaskets on the 6.0L, which brand did you use? And does ARP make exhaust manifold bolts for the 6.0L?

#9 Mattt

Mattt

Enthusiast

• 414 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:30 AM

does it kind of sound like a rattling  sometimes when you first start it  especially when you back up?

then in driving you get a Tingting  ting ting  ping ping.    ???      Ive got the same prob, I think.  What the hell is that?  Ive only got 13000 miles on my 05!!

ive only noticed it when cold, and since it came back from the dealer for warranty work  and alignment

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My '01 makes a rattling noise like this. On mine, there are two pipes before the muffler. One has a flange connection, the other is a slip fit connection with a clamp. The slip fit is where mine rattles. Doesnt matter how much you tighten the clamp, it still rattles. With only 13k, take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. Mine was "fixed" a few times under warranty, but it always comes back.

#10 whmayhew

whmayhew

Enthusiast

• 127 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

I checked the exhaust manifolds this weekend and a bunch of the bolts were loose.  I hate exhaust gaskets!!!  Those of you who put new exhaust manifold gaskets on the 6.0L, which brand did you use?  And does ARP make exhaust manifold bolts for the 6.0L?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used a gasket from the dealer, about $13 and 4 new bolts which were $3.65 each. They have a bigger head on them. With the new gasket, which is two layer of metal, and 4 new bolts the tick is gone.
2007 Chevrolet Crewcab LTZ Vortec MAX 4.10 gears. She's going to pull good next year. No mods yet.

#11 clm7214

clm7214

Enthusiast

• 236 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

I changed my exhaust manifold gaskets this weekend. FelPro from checker. When i got the old ones off they had been leaking at 5 different points. Changing them was very easy also, just make sure you clean the threads and bolts. She purrs like a kitten now instead of sounding like a bomb waiting to go off.

#12 Mattt

Mattt

Enthusiast

• 414 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

As long as you are still within the emissions warranty, which I think is 70k miles, the dealer will usually take care of these problems. They did on my 01 with broken bolts, and a warped exhaust manifold.

#13 MDenny

MDenny

Enthusiast

• 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:26 PM

Well, I have the dreaded tick tick tick and ended up being a broken bolt on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Only ticks for a minute or so then goes away when it warms up. :D I called the dealership today and asked about possible warranty work. They replied only the computer and cat converter were covered. I asked about the part in the warranty book that states exhaust manifolds were covered 7 years 70,000 miles and he said that there was no such coverage. I guess I need glasses since I can't read the brochure they put out. :cool: :flag: I will be trying to call a couple of other local dealerships and see if they will bite the bullet and help me out. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Any tsb or other info that would help me out? Sounds like this is a common problem.
Thanks,
Michael

#14 Mattt

Mattt

Enthusiast

• 414 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

The guy you spoke with at the dealership is an uninformed idiot. Was it a service writer? If so, he is either ignorant of warranty info or was trying to upsell the job. Seems like that is all any service writer wants to do, sell a job.

I would call the same dealership back and ask to speak with the service manager. If the mgr. tells you the same ask for your local GM rep's phone #, or the # to corporate GM. Work it from the top down if you get nowhere with the dealership. Im sure GM would not like to hear about a dealership not honoring a factory warranty. Its in the warranty book, it is covered, period.

Advertise Here