Thumping Noise While Turning

Hey guys, I've got a 2005 Silverado K1500 4x4 and unfortunately my current residence is in MA and my Haynes manual and garage are back there, but I'm out here in Illinois where I go to school 'til December. If anyone could shed some light on what might be going on with my truck, I'd be glad to hear from them.

I was coming home from work today and nothing was wrong, until I noticed less than a mile from my school (right after I had driven over a train track), whenever I would turn my wheel to the right or the left, it would make a thump-thump-thump-thump noise. It wasn't a grinding, and it wasn't even that loud, but it's definitely noticable and a fresh problem. Certainly hasn't been going on for more than a mile 'cuz I was literally right down the street from my school but it's a curvy street so I noticed it fairly soon after I passed the train track. The noise is not there if I'm just driving straight, only when turning. I lifted the hood to look for my power steering reservoir, thinking that it might have been empty or something, but I couldn't even find it. Like I said, my Haynes manual is back in MA and I'm in IL, and I haven't needed to do anything with the power steering fluid yet as I just bought the truck two or three months ago. Anyway, I don't know what my course of action should be. I don't have to go back to work 'til Wednesday, so I was thinking I might have to bring it into the local Chevy Service shop unless someone tells me that it's just something simple that I could take care of myself. Has anyone had a problem like this before/does anyone know what might be going on here? Thanks in advance. :flag:

Hey guys, I've got a 2005 Silverado K1500 4x4 and unfortunately my current residence is in MA and my Haynes manual and garage are back there, but I'm out here in Illinois where I go to school 'til December. If anyone could shed some light on what might be going on with my truck, I'd be glad to hear from them.

I was coming home from work today and nothing was wrong, until I noticed less than a mile from my school (right after I had driven over a train track), whenever I would turn my wheel to the right or the left, it would make a thump-thump-thump-thump noise. It wasn't a grinding, and it wasn't even that loud, but it's definitely noticable and a fresh problem. Certainly hasn't been going on for more than a mile 'cuz I was literally right down the street from my school but it's a curvy street so I noticed it fairly soon after I passed the train track. The noise is not there if I'm just driving straight, only when turning. I lifted the hood to look for my power steering reservoir, thinking that it might have been empty or something, but I couldn't even find it. Like I said, my Haynes manual is back in MA and I'm in IL, and I haven't needed to do anything with the power steering fluid yet as I just bought the truck two or three months ago. Anyway, I don't know what my course of action should be. I don't have to go back to work 'til Wednesday, so I was thinking I might have to bring it into the local Chevy Service shop unless someone tells me that it's just something simple that I could take care of myself. Has anyone had a problem like this before/does anyone know what might be going on here? Thanks in advance.  :flag:

Dang where did you get a Haynes manual for a 2005? I thought they were years behind. I want to get one for my 2004 and havent been able to find them. I know people will chime in to get the Helms Manual, but I dont have $100+ to spend on it.

$100+? Are you serious? Do you not have AutoZone in Wisconsin? Like I said, I got mine in Massachusetts at a store called AutoZone, but come to think of it, I haven't seen any out here, so maybe it's a Northeast chain, I dunno.

EDIT: And it was probably about 20 bucks.

EDIT 2: I called my dad to get the info on the manual, the complete title is the Haynes Chevrolet Silverado GMC Sierra 1999-2005 Haynes Repair Manual, so it definitely exists, dude. If you need a copy, private message me and I'll probably be able to get it to you if you're still having trouble finding it.

So not to hijack the thread, but I was just thinking I'd mention...

It sounds like one of your CV joints has a crook in it. I'd jack up the front end and manually spin the front wheels (with various steering wheel positions) and find which joint (out of the 4) is making noise or is otherwise not articulating properly. Once you know which one you can focus in on what's wrong and whether it just needs some tender repositioning, kind of like what a chiropractor does.

Archived