Didi anyone upgrade OEM Spark plugs for betters?

djfred

I went the other route and used NGK TR-55 straight copper plugs. I have to change them every 30K or so but they are less than $2 each. Engine seems to idle more smoothly with the coppers. Been using them for about 150K. IMO the only benefit to the platinum or iridium is you don't have to change them. I have seem a couple of folks ruin the head pulling a siezed plug out at 100K. I would never leave them in that long.

I went the other route and used NGK TR-55 straight copper plugs. I have to change them every 30K or so but they are less than $2 each. Engine seems to idle more smoothly with the coppers. Been using them for about 150K. IMO the only benefit to the platinum or iridium is you don't have to change them. I have seem a couple of folks ruin the head pulling a siezed plug out at 100K. I would never leave them in that long.

[/

When it comes to sparkplugs, I'm a believer in sticking with original equipment.

I am thinking about replacing them with 65K i wonder if anyone has tried a better one for performance and gas mileage. Thanks!

I changed my stock plugs out for some iridiums at 50K miles....first of all the double platinum plugs were no where near worn out and secondly I'm not impressed w/ the idle I got after installing the iridiums. Pull a couple of them out and check them before you waste your money. I also don't know where everyone is getting the .040 gap for iridium plugs since the NGK website states .060 just like their double platinum plugs. Bottom line is that the double platinum plugs although a little expensive are worth the money.

I am thinking about replacing them with 65K i wonder if anyone has tried a better one for performance and gas mileage. Thanks!

I also don't know where everyone is getting the .040 gap for iridium plugs since the NGK website states .060 just like their double platinum plugs.

Heres where everyone is getting the .040 gap,Theres a bulletin on it from GM....

Subject: Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping #03-06-04-060 - (10/24/2003)

Models: 2004 Buick Ranier

2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

2004 Cadillac CTS-V

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer

1999-2004 GMC Sierra

2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali

2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2004 Pontiac GTO

2003-2004 Hummer H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed. The new spark plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-985, is gapped to 1.01mm (0.040 inches) when the spark plug is made. The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be changed or damage to the spark plug may result. Any new spark plug found to not be properly gapped should not be used.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

• 11 months later...

I'm having a hell of a time getting the plugs to break loose in my 5.3L. Anyone have any suggestions? I have all kinds of ratchet extensions, universal joints, etc and I've broken one of the universal joints turning so hard! It's a real pain. I was able to change the front two on each side but the rear two are so difficult to get a good angle on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm having a hell of a time getting the plugs to break loose in my 5.3L. Anyone have any suggestions? I have all kinds of ratchet extensions, universal joints, etc and I've broken one of the universal joints turning so hard! It's a real pain. I was able to change the front two on each side but the rear two are so difficult to get a good angle on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

you can try pulling the wheels and fender covers off and go through there for a better angle. when you get them out, put a little antiseze compound on the threads when you reinstall the plugs. it will make your life a HOLE lot easier when you need to pull them again.. also, put some dielectric grease in the plug boots just enough to put a light coat in there... no more busting knuckles, or destroying boots.. :shakehead:

:D

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes they were a pain when I changed mine last year at about 100K miles (2000 Z-71 Chevy Silverado 1500).

I took my time and sprayed a little wd-40 (let it sit for awhile) on the back ones and used one of those Craftsman extension with swivels ratchet. At one point my feet were up in the air and I had my whole body weight on the ratchet to get them loose. I am 60 yrs old and that was a sight to see in the driveway!

As suggested, put some antiseize on the threads of the new plugs. Hopefully, it will be easier when I change them again at 200K miles :crackup:

Archived