Replacing Timing Chain

I was told by my mechanic that I should go ahead and replace my timing chain now that he is replacing my water pump. My 2002 Gmc Sierra 4.8 Litre Engine

has approximately 125,000 miles. Would it be a good idea for him to change my

timing chain even though I don't have any problems at this time. Although, In back of my head, I ask my self is he just trying to make more money and charge me an extra additional amount or is he being honest? If so, what brand of timing chain should he use ...an after market or should he use a dealer part?

I appreciate all of your reply's!!

Skeet

I was told by my mechanic that I should go ahead and replace my timing chain now that he is replacing my water pump.  My 2002 Gmc Sierra 4.8 Litre Engine

has approximately 125,000 miles.  Would it be a good idea for him to change my

timing chain even though I don't have any problems at this time.  Although, In back of my head, I ask my self is he just trying to make more money and charge me an extra additional amount or is he being honest?  If so, what brand of timing chain should he use ...an after market or should he use a dealer part?

Skeet

If it isn't broke leave it alone. 125K isn't anything to these motors. Find another mechanic.

I was told by my mechanic that I should go ahead and replace my timing chain now that he is replacing my water pump.  My 2002 Gmc Sierra 4.8 Litre Engine

has approximately 125,000 miles.  Would it be a good idea for him to change my

timing chain even though I don't have any problems at this time.  Although, In back of my head, I ask my self is he just trying to make more money and charge me an extra additional amount or is he being honest?  If so, what brand of timing chain should he use ...an after market or should he use a dealer part?

Skeet

If it isn't broke leave it alone. 125K isn't anything to these motors. Find another mechanic.

I'll second that!

I think the only reason he is wanting to go ahead and do it is because it will already be accessable. It's up to you if you get it done or not, but don't badmouth the guy, I think he is only trying to help you out...like I said if you are having the pump pulled, the timing chain is right there. If the chains have a 200k life and he has 125k on the motor...I would go ahead and git 'er done, but that's just me. :thumbs:

I think the only reason he is wanting to go ahead and do it is because it will already be accessable.  It's up to you if you get it done or not, but don't badmouth the guy, I think he is only trying to help you out...like I said if you are having the pump pulled, the timing chain is right there.  If the chains have a 200k life and he has 125k on the motor...I would go ahead and git 'er done, but that's just me. :thumbs:

Heck change the camshaft too cause the "mechanic" can touch it. :D

Anything that can be done easily while there is access to any part is what we in the aircraft maintenance world call "preventative maintenance". Kinda like when you rotate your tires...do you look at the brake rotors, shoes, lines...hit the lube points, if you drop your tranny pan for a fluid change do you change the filter??? Some people don't. Stuff like that...when the front end of the motor is already ripped apart it just takes a little extra time to swap out the chain. But I guess if you don't give a crap about the truck it doesn't matter much.

Anything that can be done easily while there is access to any part is what we in the aircraft maintenance world call "preventative maintenance".  Kinda like when you rotate your tires...do you look at the brake rotors, shoes, lines...hit the lube points, if you drop your tranny pan for a fluid change do you change the filter???  Some people don't.  Stuff like that...when the front end of the motor is already ripped apart it just takes a little extra time to swap out the chain.  But I guess if you don't give a crap about the truck it doesn't matter much.

Oh wow you went there...great. Well bub I am also in aircraft maintenance and have been for 26 years. Certified A&P as well. There are required inspections in the aircraft business. They are preventative and also mandated by the FAA. There is no such animal in the automotive world. I got my name in more logbooks than I care to remember. So since the qualification stage is complete I will just school you a bit...

In the aircraft business you don't change parts just because you have access. Parts are money and I still haven't see an engine changed because it lets say...leaked oil. You repair the leak and put back all the removed hard old parts... It is called maximum use till part failure. All about the $$..

You can do what you want with your money. The guy asked a reasonable question but in your world it is as I stated...Rip it apart and fix it more. No economy to what you stated and not getting maxi mun use of the vehicle as intended.

This thread isn't what I do in my vehicle maintenance so quit trying to spin on me here. But hey you don't have a clue to what I care about...Not your silly crap anyway. I guess it is easy to spend other folks money than your own. :thumbs:

It realy is optional, it depends on the owner's pocket book. IMHO, you don't need to change it. But with that said, timing belts do get some play in them and engines with your mileage typically run a little better after they have been changed. Worth the expense, probably not. But how long are you planing on keeping your truck? If you've been running synthetic oil there may not be much play in the chain. How much extra does he want to change out the chain? It's not a maintenace item. It's your call, but it's definitely.... not needed. Again, my 2 cents.

I wouldn't knock the mechanic, he's just giving you an option. That's good.

DEWFPO

Let's not blow this out of proportion. :thumbs: Sweet jesus, he asked for some d**n opinions and got some. My comment about no giving a crap about the truck was not aimed at anybody, and if you'll read my other post you'll see I said " It's up to you if you get it done or not". Don't get all spun up about stuff, it's called an OPINION and every tax paying american has one, and yes they are just like a**holes. And one more thing, don't start with the whole " it's easier to spend other peoples money" crap, I give opinions and recommendations like everyone else in this forum. Can we play nice now :thumbs:

Labor wise, it will only take an extra hour tops to change the timing chain. So you pay for an extra hour labor and the cost of the chain, cover gasket and crank seal. Saying that, on the other hand I'm not sure if the new GM engines have auto tensioners on the timing chain (some of the car engines do). If they do, they dont need replacement as they will always run tight.

If the said engine was an older version 5.0 or 5.7 I'd replace the chain for sure as they do get sloppy and throws out the valve timing slightly reducing performance.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. :thumbs:  Sweet jesus, he asked for some d**n opinions and got some.  My comment about no giving a crap about the truck was not aimed at anybody, and if you'll read my other post you'll see I said " It's up to you if you get it done or not".  Don't get all spun up about stuff, it's called an OPINION and every tax paying american has one, and yes they are just like a**holes.  And one more thing, don't start with the whole " it's easier to spend other peoples money" crap, I give opinions and recommendations like everyone else in this forum.  Can we play nice now :thumbs:

You went there so I responded in kind... :cheers:

Archived